Why do people hate Dubstep?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nylarch

Re: Why do people hate Dubstep?

Post by nylarch » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:34 pm

I still consider dubstep to be Loefah and Mala, not Skrillex, and I still like it. Brostep can go away now please.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:29 pm

superwobbler = 3 simpler wobblers, 3 sampler wobblers, 3 instances of operator...all dropped onto drumrack slots...midi map the shyte out of it...make various midi clips, rec to an audio track as you play...

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:26 pm

could someone post some examples of dubstep and brostep so i can see the difference. thanks

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:19 pm

I thought it's called dumbstep...., :oops: .... :? !

Why step anyways? Is it because you can't dance to it ???
Have to do some kind of steps each time it beats ???
Isn't it Electro-House without rhythm ?
...and because you're not supposed to move with the music
the music itself always moves and wobbles ???

hihih...just kidding... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Music is music and whatever genre it is it has it's space.
I don't like music fascist's hating other music genres.
I have some I don't like to listen, but that's where I stop.

But hey, I like jokes a lot too... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Making fun of things is funny and nothing more...
Last edited by simpli.cissimus on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:21 pm

bartend7 wrote:could someone post some examples of dubstep and brostep so i can see the difference. thanks
...get a bro and listen to dubstep...! :wink:

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:22 pm

simmerdown wrote:superwobbler = 3 simpler wobblers, 3 sampler wobblers, 3 instances of operator...all dropped onto drumrack slots...midi map the shyte out of it...make various midi clips, rec to an audio track as you play...
Sounds like a recipe for a instant music cookie... :P

lethal_pizzle

Post by lethal_pizzle » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:08 am

simpli.cissimus wrote: I don't like music faschist's hating other music genres.
You don't like people having an opinion on music? That's pretty fascist.

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:41 am

bartend7 wrote:could someone post some examples of dubstep and brostep so i can see the difference. thanks
OK here goes...(just my opinion here)

Dubstep: http://youtu.be/V_LuQvTiVfg and probably even more so: http://youtu.be/IlEkvbRmfrA

Brostep: http://youtu.be/JEcj2xi9Ctc and http://youtu.be/gYGioWinQQE

I really like this Ott fella BTW. He's talented. :D

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:11 am

burial (friggn superb) pretty much defines post-dubstep...to tired to type why

ott, idk..like soapstep... as in dont bend over in the shower :D

on brostep, ill take your word

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:04 am

Not sure about that OTT track. Remember the first time I heard the first Burial album, was a revelation, someone taking those swung garagey beats that I'd grown up with and put it against some of the most delicate electonics. Amazing.

Anyway, I'd say this is more the 'Dubstep' that I love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W2iL8K36z4

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:15 am

back to roots, jamaican and caraibic rythms, that is where you want to go to learn. Dub is an "ancient" music.
The step is the invention of the early 2000´s. I dunno, if I was 15 today I would be so happy to study and get information. Now maybe they throw it so cheap at your face that one doesn´t even take the time to google correctly.
And btw, what the hack these wobbles, you do not need all those things, just an LFO in 3ds ( or 8dotted, anyone?) on the filter on a 2 OSC synth with a sine+saw. It is really stupid to synthesize. You can always squish it with a compressor (and the Live compressors work really well). If you need Massive from Native to work it out it is because you are a lazy ass.
For the rest go and study electric bass, and search for Bootsie Collins/ George Clinton / Jaco Pastorius, or the Funkedelica period, or Bill Laswell, or the zillions of amazing artists.
Then, maybe, I will accept a 5 page forum argument on Dubstep.

Again, as someone posted, what was the thing about Trance?, tech house, house, uk garage, 70´s funk, techno, dub step, brostep (really??? seriously???) go home, do music, like it or hate it, the rest is for people who cannot do music in a world where even a computer can do music.

Have a happy new year, full of music, not cheeseburgers... :D
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:38 am

lethal_pizzle wrote:
simpli.cissimus wrote: I don't like music faschist's hating other music genres.
You don't like people having an opinion on music? That's pretty fascist.
:lol: :lol: :lol: would have many answers to that but I don't...

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:55 pm

from wiki----

Brostep

Brostep is a post-dubstep trend that has recently received increasing exposure, with the American producer Skrillex becoming something of a figurehead for the scene. In September 2011 a Spin Magazine EDM special referred to brostep as a "lurching and aggressive" variant of dubstep that has proved commercially successful in the United States.[107] Unlike traditional dubstep production styles, that emphasize sub-bass content, brostep accentuates the middle register and features "robotic fluctuations and metal-esque aggression." According to Simon Reynolds, as dubstep gained larger audiences and moved from smaller club based venues to larger outdoor events, sub-sonic content was gradually replaced by distorted bass riffs that function roughly in the same register as the electric guitar in heavy metal.[108] Another producer associated with this "aggressive aesthetic" is Excision, a Mau5trap label mate of Skrillex's whose debut album was released late 2011. [109]Dubstep "purists" have leveled criticisms at brostep because of its preoccupation with "hard" and aggressive sounding timbres. In the UK brostep has been jokingly called "bruvstep" and "mid-range cack." The English producer Rusko is credited with being the progenitor of brostep and during an interview on BBC's 1Xtra radio show he commented that: "Brostep is sort of my fault, but now I've started to hate it in a way...It's like someone screaming in your face for an hour...you don't want that."[110] 12th planet is considered the godfather of brostep and bassnectar a pioneer of the sound.[111] Skream has a different view of Brostep than Rusko's and said of skrillex "I think it hurts a lot of people over here because it's a UK sound, but it's been someone with influences outside the original sound that has made it a lot bigger. The bad side of that is that a lot of people will just say 'dubstep equals Skrillex'.But in all honesty it genuinely doesn't bother me. I like the music he makes."[112]

Post-dubstep

More recently the term post-dubstep has been used to describe music that combines stylistic features of dubstep with other musical influences.The breadth of styles that have come to be associated with the term post-dub-step preclude it from being a specific musical genre. Pitchfork writer Martin Clark has suggested that "well-meaning attempts to loosely define the ground we're covering here are somewhat futile and almost certainly flawed. This is not one genre. However, given the links, interaction, and free-flowing ideas...you can't dismiss all these acts as unrelated..."[100] Such music often references earlier dubstep productions as well as UK Garage, 2-step, and other forms of underground electronic dance music.[101][102][103] Artists producing music that has been described as post-dubstep have also incorporated elements of ambient music and early 2000s R&B. The latter in particular is heavily sampled by two artists described as post-dubstep, Mount Kimbie, Fantastic Mr Fox and James Blake.[104][105] The tempo of music typically characterised as post-dubstep is approximately 130 beats per minute.[100]
The production duo Mount Kimbie is often associated with the origination of the term post-dubstep.[106] The commercial popularity of The xx, also marked a breakaway and a member of the band, Jamie xx has released remixes which are considered post-dubstep, including a Gil Scott-Heron remix album.[101] Other names frequently associated with post-dubstep are Ikonika, 2562, Cityscape, Deadboy, Martyn, Floating Points, Pangaea, Ramadanman, Sepalcure, FaltyDL, Pariah, Burial, The Weeknd, SBTRKT, Lorena B, Scuba, Egyptrixx, Shackleton, Starkey, Matthew Thompson, Ital Tek, Ifan Dafydd, Guido, Four Tet and the U.K. labels Hotflush and Hyperdub.[100]

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:41 pm

Dubstep has become a noise competition, its all about who can make the loudest sound or craziest wobble.

For people who actually like music...this is kind of a turn off.

dday

Post by dday » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

because it sucks. it sucks bad. mindless music that any ass hat can make. also, can someone make something that doesn't use the same frequencies?? ffs