Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bizon

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by Bizon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Liam wrote:Can someone explain if Mainstage is part of the Logic 9 download app - if it is why buy Logic 9 and not just Mainstage - if you can access the Instruments anyway?
My understanding is that Mainstage is very limited compared to to Logic as far as what you can do.

Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Bizon wrote:
Liam wrote:Can someone explain if Mainstage is part of the Logic 9 download app - if it is why buy Logic 9 and not just Mainstage - if you can access the Instruments anyway?
My understanding is that Mainstage is very limited compared to to Logic as far as what you can do.
So is Mainstage part of the Logic download? Or not?

Its not quite clear at all.

:lol:

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Was kind of wondering this myself. Seems like the old "you download it I sell you my serial" doesn't apply or does it?
Looked through the app store terms and didn't see anything one way or the other. But, what are you buying anyway. If you purchase Logic Pro from the App store, you are not getting a serial (at least I don't think so) so there goes the thing that you sell to another person. I would say that there is no resale for apps, and therein lies the rub as they say.
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:41 pm

paraclude wrote:
Was kind of wondering this myself. Seems like the old "you download it I sell you my serial" doesn't apply or does it?
Looked through the app store terms and didn't see anything one way or the other. But, what are you buying anyway. If you purchase Logic Pro from the App store, you are not getting a serial (at least I don't think so) so there goes the thing that you sell to another person. I would say that there is no resale for apps, and therein lies the rub as they say.
One good thing though is that you can install on as many suitable apple devices as you own.

abl385

Post by abl385 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm

I was wondering.. how much time do I have for this deal? Are they going to raise the price again in a month or so or the drop is final?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:54 pm

I'd assume this is the new price.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:I'd assume this is the new price.
I agree. They have lowered the buy-in price but essentially increased the update price. It should really booked looked at as a pricing strategy change rather than a decrease in price. Over the life of the product, you stand to pay a lot more than you may have payed in the past. Assuming you upgrade of course.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Bizon wrote:Over the life of the product, you stand to pay a lot more than you may have payed in the past. Assuming you upgrade of course.
That doesn't make any sense at all. The upgrade price is the same as it has been the last couple of versions. So if you are paying the same price to get a new version as you were when it was considered an upgrade then the price hasn't changed at all, all that's changed is that it's no longer called an "upgrade." You're looking at it as if an upgrade price should be scaled along with the new price and I understand that, but the fact is that the numbers are really staying the same. The only people who are affected are new users, and they're affected positively by the new price.

But of course I'm someone who paid $500 for Logic 7, and that was the academic price! 8O

Retail was $1000. And it didn't come with Soundtrack Pro, or Waveburner, or Compressor at that point. (Of course a lot of that price was because the effects and instruments were all included in the package where in earlier versions they were optional like some of the Ableton instruments)
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Agreed, $199 is more than fair for an upgrade price.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:12 am

Everyone is assuming that when Logic X comes you'll have to pay the $199 again for an upgrade but we don't know that for a fact. The iLife and iWork apps never had upgrade pricing anyway, Final Cut had a massive price cut when it came to the app store as did Lion. So it's possible there will be upgrade prices for the pro apps, unlikely maybe but definitely possible.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:19 am

stringtapper wrote:
Bizon wrote:Over the life of the product, you stand to pay a lot more than you may have payed in the past. Assuming you upgrade of course.
That doesn't make any sense at all. The upgrade price is the same as it has been the last couple of versions. So if you are paying the same price to get a new version as you were when it was considered an upgrade then the price hasn't changed at all, all that's changed is that it's no longer called an "upgrade." You're looking at it as if an upgrade price should be scaled along with the new price and I understand that, but the fact is that the numbers are really staying the same. The only people who are affected are new users, and they're affected positively by the new price.

But of course I'm someone who paid $500 for Logic 7, and that was the academic price! 8O

Retail was $1000. And it didn't come with Soundtrack Pro, or Waveburner, or Compressor at that point. (Of course a lot of that price was because the effects and instruments were all included in the package where in earlier versions they were optional like some of the Ableton instruments)
Upgrade price for Mainstage and Logic Pro which were part of Logic Studio was $199.
Everything points to there being no upgrade price for Logic Pro anymore, Logic X will be $199.
Assuming that, which is very safe to assume, then Logic X and Mainstage 3 for someone who owns Logic 9 and Mainstage 2 will be $228 just like someone buying it for the first time. Mainstage is no longer part of a Logic package. If Apple change the way they do App Store purchases/upgrades then this won't be the case, but there isn't an upgrade price for Final Cut Pro or any App store app, why would Logic all of a sudden be the app that gets one?

This makes perfect sense, like I said MOTU have been doing the fixed upgrade at $199 forever, though they send you a box with a freaking HUGE manual in it.
This is IMO why Apple feels that charging $199 initially and for every new version is a good business plan, with a simple download it's cheaper for them by far. Roping people in to your DAW with a great initial price and allow them to upgrade when they feel they need the features is also smart business wise. There's no punishment for missing full versions so a user is less likely to switch DAWs when they have the money to upgrade since the price is always better than 90% of the competitions crossgrade price. Would have been nice if Logic Pro came included Mainstage for people who want both, but $29 more isn't that bad if you decide to skip Logic X and wait for Logic 12 etc.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:08 am

I agree its kind of a brilliant approach....especially saving all the hassle and waste of printed manuals and shipping DVD's around.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

beatflux

Post by beatflux » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:28 am

Anything that makes Ableton step up their game is a good thing.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:39 am

Machinesworking wrote: Pro Tools is 99% of the time a mixing and recording of bands, it's hardly ever used for composing.
*in your closed experience.

Logic is fully entrenched in the industry as a composition tool, and as a full production tool for commercials, voice overs, movie soundtracks, electronic music production and so on. Plenty of people never port any of the tracks to Pro Tools to mix down, plenty of Logic tracks go straight to the mastering house.
You didn't read I said complete production tool, or you simply don't understand.

In fact pretty much everything you comment on is shows your lack of understanding. Logic years ago entrenched itself as the most "pro" of the native DAWs, though Cubase/Nuendo and Digital Performer have their fans in the industry as well.
Fan isn't related with the post production. Your 'original' understanding is very unique and 'interesting'. No one would argue being confusing cubase with nuendo. :lol:

Are you really that dense that you think "pre production" means not "pro"? :lol:
You aregument seems so, but mine doesn't.
Logic 4 had far better MIDI in OS9 than it did in Windows, twice as many channels of MIDI could be addressed compared to the Windows version, it was also brutally stable in OS9.
Yes until os9. :lol:
A subtle advantage, but still quite clear if you had bothered to read the specs at the time instead of blurting out your prejudices 8 years later because you think you can win an argument by going on the attack without any understanding of the subject.
That's based on your 'unique' 'original' understanding and 'Fan' argument? Nice.
You're not at all worth responding to because you simply have no logic whatsoever and are in fact a troll whether you acknowledge it or not.
You gave us hype based on your subjective opinion and I said truth. Why should I be troll more than you.
Absolutely nothing you contribute is based on fact but instead is based on your prejudices and lack of understanding of a particular subject, and anybody who engages with you is essentially losing time and gaining nothing in return.
We don't consider your 'unique' understanding and 'Fans' argument as a fact at all.
I feel like a chump for having continued to treat you like an equal but from now on I won't. You're simply not worth the time.
But you couldn't suppress your feeling to post your subjective unique aregument to us. It doesn't make sense.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:41 am

nylarch wrote:I agree its kind of a brilliant approach....especially saving all the hassle and waste of printed manuals and shipping DVD's around.
Yeah, the fact is it's not any boon at all for existing users, it's like has been mentioned probably going to end up costing slightly more if you want to continue updating to the latest versions of Logic and Mainstage, but hardly anybody is going to stop using Logic because they went this route, and if you can handle skipping updates it's going to end up being cheaper. This is why I believe they will update Logic to new versions at a much faster rate, to get people to spend the $199+ at the same level or even at a yearly schedule almost. Little updates are much easier to do via an internet based software package.