Can someone define trip hop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:55 am

Ikes Rap ,

just like the big Nightmares track (whatever it is called) on Smokers Delight is based on a Quincy Jones number - Summer in the City. When I say based .. I mean 'is'. Always worth checking out the originals.

Saw Nightmares play about 5 years ago and they were pretty damn good though, can't fault them for covering a track - it's just not widely known it isn't theirs.

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:08 am

Cheers Angstrom,
There you are, Isaac Hayes, Quincy Jones, are we missing anybody else out?
:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

hat

Post by hat » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:20 am

Check out James Lavelle's 'Headz' compilations.

While the term trip-hop stems from Portishead, Tricky and Massive Attack blew up Bristol, those comps would show you there were many lesser known artists doing interesting things.

- Peshay
- Grantby
- Luminis
- Attica Blues
- Howie B
- DJ Food
- The Black Dog

and of course, DJ Shadow, UNKLE, etc...

Hooverphonic's first couple of albums had the trip-hop tag although I feel they're stuff was more produced sounding, not as gritty and soulful. Yes, Isaac Hayes has been sampled ad nauseam on many of Tricky's tracks and Massive's Mezzanine, the latter being my personal favorite.

That said, rumor is that Portishead are releasing a new album this year, it's been in the works for quite some time now, hope it does happen, and I hope to see a trip-hop revival of some sort, it's a genre that flew by us in a matter of a few years and turned into chill-out/lounge crap.[/list]

Lowride

Post by Lowride » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:10 am

Haha, drush - yeah, I've got the said same compilation myself!!!
And it is interesting to see where Autechre have gone from there - and yes that's where I got my handle! When I got the headz compilation, I always thought Lowride was such a cool name for a track, hence my pilfering...

Lowride

Lowride

Post by Lowride » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:15 am

Just a small addition - RE: Tricky...

Yeah, Maxinquaye is class, but the later stuff is pretty good too - though definitely not as accessible. Nearly God is downright bizarre in bits, but sometimes you need to give an album a bit more time, so you can adjust to it. That's what I find with Tricky anyway...

Lowride