Using a Headphone Splitter for audio won't work for live DJ?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ihavempd32

Using a Headphone Splitter for audio won't work for live DJ?

Post by ihavempd32 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:52 pm

I have nice Dell Computer Speakers, with a bass.
And i have these head phones.
And with this audio headphone splitter I was wondering if i could get the Cue and listen to the track on my headphone and get it right for the cue so i could play it on the speaker.
But on my Audio Input the 3/4 isn't showing up.

Will it not work with a headphone splitter? :cry:

Mage2k

Re: Using a Headphone Splitter for audio won't work for live DJ?

Post by Mage2k » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Laptops typically only have a single stereo (1/2) audio channel built-in. The only way you'll be able to have separate cue & master audio outputs with that is to have both be mono, 1 & 2, and use a splitter that splits the left & right channels into separate mono channels.

What you really need is an audio interface with at least 2 stereo outputs. Then you can assign 1/2 to the main outputs and 3/4 to the cue.

ttilberg

Re: Using a Headphone Splitter for audio won't work for live DJ?

Post by ttilberg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm

I definitely recommend getting an external soundcard with at least 2 outs. I used to mess around with the whole splitting the L/R channels, and it definitely works, but it was completely refreshing when I acquired the more appropriate solution.

The one that I use is the Native Instruments Audio 2. It has two stereo outputs with their own individual volume controls. It runs about $100, and comes with Traktor LE, which helps offset the cost if you are interested in exploring that too. From there, you are only another $70 or so away from having a full version of Traktor Pro. I thought it was a pretty awesome deal. I've been using it in clubs and whatnot for a few years now, has yet to let me down, and is great for just messing around at home too.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5