Big Disaster!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pencilrocket

Re: Big Disaster!!

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Angstrom wrote:I have no idea what pencil rocket was trying to do, I was trying to point out to the uninitiated that his utterings are less than usefull. "it's a virus" he says. Incredible work Holmes! (it clearly says "iMac", so not exactly virus central)
OS doesn't matter when infected virus. It's common sense that his mac without AVS is more insecure than the PC with AVS.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:42 pm

pencilrocket wrote:OS doesn't matter when infected virus. It's common sense that his mac without AVS is more insecure than the PC with AVS.
Macs are only at risk if their users don't know what they're doing. AVS is 100% unnecessary on a Mac. Knowing WTF you're installing *is* necessary.

Understand, "noob"?
Unsound Designer

derrick

Post by derrick » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:48 pm

100% sure i have no virus it's only a studio computer with Live installed thats it!
I have tried data rescue in demo but there is nothing i can do with a demo unless 10mb i can replace and the best thing of all i didn't found my folder back or it changes in a code name!?! it's strange i have no clue where it is..
now when i 'open recent set' i see gray light on my foldernames now is there a option how i can remove this? In case it's gone forever!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:39 am

stringtapper wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:OS doesn't matter when infected virus. It's common sense that his mac without AVS is more insecure than the PC with AVS.
Macs are only at risk if their users don't know what they're doing. AVS is 100% unnecessary on a Mac. Knowing WTF you're installing *is* necessary.

Understand, "noob"?
Are you r*tarded? Otherwise I hope that was joke. I wrote a relative comparison in two environment, whose comparison is known by everyone except you. All computer are more hackable w/o AVS. It's simple theory but you rather believe your shinny MadeInChina should be virus free because it's strawberry, no, orange, ahh was that apple? Funny macfag :lol:

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 am

pencilrocket wrote:I wrote a relative comparison in two environment, whose comparison is known by everyone except you.
Working professionally, I know several people who have had their Windows systems infected even with some brand of anti-virus software installed. I don't know anyone who has had their OSX system infected, even when no anti-virus software was installed (and there usually isn't). Actual statistics seem to back up this anecdotal observation.

If an OSX system gets infected, it's dramatically more likely that it's down to a careless user (running unknown/unofficial software, also in the context of messing with the user privileges) than a self-propagating virus.

And this is coming from someone who primarily uses a Windows system, btw. I've avoided all nasties on my Windows DAW system simply by keeping it offline at all times and running only licensed audio software on it :)

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:56 am

derrick wrote:Have some serious problems! I don't know how it comes but i have lost my mainfolder of Live. The folder where i saved my projects = everythings gone now! (probably i worked with a copy and the mainfolder was in trash) i cleaned my trash and folder is gone! Its on a iMac. so i don't know how i can recover it back i think i should get it back with kind of System recovery like on Windows.

Anyone can HELP!
Just to rule possibilities out: you are sure you didn't have it on an external hd that you have unmounted?
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:23 am

You should have used Linux.

But you lots only 7 projects. No big deal, trust me.

Now use time machine.

2be

Post by 2be » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:25 am

I also lost my library a few weeks ago. Just like that, the folder just got deleted somehow.
But at least I've taken the time to set up Time Machine since that, so now my files are a little more safe ;)

I think Ableton should look into this. Pretty critical bug imo. But who knows, maybe it's Mac OS X...

newboss

Post by newboss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:51 pm

2be wrote:I also lost my library a few weeks ago. Just like that, the folder just got deleted somehow.
But at least I've taken the time to set up Time Machine since that, so now my files are a little more safe ;)

I think Ableton should look into this. Pretty critical bug imo. But who knows, maybe it's Mac OS X...

some people just forget to repair their permissions regulary.. thats the only thing you have to do to keep the os x happy..

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:05 pm

newboss wrote:some people just forget to repair their permissions regulary.. thats the only thing you have to do to keep the os x happy..
Careful, there's a 14-year-old around here who likes to give his best video game forum insults when people say things like this.
Unsound Designer

newboss

Post by newboss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:13 pm

stringtapper wrote:
newboss wrote:some people just forget to repair their permissions regulary.. thats the only thing you have to do to keep the os x happy..
Careful, there's a 14-year-old around here who likes to give his best video game forum insults when people say things like this.
dont be scared..one day you are 14 too..

The last guy i helped with this tip was 34, internationaly known and booked every week.. he hasnt done a single permission repair in 4 years.. and.. that can cause strange things than.

glennv

Post by glennv » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Maybe a bit late, but normaly when something like this (eg complete folder or important files are lost) is to STOP doing anything with the disk in question.
Any "normal" delete operation on the OS does not realy delete anything from the disk but just indicates datablocks as reuseable.

If you have no backup then a tool like R-disk (best i found sofar and have saved enterprice level data with this on completely corrupted disks) can safe your life. You can do a full scan and find back deleted files and restore those (to a separate disk or usb as to not touch the origina disk)

The moment you start writing anything to the same disk you run the risk of overwriting your valuable files and they they are gone forever into bit heaven.

No idea if a demo version can help you here , but sometimes they allow smal files to be recoverd. (file size limitations on demo).

Anyway hope you get you stuff back and please do start improving your backup schemes.....

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:23 pm

newboss wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
dont be scared..one day you are 14 too..

The last guy i helped with this tip was 34, internationaly known and booked every week.. he hasnt done a single permission repair in 4 years.. and.. that can cause strange things than.
I'm talking about a guy named pencilrocket who's in this thread bashing people for saying things like what you said.

You did read the rest of the thread… didn't you…?
Unsound Designer

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 pm

glennv wrote:Maybe a bit late, but normaly when something like this (eg complete folder or important files are lost) is to STOP doing anything with the disk in question.
Any "normal" delete operation on the OS does not realy delete anything from the disk but just indicates datablocks as reuseable.

If you have no backup then a tool like R-disk (best i found sofar and have saved enterprice level data with this on completely corrupted disks) can safe your life. You can do a full scan and find back deleted files and restore those (to a separate disk or usb as to not touch the origina disk)

The moment you start writing anything to the same disk you run the risk of overwriting your valuable files and they they are gone forever into bit heaven.

No idea if a demo version can help you here , but sometimes they allow smal files to be recoverd. (file size limitations on demo).

Anyway hope you get you stuff back and please do start improving your backup schemes.....

^^^ This!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:51 pm

btw, to increase your chances of successful recovery, ideally you should stop running the machine while booted from the drive with the lost files on it.