What db should I rehearse midi in during the sound design?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dkamm101

What db should I rehearse midi in during the sound design?

Post by dkamm101 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:24 am

Hey Guys,

I was going to have all my channels no louder than -6db for my headroom and was wondering if I should be rehearsing my synths via midi at this level as well. thoughts?

thanks

Derek

3dot...

Re: What db should I rehearse midi in during the sound design?

Post by 3dot... » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:59 pm

midi has no sound .. :cry:

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:13 pm

....if i am not wrong!? 100 velocity = +12db i read that in a posting for a couple of weeks here on the board.....maybe it aint correct but i hope it is :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:16 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:....if i am not wrong!? 100 velocity = +12db i read that in a posting for a couple of weeks here on the board.....maybe it aint correct but i hope it is :D
sorry, no midi by itself would not make any sound. Obviously if it was controlling a patch it may have been +12db at 100 velocity but that's only 1 setting.. there are so many possibilities. I'd say just hit the keyboard controller/midi controller while sound desigining. If the volume's too low boost it up with the volume knob on the synth/sampler/whatever. If it's clipping lower it.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:35 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:....if i am not wrong!? 100 velocity = +12db i read that in a posting for a couple of weeks here on the board.....maybe it aint correct but i hope it is :D
There's no necessary correlation. Just tweak the oscillator level on any synth and you can see that the same MIDI data can produce wildly different sound levels.

To answer your original question, I'd say use the track faders or instrument volume knobs to set your levels. Just pick a standard and stick to it (sounds like you use -6dB). I like to default to having all the track faders down to like -24 or more, and then I turn up the output on my speakers (or my system volume if I'm using headphones). A little fiddlier to start with since you have to move faders on every new track, but you get tons of headroom.