Waves, NI, Celemony, Sound Toys - Ableton Versions!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
hmj

Waves, NI, Celemony, Sound Toys - Ableton Versions!

Post by hmj » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:46 am

IMO the native Ableton plugins have the most ergonomic UI's around. Ableton developers revolutionized this so much that it's almost a pain to use third party plugins with their annoying floating windows that take up precious real estate on our screens. Some of these (Waves in particular) are just fancy looking just for the sake of nostalgia and serve no useful purpose in terms of simple to the point functionality. I understand that some people like this so they can always use VSTs etc.

My wishlist idea is for Ableton to release an toolkit for plugin manufacturers that easily helps them port their plugins into the native Live in system. For example, imagine an Ableton version of Massive with the ergonomics of Sampler or Operator, it would be epic. Or a version of the Waves CLA Compressors that borrow from the ingenious simplicity of the Live Compressor. Throw in some color and vintage design if it will sell more units but focus on ergonomics and bin integration like the native ableton plugs - down with floating windows!

Presonus recently copied this concept from Ableton and took it a step further by having a built in Melodyne in their latest release. Presonus! I didn't even know they had a DAW but damn thats a cool idea to steal and make better! I'm actually kind of surprised Live developers let Presonus beat them to the punch. Hope Ableton doesn't suffer the fate of many great companies that start out with fantastic innovation but slow down only to let the competition steal all their ideas and wash them away.

marra

Re: Waves, NI, Celemony, Sound Toys - Ableton Versions!

Post by marra » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:34 am

I don't know man, when done right, 3rd party apps can be kinda cool. Just like there's nothing wrong with a slick widescreen TV in an ultraminimalist zen-style apartment.

I reckon Ableton would prefer keeping its UI unique for two reasons:

- More selective about what 3rd parties it throws in under its brand
- Splitting profits (a lot of which goes back into making Live even better), like with the Softube collab on Amp

hmj

Post by hmj » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:06 am

marra wrote:I don't know man, when done right, 3rd party apps can be kinda cool. Just like there's nothing wrong with a slick widescreen TV in an ultraminimalist zen-style apartment.

I reckon Ableton would prefer keeping its UI unique for two reasons:

- More selective about what 3rd parties it throws in under its brand
- Splitting profits (a lot of which goes back into making Live even better), like with the Softube collab on Amp
I totally agree dude, third part manufactures make great stuff but the floating window concept is old and outdated, there's nothing ergonomic about an extra window to distract you from what you're doing. Ableton figured this out a long time ago and as you can see with the new Presonus & Melodyne partnership others are starting to realize it too.

DAW integration is the future - check this out - http://www.ableton.com/blog/2011/12/07/ ... ces-ircam/

That's a third party manufacturer that created their own plugins using max for Live. It's unique with all it's colors etc but within the Ableton framework like native Ableton plugins.

Waves and all these companies have useless interfaces, usually only to serve nostalgia. It could be SOOO much better for the consumer if they bought into the Ableton way of thinking.

More importantly, Ableton should create a system that facilitates that implementation. This would probably be childs play for the Ableton developers.

sach160

Post by sach160 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:48 am

+1 this would be awesome, but I'm guessing just a pipe dream. If ableton bought a quality effects company like sonnox or waves or voxengo and replaced their inbuilt effects with these - that's the closest I can see us getting high quality fx built into live's user flow.