***ABLETON AUDIO ENGINE CRASH SOLVED!!!***

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wattdogg

***ABLETON AUDIO ENGINE CRASH SOLVED!!!***

Post by wattdogg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:52 pm

THIS IS A PC ONLY SOLUTION. I'M SORRY IF YOUR SUFFERING SIMILAR PROBLEMS ON A MAC BUT THIS THREAD ISN'T GOING TO HELP YOU.

The problem I was having was that when I was working on a large projects in Ableton, the audio engine would crash.

I tried killing the process tree in task manager. The Application would close but the Process would hang for ages after and I couldn't load Ableton again until it disappeared or I restarted my machine. So annoying!!!

I tried the TASKKILL command line, TASKKILL /IM didn't work. I thought of TASKKILL /PID but task manager wouldn't direct me to the PID so I couldn't try that.

I've struggled with this for a while and I stumbled upon this website http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32648/ho ... ndows-app/

Basically, it ends all you currently running processes except the process what you system needs to run, all from the convenience of a desktop short cut.

Also, this program which is basically a more advanced task manager http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32648/ho ... ndows-app/

(Don't worry it's a totally legitimate microsoft download. Check it out if you don't trust me!)

STEP ONE (The set-up)

First, download PROCEXP from Mircosoft (it's in a zip file).
Extract PROCEXP (I put it on my desktop for convenience)
Run Ableton
Run PROCEXE
Notice all the processes running in the left column, find Ableton.
Note the PID number next to the Ableton process.
Run a TASKKILL /PIM command line. (Click on start; XP users click run and type cmd in the window that appears, Windows 7 users just type cmd into the search bar and run the program that it finds. Type "TASKKILL /PID" (without the " ") then Abletons PID number you noted from PROCEXP. It should look something like; C:\Users\YoMommaGotSweetAssTitties> TASKKILL /PID 1808)
This should kill the Ableton application and the process shouldn't hang

STEP TWO (Creating the short cut)

Right click on your desktop and create a new short cut.
Type this in as the target; C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /PID 1808 (1808 was the PID for Ableton THE LAST TIME I RAN ABLETON, THIS CHANGES EVERYTIME!!! ***SEE BELOW***)

***VERY IMPORTANT NOTE***

If you click that short cut the next time Ableton crashes it will not kill it!
Abletons PID changes everytime you run it so you need to amend the PID in the short cuts target EVERY TIME IT CRASHES (you'll need to use PROCEXP to find out what it is).
ALSO, if you use task manager to kill the process the Application will close but the Process will still hang. This guide won't help once it gets to that stage.

THE CURE! (Please follow the steps exactly)

Next time Abletons audio engine crashes, immediately SAVE YOUR PROJECT!
Run PROCEXP and get Abletons current PID
Amend the short cut target to the new PID
DON'T RUN IT YET
Now close Ableton as you usually would with the X in the top right corner. Save if prompted.
Wait until the error box regarding the audio engine appears.
DON'T CLICK ANYTHING (For some reason this only works when the message box is on screen)
Double click your short cut.

Ableton should close along with the process! NO MORE HANG!!! :)

I've just come across this last night so I'm sorry if this is something you've already tried. It's something that's really helped me out and I thought I should share.

I hope this helps someone. Post up if it does! :)

Piplodocus

Re: ***ABLETON AUDIO ENGINE CRASH SOLVED!!!***

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 pm

wattdogg wrote: I'M SORRY IF YOUR SUFFERING SIMILAR PROBLEMS ON A MAC BUT THIS THREAD ISN'T GOING TO HELP YOU.
Doesn't seem to happen on my mac. If ever Live does go down in extremes it goes out clean.

iCunt

wattdogg

Post by wattdogg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:10 pm

If I had the extra money I'd probably go for a mac. Seem to be so much less stress!

strode420

Post by strode420 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:43 pm

aaaaand this is why i don't miss Windows

But good on ya still for finding a solution to this issue :)
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 pm

When that used to happen (and it did with another DAW as well) I'd wait for 5-15 minutes and it would go away.
I wonder if anyone else had the patience to wait that long to see if that works.
ImageImage

wattdogg

Post by wattdogg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:36 am

Yeah it did with me too but the waiting used to disrupt my creative flow. Not any more :)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:39 am

Thanks for sharing! This is 90% of my crashes, if I dont pay attention to the ram load.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 am

you know, if you run a taskkill command, you are rightclicking and ending the task in process explorer. it's the same thing happening, only thing is happening via a shortcut.
so figuring out the pid and then changing the shortcut to reflect the new pid is just time consuming and stupid.

what's more, if you do crach properly, as in live hanging to your ram still, what you need to do is to reset all devices and drivers that live is using, or kill the process then awit some 5-10 minutes. taskkill doesn't solve this either.

i've done numerous of kills, but with windows own process management thing, with process explorer, with some other process management softwares, including numerous of commands with the command prompt, and even got confirmation, both in the command prompt and from my software that my thread, process, and my pid number have been shut down properly.

except that it hasn't, and it still running. not in suspended mode either. the only way to fix it is to reset all drivers that it uses, as those are the ones hooking it to ram still. windows is single client, and this is one of the retarded ways it shows it.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:01 am

wattdogg wrote:If I had the extra money I'd probably go for a mac. Seem to be so much less stress!
On what product you would feel less stress?
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1#p1360311

Or you picked wrong word? Less - More.

wattdogg

Post by wattdogg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:23 pm

friend_kami wrote:you know, if you run a taskkill command, you are rightclicking and ending the task in process explorer. it's the same thing happening, only thing is happening via a shortcut.
so figuring out the pid and then changing the shortcut to reflect the new pid is just time consuming and stupid.

what's more, if you do crach properly, as in live hanging to your ram still, what you need to do is to reset all devices and drivers that live is using, or kill the process then awit some 5-10 minutes. taskkill doesn't solve this either.

i've done numerous of kills, but with windows own process management thing, with process explorer, with some other process management softwares, including numerous of commands with the command prompt, and even got confirmation, both in the command prompt and from my software that my thread, process, and my pid number have been shut down properly.

except that it hasn't, and it still running. not in suspended mode either. the only way to fix it is to reset all drivers that it uses, as those are the ones hooking it to ram still. windows is single client, and this is one of the retarded ways it shows it.
Ok, I'm not exactly a computer whiz. The best I can muster is a few lines of VB code at a push. I'm sure there is a much more elegant way to resolve this hanging issue. If so, I'd be pleased to know it. I've been looking on and off for a while and this is the only thing that I've found that has worked for me.

I tried doing the exact same procedure but instead of clicking the short cut when the error box appears, killing the process tree in task manager/PROCEXP and it does not work for me. I understand what you are saying, it's logical but I'm getting differing results. The TASKKILL /PID command is working, ending the process tree via task manager / PROCEXP isn't. The short cut just saves having to type the command out fully.

I tried disconnecting all the external stuff, sound card, usb midi keyboard, etc. Disabling all non critical drivers with device manager and it still wouldn't release it.

When I right click on the ableton process in task manager and click "Go to service(s)" nothing was being identified in the services tab. If I open PROCEXP to get the PID. That number doesn't appear at all on task manager's services tab. The PID isn't the same every time so a static short cut won't cut it.

If my fix isn't the best way to tackle the specific issue please tell me what is. :oops:

Thanks

wattdogg

Post by wattdogg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
wattdogg wrote:If I had the extra money I'd probably go for a mac. Seem to be so much less stress!

Sorry, a mac would be less stressful for me to owe than a pc. Mac users don't seem to get as many problems with there systems as pc users.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:27 pm

pencilrocket wrote:

Never had the issues you mentioned. Never heard a Mac that was noisier than a PC. Never had loud fans while using Logic. Never had Logic or Live crash on me. Never had any issues.

wattdogg

Post by wattdogg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Komodovaran wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:

Never had the issues you mentioned. Never heard a Mac that was noisier than a PC. Never had loud fans while using Logic. Never had Logic or Live crash on me. Never had any issues.
??? We've got our wires crossed. I'm saying I would have a mac instead of a pc (especially for working with with audio).

See my post above.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Sorry. I was quoting the other guy who yelled about problems with Macs.

Don't do multiquotes kids :x

In short: Buy a Mac.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:35 am

wattdogg wrote: Mac users don't seem to get as many problems with there systems as pc users.
You heard so. I'll give you hint. They are cognitive dissonance.
Komodovaran wrote: Never had the issues you mentioned. Never heard a Mac that was noisier than a PC. Never had loud fans while using Logic. Never had Logic or Live crash on me. Never had any issues.
I didn't mentioned. People have experienced. The thins you heard from macfag was far more biased than that of apple forum, I think they are(were) also macfag though. The fan is more louder because sandy bridge emit large amount of heat than old CPU, small and cheap fan inside choked enclosure generated more louder high-frequency noise than that of expensive larger fan. Magic never occurs. The people who have sensitive ears can't tolorate laptop fan noise in front of us when using heavy project, which is annoyance and disturbance of the creation, especially after knowing the noise level of the desktops which can be put under the desk. It isn't personal "happy" or "unhappy" argument but a relative comparing.