Decent Audio Interface to be used only for Studio Monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bandic00t

Decent Audio Interface to be used only for Studio Monitors

Post by bandic00t » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:39 am

Hi,

I just purchased a pair of KRK RP6 studio monitors online (should be here before christmas) and was thinking about purchasing an audio interface as well.
I've been using my on board sound card (Realtek HD audio) while producing in Ableton and didn't really notice any latency or any other issues.
But I've been reading more and more online about how this sound card would not be ideal to use with my new monitors.
And so, I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good audio interface? Max budget : $100-150 :|
I'm only going to be using it to plug my monitors via XLR cables, so I don't really need all the extra inputs.
I'm currently running Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

doghouse

Re: Decent Audio Interface to be used only for Studio Monitors

Post by doghouse » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:01 am

I'd argue that if you don't need the inputs then don't even bother with an audio interface. It's just one more box taking up space with more drivers and software to deal with.

Inexpensive interfaces won't have XLR outputs anyway.

Riley333

Post by Riley333 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:40 am

Hi bandic00t,
A good audio interface will make a huge positive difference in sound quaulity, the KRKs are great and when you add a good audio interface, it's a whole new world of goodness that you can't imagine until you hear it.

Do you have USB and Firewire Ports? Or PCIe slots?

Let me know and I can steer you to something in your price range.

Thanks! Riley
HP DV7 4295us, i7 2630QM, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB Internal, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate,RME Firface UC,Ableton Live, Sonar X1, Maschine.

bandic00t

Post by bandic00t » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:16 am

@doghouse : Yeah, that's what a friend told me. But I've also been told that using an XLR to USB cable to connect my monitors to my PC may result in a decrease in quality, which is why I was looking into buying an interface.

@ Riley333 : I have both USB and Firewire Ports. I have no idea about PCIe slots, I'm guessing I have to open up my PC to check?

Riley333

Post by Riley333 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:27 am

bandic00t wrote:@doghouse : Yeah, that's what a friend told me. But I've also been told that using an XLR to USB cable to connect my monitors to my PC may result in a decrease in quality, which is why I was looking into buying an interface.

@ Riley333 : I have both USB and Firewire Ports. I have no idea about PCIe slots, I'm guessing I have to open up my PC to check?
OK, I suggest you use USB, here's a focusrite saffire USB for 150. I use one onsite every Sunday for recording bands. It's rock solid and sounds splendid. realtek internal cards, even with asio4all drivers can't come close. enjoy!
Edit: I forgot to tell you that you will want TRS to XLR cords to go from the TRS outs of the Saffire to your KRKs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAFFIRE-6-USB-C ... 27c170056d
HP DV7 4295us, i7 2630QM, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB Internal, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate,RME Firface UC,Ableton Live, Sonar X1, Maschine.

bandic00t

Post by bandic00t » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:41 am

Looks great. I went on their website and actually found something cheaper, but seems enough for what I'm going to use it for. What do you think of the Scarlett 2i2? I found it for under a 100$ over here : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Focusrite-Scarle ... 502wt_1396
It has a pair of quarter-inch TRS jack outputs in the back to power my monitors.
Thanks for the heads up by the way, I was just about to order a pair of XLR cables :D

matthews

Post by matthews » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 am

I can vouch for the 2i2. Great little interface, and you can't beat the price.

bandic00t

Post by bandic00t » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:24 am

Yeah, I think that's what I'll be going for.
One last question. Will I be able to set an audio interface as my default playback device both in Windows and in Ableton? Or will I have the choice to put my KRK RP6 as an audio output device?
Sorry, I'm quite a noob on this subject.

Riley333

Post by Riley333 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:19 am

bandic00t wrote:Yeah, I think that's what I'll be going for.
One last question. Will I be able to set an audio interface as my default playback device both in Windows and in Ableton? Or will I have the choice to put my KRK RP6 as an audio output device?
Sorry, I'm quite a noob on this subject.
Yes, you can use it as your default playback device in Windows and in Ableton. When I have mine setup that way, I use the "no sounds" soundscape of windows so that an alert doesn't ruin a recording, or my ears.

Riley

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:13 pm

You don't need XLR cables for your RP6 monitors. Plain overkill IMO.

I bought an inexpensive M-Audio Fast Track interface for my Adam A7X speakers, for which I'm using RCA connectors. Works fine, and there's absolutely no distortion or human perceptible decrease in sound, no matter how silent or loud I play my speakers.