Guitar amp simulators

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Guitar amp simulators

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

I don't think it's crap at all, as long as you pair it with Cab you can get soem really good tones. It just wouldn't by my first choice compared to some of the other options out there. If I didn't have my Pod HD with me, I'd be fine using Amp in the meantime.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:05 am

I think i still have a GR4 license on top of my komplete license and never went to the effort selling this. if you are interested and know how to get this done you can have the license for free.
Life is made of stories not atoms

jca78

Post by jca78 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 am

im a big fan of the pod series and of pod farm2. pod farm on disk and a pod hd500 live... honestly with the tones out of the 500, its worth checking out or demo'ing (if you have an awesome friend who would let you borrow one). more than a few are using it straight into daws now.
in the mean time, for sim pod farm 2 gets the nod... but i suspect a hd variant in the future.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:47 am

Jeroen wrote:I think i still have a GR4 license on top of my komplete license and never went to the effort selling this. if you are interested and know how to get this done you can have the license for free.
What !
That so kind of you ! Let's keep in touch in private messages ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

sach160

Post by sach160 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Of course it's all personal preference here, but to my ears Waves Gtr is the best sim and it has the best interface. Ik multimedia stuff is very dodgy with live - I avoid it. Softube amp sims are also good, but waves + soundtoys effects covers everything I need.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:25 pm

I grew up playing nice fender tube amps so I definitely go for a certain sound, but guitar rig just sounds flat to me. I've had it since V1 and have had every version up to 5 now (with Komplete). Always wanted it to be my only version but I finally broke down and bought amplitube 3. They tempted me with teh free version which has some very nice amps already. I also remeber just being blown away when I tried the jimi hendrix edition. The fenders are great as well. I managed to find someone selling V3 with the fender add-on so I picked it up. Just kills guitar rig to me. Sounds much more realistic.
Professional Shark Jumper.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:37 pm

I was surprised to get a nice clean default sound using Blues in Amp, without a Cab (still use a little compression, though), enough to keep in my template.

I'm starting to experiment with Amp more and adding Cab (not like there's many options, though, but good on CPU, as intended)

I still fool with the free version of Amplitube 3 (still have Amplitube2Live), mostly for the Spring reverbs. Good Springs are hard to come by in the windows plug-in world, and the ones in Amplitube are pretty good. I do like that you can use a couple mics and set their positions.

Also upgraded from Recabinet 2 to 3 back when it updated but I never used it much. I've found not to be interested in cabs, but it's a good price for what they've modeled.

I was never impressed with Guitar Rigs also and wasn't with Amplitube much either until they started adding stuff in version 2. I like 3 and how they have the shop for the most part.

I remember hearing Waves Gtr back when it first came out and was really impressed with it; for some reason I didn't think it would be all that but I think it's underrated.

My favorite real amp was a Fender M80 and split between using a Squire Strat and my Gibson S-1.
ImageImage

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:52 pm

What do I think of guitar VSTs?

They don't make my trouser legs flap with proper rock fury and sound. I bought a van instead and stuck with real stuff! :)
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 pm

I already have a van full and traveling a lot by plane these days. And, i am even not a proper guitarist, i play on a Squier mini (yeah, those for children) with 5 strings tuned like a hybrid of viola and violin. I just want a decent and sort of clean sound, no big flames of death.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Piplodocus wrote:What do I think of guitar VSTs?

They don't make my trouser legs flap with proper rock fury and sound. I bought a van instead and stuck with real stuff! :)
while I agree totally with that statement ( and I really like the van idea..but probably not many neighbors around eh ?)
with my current circumstances I mostly work with headphones/low volumes..

I agree.. none of the above can truly compare..to the true live sound of a nice guitar rig +decent mic or two(well placed)..
the closest I've found to reproducing that sound is Waves GTR3(at the price of CPU)
.. the "guitar gear emulations" give you total freedom with no constraints (which might be good/bad I dunno.)
to tell the truth I sold my ilok a long while ago.. and use guitarig.. but mostly not for amps/cabs..
for that.. I go to the real deal..(which I can only do in certain times of the day..sucks!)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:52 pm

chapelier fou wrote:I already have a van full and traveling a lot by plane these days. And, i am even not a proper guitarist, i play on a Squier mini (yeah, those for children) with 5 strings tuned like a hybrid of viola and violin. I just want a decent and sort of clean sound, no big flames of death.
Amp+Cabinet+LiveFX will suffice.. check out the presets in the audio rack folder..