Why do people hate Dubstep?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kanuck

Why do people hate Dubstep?

Post by kanuck » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:39 pm

So I come from a non-electronic music background. I always thought I had an ok taste in music (as in liked more artistic styles of music) but as I've slowly let electronic influences leak into my productions I've recently found a lot of people ripping on dubstep. Why is this? I have to say my favourite genre in EDM has to be Dubstep. Has has great dynamics as in goes from quiet to loud, usually changes drastically in its arrangement and I've always found it interesting and emotional to listen to. I have to admit there are a few tracks where I want to kill myself because the bass is ridiculously annoying but those are just a few bad apples. So I'd like to hear from those who know something about EDM. Why is Dubstep hated on?

simmerdown

Re: Why do people hate Dubstep?

Post by simmerdown » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:00 pm

in some the wobbles elicit brainwaves that make them angry :x , and they misdirect this anger toward the source, as opposed to their parents, spouse, or cats

some hate anything that becomes popular

some only know brostep (only derivative that has made it to the US), which, yes, is worthy of (dislike)

imo dubstep stands in for the rebellion that in previous genration was filled by punk

taste, all taste...

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:03 pm

simmerdown wrote:in some the wobbles elicit brainwaves that make them angry :x , and they misdirect this anger toward the source, as opposed to their parents, spouse, or cats

some hate anything that becomes popular

some only know brostep (only derivative that has made it to the US), which, yes, is worthy of (dislike)

imo dubstep stands in for the rebellion that in previous genration was filled by punk

taste, all taste...
Good points.

People hate on every thing. Dubstep is the new thing so people are going to hate it. Its new and unlike most EDM, so there for its bad. its closed minded idiots really, just because you don't like it doesn't mean its bad.

so no matter what you are into some one is going to hate it. just ignore them and move on.
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:04 pm

It's the popular genre of the day, so there's a lot of bad knock offs and too much copying going on. Like any popular genre, it tends to get a little samey after awhile. It was the same thing with Trance back in the day, I used to shit from all my friends for being into it too.

If you're into a genre that's popular and getting picked on, you just gotta roll with the punches and ignore the haters.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:05 pm

ps I love dub step. here is my sound cloud: http://snd.sc/tD66Op
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:09 pm

(not new, newly discovered, my fav stuff is from 02-04)

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:15 pm

The situation, IMHO, comes from what are effectively EDM hipsters.

Dubstep isn't new enough to be interesting to a lot of people who follow electronic music really closely (it got going in what, 2002?), but it's recently hit a much more mainstream crowd, and for them it's new and edgy. Hipsters cannot STAND this. They liked it before it was popular and are over it now.

I have a bit of the same reaction, I got into it much later, but I still tend to prefer older Benga/Skream/DDD dubstep tracks (the ones I know of anyway) to the newer "brostep" music with all the moving midrangey basslines, but I like those too. It's just different, and I kind of wish it had gotten a different name. It makes discussion much harder. For some people, dubstep means grimy wobblebass, and that's it.

I'm just happy that half-time is getting some attention :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:35 pm

For me the wobble used to be an interesting part of an elaborate song. Then it was decided that, that should be an entire genre. That’s when I started hating it, when it became just the wobble over a minimum effort beat.

noland

Post by noland » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Dubstep became so popular and a lot of people reduce dubstep to wobbles so there is a lot of shitty music out there claiming to be drippin hot because it has the wobbles... but its still shitty music by people who just want to jump on a popular train. Dubstep will get over it when theres a new train coming
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:02 pm

my problem personally is that it became over-fashioned-exposed recently till the point every body puts dub step anywhere.
in commercials, or like you get 16bars of dubstep break in shitty pop/commercial tunes that have nothing to do with dubstep otherwise. it infested drum an bass, even heard in techno, transe/psy intros ect some dubstep wtf everybody have with dubstep
OVERDOSE of DUBSTEP

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Warrior Bob wrote:The situation, IMHO, comes from what are effectively EDM hipsters.
It's not just about being a hipster. It's just large swathes of the music called 'Dubstep' at the moment is simply very different, and not to the tastes of a number of people, myself included, to the Dubstep we first fell in love with.

I loved the mood and skunked out atmosphere of older Dubstep. Less of the maximized filthy wobble, more of the chest crushing sub bass. Stuff from Flux Pavilion and Doctop P etc, was cool and different for a while, now everyones doing it and it's got boring quickly in my opinion. But it's the sound thats captured the ears of the public, so fair enough, sells a lot of records and will only get bigger for a while.

Still some people making great Dubstep, and loads of other Bass music to enjoy.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:27 pm

So it sounds like people with a more historical reference are saying quality dubstep got hijacked by wobble-centric dubstep. But if 90% of what is being bought and listened to under dubstep is wobble based then doesn’t that define the genre?

I’d go as far as saying if you played a slow tempo song to the average listener that doesn’t include the wobble they’d say it isn’t dubstep.

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:31 pm

A lot of what you guys said I agree with.

Here's my take on it and I have been involved professionally with EDM for 13 years.

Dubstep on its own as a style is fine but many of us, myself included, are tired of hearing about it every five freaking seconds. And I am tired of people, especially younger folks, thinking it's the only kind of EDM in the world. And I am tired of nearly every single YouTube instrument review and tutorial talking about how it can also "make dubstep wobbles". It's really overexposed. And a lot of people don't like being associated with what is quickly turning into music for 13 year old teenage girls.

There is quite a bit of other EDM out there but you wouldn't know it anymore. I was also around when trance was big - it was never like this.

And dubstep will die the same awful, painful death disco did because that's how big, hipsterish and trendy it has become. The haters will grow more numerous over the next year or so - that's my prediction. This stuff is the screamo-emo of the '10s. Some of my DJ friends like to argue with me and get offended by even well-meaning criticism of dubstep...I'm keeping a list so I can remind them of their blind devotion when this stuff craters.

On the positive side, it has been interesting to see peeps push the boundaries of synthesis a little. Other than that, meh.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:34 pm

I heard it from old people in my day, but didn't think I'd be saying this before I was like 50.

You kids and your weird music. Standing there, like zombies caught in a windtunnel.
Wobbles? In my day they used to call it "put'n ye olde LFO on ye filter".

Might have gone a bit too far back in time there with ye olde reference...
But that is coming from a dude who still enjoys a bit of good old techno. Not exactly a classic genre just yet, but getting there. It never really died where I live. It just got (literally?) minimized for a while.

There's another form of "techno" out there that abuses the LFO on the other side of the spectrum. With the high pitch sliced swoop swoop loops...

So if old people still enjoy what they enjoyed while they were young, does that mean I'm doomed to go clubbing in my sixties? And which of my favorite DJ's will make it to their eighties? :lol:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Whatever happened to "Tech-House" anyway?
10 years ago, you went to a party and there were 2 rooms. Techno and Tech-House.

Fudge it, can we just bring back Disco? I was born after that period, so I'm definitely up for it.
No go on the pants though.