Help With Recording drums.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BlackMetalIstKrieg

Help With Recording drums.

Post by BlackMetalIstKrieg » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey guys, I'm a complete noob at this stuff... I'm a black metal guy, so always just threw the mic down by the amp, used audacity, and went at it.

However awhile ago, I purchased The M-Audio fast track ultra... Well it came with live 7.07, just started toying with it the other night... Seems like a really solid software. I know how to record regular tracks, etc.... However. I would like to know how to record the drums.

My kit has Midi Ports, and I have a midi cable... Would I still need to use the interface? I tried just doing some drum lines with the Midi to USB going from the Computer to the drums... When I recorded, there were MIDI blips... however when I played back, I could hear nothing. The output was set to the computer speakers... Any ideas?

I also tried plugging a USB from the computer to the interface, and plugging the MIDI from the computer to the interface, with just a regular cable from the interface to the drums... still nothing.

swishniak

Re: Help With Recording drums.

Post by swishniak » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:38 am

help us out a bit: did you want to record a drum set using microphones? or are you trying to record midi clips to trigger drum samples?

BlackMetalIstKrieg

Post by BlackMetalIstKrieg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Just trying to record drums straight into computer bro.

_seph

Post by _seph » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 pm

BlackMetalIstKrieg wrote:Just trying to record drums straight into computer bro.
:roll: ... okay. I'm just going to assume you mean that you are wanting to record the sounds coming from your e-kit as audio into the computer, yes?

first, MIDI isn't sound. MIDI is control data, like note-on, note-off. You would use it if you wanted to use your drums to trigger Live's drum kits or to play drum software like BFD and EZ Drummer. Also, although MIDI isn't sound, the other benefit of using it with an e-drum kit is that it records every hit, which can later be edited and played back to trigger your e-kit's drum brain, so if you had a long take and screwed something up you can just fix the note/hit when you're playing it back without needing to redo the entire performance.

as for recording sound.. it isn't really any more complex than running an audio cable (1/4" like a guitar cable) from the drum brain's main output to the line input of your Fast Track Ultra, connect the Fast Track Ultra with a USB cable to the computer, make sure the Fast Track Ultra is selected in Live's and your computer's preferences for audio in/out and not the computer's stock soundcard, then choose an Audio track in Live, select the proper line input from the Fast Track in the Audio track, arm the track, record your abysmal beats of darkness.

I recommend taking a moment to watch the vids here- http://www.ableton.com/movies which explain/show all of this and much much more

but it really seems that reading your manuals would be the most appropriate advice.

Nilus

Post by Nilus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:15 am

You should be using the audio outs on the kit to the audio ins on your m-audio interface. Those ins should be linked to a track or multiple tracks in Live.
http://www.nilusrothschild.com
Interests: Displacing Space

BlackMetalIstKrieg

Post by BlackMetalIstKrieg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks a lot. I absolutely know nothing about recording. Played for years... recorded for none. When I did... I just threw mic on floor by the amp rofl. Thanks guys.

BlackMetalIstKrieg

Post by BlackMetalIstKrieg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Hmm... so now I have a problem with recording guitar straight into the computer. I've got the interface linked to ableton, as my Ext. In. However, when I monitor the guitar... if I play, nothing happens. I have the 1/4" guitar cable, going from the record/out port on my amp, to In1 on my Fast track ultra, what am I doing wrong?

BlackMetalIstKrieg

Post by BlackMetalIstKrieg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Well, when I had the Interface into the computer, I wasn't hearing anything at all from my computer. Loaded a youtube vid, just to see. Nothing. I plugged headphones into the interface, and heard it clear as a bell. So I can get audio from the computer to the interface, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get audio from the amp > interface > computer. Why?

Nilus

Post by Nilus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 am

Do you have your track in Live set to record and monitor?
http://www.nilusrothschild.com
Interests: Displacing Space

BlackMetalIstKrieg

Post by BlackMetalIstKrieg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Ya of course even armed it and then tried to record... but nothing would show up.

BlackMetalIstKrieg

Post by BlackMetalIstKrieg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:33 am

Well, I've got it so I can record with interface now!

But have two more questions... of course ;)

1. Is there a way I can monitor the playing from my computer's speakers rather than heradphones connected to interface? I need to get new headphones, mine are stripped.

Also, I'm pretty happy with the quality now, as you know i play black metal so it still sounds raw. but maybe just a tad little too raw. How can I clean up the extra static in Ableton?

Maybe I should use a SIM amp?