You can help us improve Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bernd

You can help us improve Live

Post by Bernd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 pm

With the most recent Live 8 beta (8.2.8b2), we released a new technology which will help us make Live even more stable and will help us better understand how you work with the software. This information will allow us to invest time in both the most serious problems and the most helpful feature updates. But we need your help.

Here is how it works: Live can now automatically collect usage data while you use it. We made sure that this will never have a negative impact on the performance of your system. At program launch, Live will check if there is an established internet connection and, if so, will transfer the collected data to ableton.com. This doesn't slow down start-up time and uploads only a small amount of data. Of course, the data is stored anonymously and we'll never use it for anything besides improving Live. Participation is of course voluntary and you can stop at any time. Once activated, you don't have to do anything and the system will never disturb you.

To activate it, first download and install the newest Live 8 beta

http://www.ableton.com/downloads/live-8-beta

and add the following line to your Options.txt file:

-ImprovementProgramParticipation=On

(For more information about using the Options.txt file, see http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/options_text)

Your participation will help both you and all other users. By participating, you ensure that the problems you experience and your personal workflow will be considered when defining the future work of our developers.

Thanks for helping us make Live better and better!

Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

chapelier fou

Re: You can help us improve Live

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:53 pm

My music computer is never connected to internet.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:22 pm

From http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/options_text :
How to use Options.txt

First you have to create a text file called "Options.txt" in the same folder where Live's Preferences.cfg file is located. Here's where to find the preferences folder (Live 6.0.9 or higher):

Mac OS X: /User/Library/Preferences/Ableton
Windows (Live 4 and later versions): C:/Documents and Settings/yourusername/Application Data/Ableton/Live/Preferences
Windows Vista/Win7: c:/users/username/appdata/roaming/ableton/live/preferences/
Note that on some Windows systems the application data folder is hidden by default. Here is what you have to do to make it visible:

Windows XP/2000

Launch Explorer.
Select Tools/Folder Options/View.
Check "Show hidden files and folders."
ImageImage

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Making this specifically opt-in as you have is a great idea and I applaud it. I like the idea of it and I'll set it up as soon as I get a chance to download the beta.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:20 pm

@chapelier fou

Yes, unfortunately we will not have the chance to include data from computers which get never connected to the internet. But from our authorization system we know that this is the case for less then 2% of all computers which run Live so we hope this will not bias the data to much.

Regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:27 pm

@funken

The Options.txt file needs to go in the version specific folder (currently 8.2.8b2). Like the preferences file the Options.txt file will be copied automatically from one version to the next one when you launch the newer version for the first time.

Regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:42 pm

So how do we know if it's working?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:08 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:So how do we know if it's working?
:lol:

funny, they make it completely invisible to us yet people want it visible. no pleasing everyone.

it's a pretty simple mod, I'm sure you can get it right.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 pm

I dont really care to see it, but a few days ago I was making Live crash like crazy. I was curious to know what that meant for this reporting to live thing.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:20 pm

In other words was Live crashing and making a bug report for Ableton, OR was Live crashing because I was doing things you just cant do.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I dont really care to see it, but a few days ago I was making Live crash like crazy. I was curious to know what that meant for this reporting to live thing.
to give specific feedback the old bug reporting system is still in place. it seems your crashes would get reported by this invisible system.

edit -
In other words was Live crashing and making a bug report for Ableton, OR was Live crashing because I was doing things you just cant do.
:? I don't get the logic. I imagine it would go into a bug report AND you're doing things that made Live crash.

good luck!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Sorry poor choice of words. There are routings that crash Live, to me the routings seem logical. When I send in my reports, am I reporting something valuable (experiencing a bug?), OR do they see this stuff at Ableton and say to themselves, "Well you just cant route things like that DUH."

For me the user I would never know one way or the other. I'm just expressing my curiosity, not really complaining, or making a request. Upon a lot of crashes I was just wondering what it's like on Ableton's end after setting up the report option.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:am I reporting something valuable (experiencing a bug?)
I'd say absolutely, more info is better than too little.
say to themselves, "Well you just cant route things like that DUH."
screw that! one thing I love about Live is the ability to route things to different parts of Live. I've abused it pretty well in the past, midi feedback, m4L LFOs, dummy clips, sends sending to themselves.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:09 pm

APC40+Hanz Script, note modes sending on different channels.
Note Mode on Channel 10 is going to a Midi Track set to MIDI IN 'APC40" sub menu Channel 10, with the tracks input mode set to IN (orange). The MIDI Out is going directly to my drumRack on a different Track by setting the sub menu directly to the drumRack. On my drumRacks track, MIDI In is set to 'APC40' Channel 10, but the tracks mode is set to AUTO.

This all works fine, and I can play drumPad style from my APC40 while a sequenced clip is playing on the drumRack, and if I want to record hits, I arm the drumRacks track and record along. This method bypasses the need to switch the tracks input mode.

As soon as I try selecting the APC40 on Channel 11 for a completely seperated track. CRASH. Sometimes it will crash by selecting sidechain routings from the drum rack when the APC40 is routed in such a manner.

Anyways, this is probably not the thread for discussing it.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Yeah I think we should get purchase points for every bug report that gets automatically sent and validated. That way I could get a hoodie for 5 bucks cheaper or something.

Or just a new preset for each one, in a "Bug Report Received" folder in the Library.
ImageImage