Unable to send continuous CC - MIDI going out in bursts only

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
discopimp

Unable to send continuous CC - MIDI going out in bursts only

Post by discopimp » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 pm

hello,

i have this weird problem, i want to control another computer with Live via Midi CC. SO i have a variety of Midi controllers and everything works fine when i try to control things inside my live ... but when it send/route this midi device/channel to my external midi interfaces output the midi info is not going out continuously, insted a burst of midi data is only sent when i release the controller.

Did i miss a setting in live somewhere that prevents continuous controllers from being sent out ?

8O

Re: Unable to send continuous CC - MIDI going out in bursts only

Post by 8O » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Just to understand the problem: you know that CCs are not sent out continuously, despite their name? Any MIDI device will normally only send a message out when the value has changed. If the value is not changing, nothing will be sent.

discopimp

Re: Unable to send continuous CC - MIDI going out in bursts only

Post by discopimp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:18 pm

just talked to ableton support and this is a limitation of Live .. Live cannot 'route through' continuous CCs, it has to receive them first then send them on making what i want to do impossible inside Live.

I found a workaround however, a little freeware app called MIDI Patchbay (for Mac) which lets me split and reroute all my midi inputs before they come into Live.