How Long Did it Take?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
justchris86

Re: How Long Did it Take?

Post by justchris86 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:51 pm

i don't think it will ever stop! I love ableton but i know where you are coming from! I hated it at first. I got my download and installed it and thought. did i just waste all this money?

READ THE INSTRUCTION BOOK! thats all I can say. I read every single page of that bad boy and followed along with ableton open as i did.

Second thing is the university of youtube. go onto youtube and do some tutorials that interest you. soon you will enough tools in your bag of tricks that you will be able to get around with no problems

Enjoy man! its a really great program that can do a lot of great things.
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:31 am

I have no idea why people find Ableton so hard to use. Maybe it's because of the 2 different work environments and people feel they have to use everything?

I guess it depends on background. I struggled on reason when I started and Cubase took me a good week to get the hang of (but I really didn't like it). I tried the demo of ableton and had a track complete in the first day of use which made me want to get the launchpad and the lite version.... After about a year of test driving, upgraded to suite and just now waiting for 64 bit support so I can migrate my full score work into Live (doesn't like a fully blown kontact and Omnisphere setup).

SBRK

Post by SBRK » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:39 am

It took me some time but eventually, you will discover all of the great features Ableton has to offer and all its power !

hps909

Post by hps909 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:57 am

I still dont get on with arrangement view and it's been nearly 6 years.. (i use cubase for arrangement anyway) session view, which is pretty much all live is to me, on the other hand i picked up in a matter of hours
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 am

i jumped into live at the end of version 3 and i come from a pro tools background. personally i didnt find it all that hard. the biggest thing for me was understanding the interaction between session and arrangement.

i often have to go back to pro tools for work and to be honest i really dislike its workflow
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:50 am

Yes you should throw away your computer. And get small screen laptop. Use live on it. You will be thankful to single window. Otherwise, you feel the behavior wacky :lol: e.g. You will feel combersome when tweaking instruments and effect with forever scrolling job.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:11 pm

I recommend going through the video tutorials on the Ableton site first, and keeping the manual handy for a couple of weeks. There are also the tutorials (and manual) within the program itself, which are presented as Live Sets.

The university of YouTube is a good description. People have created a tremendous amount of free educational content for Live, the level of quality resources is unique.

Start with the Ableton tutorial vids though. Decide what you want to do first, and watch the video on that or just go in order. Stick with it, you'll be glad you did. It's a fun and inspiring program to learn.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Last edited by simmerdown on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gunkis84

Post by gunkis84 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 am

thanks everyone.. I've convinced myself that I'm going to buy pt9 (free upgrade to 10), and just use live for creation, and for live sets in session view (i get the concept of that so far anyway). I would be using live to trigger tracks for songs.. I am a contemporary christian worship leader, and like the idea of live to trigger tracks (vs, chorus, intro etc) yet have the flexibility to hang on a vs or whatever as long as id like, and also be able to create ambient tracks on the program.. but for creating demos, and mix downs of my multi track recordings pt deff has my vote (so far)..

I don't have months, let alone years to learn this program. I understand that i will never know everything with it, but the basic editing of tracks and stuff is just too much for me. :/

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:30 am

housemusiclover wrote:rtfm :mrgreen:
Yeah Man! RTFM! :lol:

No serious! I been working with Live since version 1 and i am still learning new tricks and possibilities almost weekly. I am controlling live with controllers only and it toke me a couple of years before i had all the knowlege and pratice together to program everything, and the actually feeling that i control the sitiuation and not live controlling me. It takes a lot of time to learn all what you need to know to produce some interresting and high quality sounds and i guess you will never know everything but thats the way producing is i guess, and yes thats why i love it so much! I now feel that my sound is what i wanted it to be when i started years ago its now 7 years ago. Now my tracks sounds perfectly mastered and musically very interresting with a lot of variations in there, just to keep things "Spicy"! But you need the skillz! And the best way to learn it is to read tons of articels, books, internet and of course the Live Manual. I wish you all the best!

And a lot of time and patience!

Kind Regards 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

gitsdits

Post by gitsdits » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm

if you use clips an samples 5 minutes
if you ave poor taste in dance music a day on you tube an a night making dribble.
film music a few days with any synth an a basic drum patterns.
complex driven music.
hang your coat on a peg an except you in for years of brain pain an frustration .
anyone can make flat dull music.
you want it to have shape an color.
you got to put in the time an research an learn
like any good song
its journey
not all journeys go to plan
and people can die on long journeys
look at how many people have DAWS
look at how many make music that sells

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Wrapping my head around Session view and Arrange view and how they relate to each other was the confusing part for me at first. That was Live 6, almost 10 years ago. Man, time flies.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 pm

1 week on live 5. A lot of practicing and figuring stuff out after reading the manual. I spent a lot of time going over the manual and tutorials to get where I want. The main thing is to practice and help others in your journey. You learn other things along the way. :mrgreen:

Back in live 5 days I had an mpc 1000 with dying pads and I was figuring out how to chop my drums in adobe audition and throw my sounds into impulse. After that I sold the 1000. Once I got it I kept practicing. here wasn't even swing back then but I gave my drums their own groove. live 5 has gone a long way.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 pm

N n n necrobump!

How does this even happen. Is there a person searching the web for "how long ableton" so they have a place to post their abstract poem?

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:35 am

i came to live from nothing (other than archaic tape recorders). if you come in fresh like that you don't have to unlearn things or get caught up in the "what's missing" black hole. made it much easier i suspect.
good luck.