Live 9 – what will make you hop on board?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Live 9 – what will make you hop on board?

Post by sporkles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:17 am

I'm really quite content with Live 8 now. I've been trying to remember all the things I've missed (and for which I've made feature suggestions), to see how many would need to come true in order to entice me.

Like I already mentioned, I'm happy with Live as it is, but a few things may still sway me:

1 A more customisable racks solution. Eight macros = ridiculous limitation. Let it be user definable, and make instant mapping configurable from within Live's preferences, with a GUI where you can add as many parameters as you wish. I'd love being able to have a 16 macro default rack.
2 A modular user interface with scalable and movable sections (Operator interface too small? – splash it across the whole screen, if you want to. Want the device chain vertically on the right side? – No problem! All zooming should be mappable, of course – no more entering preferences to change zoom level)
3 Internal MIDI to keystroke converter, allowing you to control every conceivable function with a button press, including undo/redo, etc.
4 A way of setting hot cues and loops like in Traktor, globally as well as on a per track basis. I think I detailed this in a feature request post a while ago.
5 Probably a couple of improvements to both the performance and the production side that I can't even think of right now.
6 Under no circumstances should Live be split into two separate apps, as some people have suggested lately! If it's really such a big deal to you, DON't PRESS THE TAB BUTTON!

So, yeah: it's not bells and whistles that'll win me over, certainly, and not 64-bit either, although I'm sure it's coming.

How about you?
Last edited by sporkles on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starving student

Re: Live 9 – what will make hop onboard?

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:41 am

abletons biggest competition by far is going to be Native instruments, they're battling them on two fronts , the dj front and the beatmachine production front but as much as I really like maschine I think ableton would have no problem knocking them silly if they wanted. the thing is if you've noticed Ableton has a vibe about them not counting Robert, it's hard for me to put in words because Live is my favorite thing even though some of the
other things I use like maschine and the mpc can still do things that ableton live cannot do, I just love live, but the cats at the helm have a weird stand
offish vibe goin on that I'm not so sure has served them all that well through the years. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe it's just me but they give me that wizard of oz feeling, you know ... going to see the wizard but it's difficult as hell to get to the wizard or to communicate with them. I believe abletons competition has benefited greatly from a more open dialogue with the base as a matter of fact Maschine probably wouldn't even be here with out that open dialogue so they're reaping the fruits right now. On the other hand there is a good side to abletons character as well and no matter what else I use I don't feel complete unless Live is at the end of the chain, my only fear is that they come out with something that is obviously desirable to the point of being necessary that we need whatever it is right then, but half do it, you know like give us 95% of a ridiculously great idea but leave out the most important part of that idea which just happened to be in that last 5%.
the lack of session automation, and track comping alone has cost them allot, so whatever they've got going on in Live 9 it is sure to be great but I hope it's overly great and not 85% great and I hope if they're going to compete with maschine and traktor that they knock them outta the water, none of that apc-40 akai crap or you need to be a max genius type of business, just give us the goods and give it to us straight.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:22 am

well. if they fix their arrangement and stop it from crashing that might be a good incentive to get it, if it gets released.
then again. every other competitor is upping the ante and release some seriously awesome products, all while beating Ableton's pricingscheme, so yeah. not so sure i will go there at all.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:21 pm

starving student wrote:...as much as I really like maschine I think ableton would have no problem knocking them silly if they wanted...
YEP.

If Live added:
record to session
64 bit
made everything midi mappable
created a midi control surface editor, kind of like Traktor has
and put out a DrumRack controller

Maschine would quickly be knocked off the hype wagon.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:49 pm

but they'll never do it, simply because the two companies subscribe to totally different ethos, ableton would have to turn into the kind of company that made fulfilling feature request a priority you know give the people what they want and I don't think it's in their dna.

while native hopes that actually giving people what they want will pay off in the end. it's just two really different mindstates at play

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:51 pm

dude...before live 9 gets released....i would love if all these damn crashes are fixed. Fixing these crashes are way more valuable to me than new features.

just sayin'

peace

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:32 pm

starving student wrote:...I don't think it's in their dna.
you might be right. However, it seems like there are a few things people want to see happen with Live, i.e 64bit and Record Automation to session, On that note, if they implemented just a small handful of what people are asking, Live would easily dominate.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 pm

sporkles wrote:How about you?
A release date.

Sure there are things I want, but I feel confident that the direction Ableton is going suits me and I am willing to continue to support that.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
starving student wrote:...I don't think it's in their dna.
you might be right. However, it seems like there are a few things people want to see happen with Live, i.e 64bit and Record Automation to session, On that note, if they implemented just a small handful of what people are asking, Live would easily dominate.
well that and they would have to tightly integrate, like mosquitoes A_ _hole tight, tighter than automap to compete with maschine, and most of the request have been made for almost a decade now. :(

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:34 pm

starving student wrote:...tighter than automap to compete with maschine, and most of the request have been made for almost a decade now. :(
very true,

However, I'm not really interested in them making something like Maschine, I would rather see them implement a controller (MIDI MAP) editor that was capable of doing things that Traktor offers. If that were the case then ANY controller could be customized much easier, without python knowledge or M4L devices.

If I could map my APC40 as good in Ableton as I can in Traktor, OR, if a user could design their own workflow between their tools and the software, Maschine would all of the sudden look very limiting. Granted you can already do these things with 3rd party software and extra shit, but if you could do it natively in Ableton, BANG!

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:48 am

1. Overlapping midi and audio clips in the arrange window.

2. Fix the timing problems with incoming midi. Currently Live alters the midi timing to suit any audio that's being played back which makes midi through timing very sloppy.

3. Them there bezier thingies for creating automation curves.

4. midi CC automation in the arrange window.

5. Stop charging extra for all the devices that should be already in the standard Live.

6. EIC3 available as a free download for non-boxed Live users.

Tony

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:57 pm

starving student wrote:ableton would have to turn into the kind of company that made fulfilling feature request a priority you know give the people what they want and I don't think it's in their dna.

while native hopes that actually giving people what they want will pay off in the end. it's just two really different mindstates at play
Depends a bit on the definition of "fulfilling feature requests". Certain user suggested features gain so much support in the community that they simply cannot be ignored. If Ableton weren't dedicated to accommodate the wishes of their users, they'd be out of business. I think that what's been holding them back on key requests, like session automation and modular LFO's is that a major rewrite would be in order. 64-bit is also a much requested improvement, albeit more of a "d'uh" feature at this point in time, which would also require a completely revamped Live. My guess is that they've been holding off on several of these things till they actually decided it was time for a 64-bit version, so that they could start anew, and not having to deal with a bunch of "band aid" coding resulting from overeagerness with accommodating users. I think Ableton will make a lot of users happy with the next Live incarnation. They are clever people, they know they cocked up Live 8, they know people have grown impatient, and they don't want to repeat those mistakes.

starving student

Re: Live 9 – what will make you hop on board?

Post by starving student » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:30 pm

for sure they are clever and forward thinking and innovative which makes it all the more frustrating that they've been stringing this possible rewrite on
us for all of this time. Live is my favorite software tool it's just a shame that the best they can do now is get on par with everyone else they basically had it in the bag at version 4 and could have wiped out everyone. it's like the saying those that sleep late become fishbait, actually I just made that up
can't remember the one I'm thinking of :D but the point is c'mon ableton get it together, as it stands right now I couldn't stop using Live I just love and I think it's these sentiments that they've squandered in the past. we know whatever they do is going to be great, but will it be enough and will it be stable.
at this point they don't even really talk to us.......that sucks.

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Abterra wrote:dude...before live 9 gets released....i would love if all these damn crashes are fixed. Fixing these crashes are way more valuable to me than new features.

just sayin'

peace

No crashes here except a few third party plug-ins.

T.I.M.

Re: Live 9 – what will make you hop on board?

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:38 pm

OT:

Sporkles what do you guys mean by rougher?

d-track wrote:
Try a bass note on C then a semitone lower B. Which is rougher? If C then your rooms/studio needs some treatment.