Idiot Level questions?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
acerf

Idiot Level questions?

Post by acerf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:02 am

Hi:

I'm new to Ableton and love it but like anything complicated I'm not understanding certain parts of its workflow and deathly afraid some of the anomalies are real hardware problems - one of which was confirmed as such - rather than 'duh!'

. . I'm in clip view. I hit play and all tracks play together, cool. I then click on a clip called 'drums' and of course it's clip edit window opens as the track plays. Why do I not see the clip playing in this view in time to the arrangement. I hear it playing, and if I hit the launch button of course it plays. So e.g. you have 8 tracks playing together you click on one, it's clip edit box opens but there's no scrolling within that view, why?

.This one REALLY is driving me nuts. I have a cool scene (collection of clips). If I hit play, all's well. If I hit launch scene using that scene launch button - the clips in the scene are not playing together correctly. I can hit the back to Arrangement button and they do, unfortunately that button is coming on until AFTER the scene :P launches. It's good to figure what Ableton's reasoning is so I can adjust my expectations!

rdevries

Re: Idiot Level questions?

Post by rdevries » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:55 pm

if you launch a scene, you are playing back in clipview, if you want to playback in arrangement you should go to arrangementview and start playback

acerf

Post by acerf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Rdevries thanks but that doesn't make sense. In Session View I can play the arrangement with the 'play' button but not the scene launch button. Why?

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:16 pm

So is the problem that you want to see the playhead in the clip view move as it's playing within an arrangement in real time?
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

acerf

Post by acerf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:37 pm

interpolate, hi! You guys are making this so much harder than my question or i'm doing a miserable job of explaining. Focus your mind on this. You've created 8 cool sounding side by side tracks in SESSION view. Forget all about Arrangement view I understand the distinction between the two.

Over to the right is the master scene launch button. On top is the 'play' button. here's the issue! For me, when I push play all eight tracks launch beautifully. When I push the master scene button which should ALSO launch them, obviously, they don't play together. Forget about play heads, custom features or the differences between arrange/session views.

clearly put: BOTH the play button and the Master clip launch button should launch 8 side by side clips playing. ONLY the play button does. Why?

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:42 pm

acerf, I might understand your issue. It may be related to a button called "back to arrangement"

The button is to the right of where it says "OVR" and left of the number of bars per launch quantization. It looks likes an icon for session view with a small arrow pointing at the session. If this is disabled, it will play the arrangement instead of the session view when you hit play.

Also this button will change based on which channel/track you have selected, so make sure it is disabled for all channels
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

acerf

Post by acerf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 pm

hi Interpolate! no this is not the issue. i think as does an ableton certified guy i know this is a genuine bug, perhaps relating to my particular hardware.

i know all about the mean ol' back to arrangement button! i have not even RECORDED an arrangement yet. I am talking about the PLAY vs. the Master scene launch buttons. EACH is playing a different version of the same clips.

thx

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:56 pm

It certainly could be a bug, I presume you've already gotten in touch with Ableton's tech support.

Things I'd look for:
- Are there any clips on the Arrangement? If there aren't, then the 'Back to Arrangement" button should result in nothing sounding.
- Have any of your clips overridden the universal quantization? IIRC this is possible. If this is the case, then the clips should still play together, so long as you double-click the stop button (and therefore moving back to 1.1.1) before you click the scene launch.

If possible, could you post the set?

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:21 pm

"Focus your mind on this."

pfff, you guys are patient!

acerf

Post by acerf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 am

Warrior Bob - firstly - THANK you so much.

No, I did not get in touch with Ableton Support on this issue. Can you give me the name of someone 'good?' I got someone who is struggling with English.

So Bob, took all the precautions you recommended, no fix, so I worked around it.

Now - and tell me if this should be considered 'closed,' and I should post as another topic, I have a much more hideous problem. The back to arrangement light is NOT coming on when it should; namely I have 9 tracks and set up key automation such that 'a' and 's' keys solo tracks 8&9 killing 1-7. This is so I can employ the classic "all faders but the guitar" suddenly off for a second. Bob - I tried recording this move from arrangement view. It obeys the faders but when I save the set, the automation was ignored. Okay ... So now I close Ableton re-open fire up the set and run the set from clip view applying the automation. Same deal. Works perfectly but when set saved automation ignored. Now Bob - I notice NOTHING is causing the back to arrangement light to come on, nothing. I go into clip view massively change settings the light won't budge. I reboot, same thing. This blows! Most folks complain about the light coming on, but now I want it on as proof something is about to be changed it's 'dead.'

Also, potentially another huge bug - sometimes I am presented with the option to Save Set, Sometimes only with Save Set As - without any seeming logic at all. Arbitrary.

This is why I asked you if you have a favorite guy in support the lady I got just cut and pasted the same (totally wrong) reply 3 times.

Thanks!!!

acerf

Post by acerf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:12 am

Warrior Bob - it's official. Just opened another set. NOTHING I do in clip view causes back to arrangement light to come on.

Jeez, this is frustrating.

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:56 am

have you tried reinstalling the latest version?

acerf

Post by acerf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:59 am

Mr. Devries, I see there's an update so I'll install that. Fingers crossed.

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:06 am

acerf wrote:

clearly put: BOTH the play button and the Master clip launch button should launch 8 side by side clips playing. ONLY the play button does. Why?

in my version (latest Live8), when the backtoarrangementbutton is NOT lit, only the scenelaunchbutton launches the clips, pressing the playbutton at the top starts playback of the arrangement.
When the backtoarrangementbutton is lit, both the scenelaunchbutton and the playbutton launch the clips (and I see the scrolling in a clip).

I understand this is not what you experience?
Last edited by rdevries on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

acerf

Post by acerf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:08 am

Cheers, Rdevries. I'll do just that!