ULTIMATE Clip Pack/Tune Organization for DJs (now w VIDEO)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Akasha

Re: ULTIMATE Clip Pack/Tune Organization for DJs

Post by Akasha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:40 am

ULTIMATE!

LakesideWiseman

Post by LakesideWiseman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:04 am

Awesome info in this post. Thanks Mr. Gates.

Akasha

Post by Akasha » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:38 am

I have been tagging so many tracks!!!! AAAAHH.

I'm a little sad though because, I'm thinking that there is no way to exclude certain tags within a search.

I REALLY want to be able to for example..... search "Deep Wobble" ... But say to exclude the tag "dungeon"

I'm not seeing a way to do this, the work around of having multiple smart folders can get it done, but I really want to be able to get specific at any point in time.

Any thoughts on exclusions? My google search says it can't. :evil:

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:19 pm

posted a video demo here:

http://vimeo.com/29932560

(no idea about exclusions)
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

regretfullySaid

Re: ULTIMATE Clip Pack/Tune Organization for DJs (now w VIDEO)

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 pm

I've been in a Live admin/catalogue-ing mode lately building my custom library so this is totally relevant to my interests right now.

For Windows the best search program I've come across is called Everything. It has a minimal footprint with cpu resources. It only re-indexes the on first load until you restart your comp and the index is in the ??k range and only takes minutes if you have an external drive on.
If you don't need anything on your external drive indexed then turn it off when you first load Everything. Otherwise, it's fast as fuck, light on cpu and supports boolean stuff.

(Google desktop index takes up gb's of space, it's disgusting.)

Btw Ill, I came across an Acid Crunk compilation recently that you had a couple tracks on; killer stuff.
ImageImage

Nominal level

Post by Nominal level » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:10 am

Hey I've being warping in a similar way to this but setting follow actions between cues so the song plays through all the clips on it's own.

was wondering your thoughts on this and if there any benefits to doing it your way? as seems abit less time consuming.

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm

very good, though you got one thing wrong i believe.

when you add the 2nd warpmarker on the drift then get rid of it, then add the third and align it, you loose the alignment on the 2nd warp marker because you're re-stretching it. so it's best to keep it.

this is definitely how i manage my songs and addition to that i loop the very end of every part so that

- say i can go into the build up whenever i want.
- to avoid silence when i'm busy mangling effects and forget to launch the next clip.

BTW i'd like to play around with that liveset template of yours.

best,
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

PotentSync

Post by PotentSync » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:57 am

i have been DYING to find this out. Thank you ill gates and thanks for whoever posted the video. ILL GATES you are the man keep making music and keep making videos. Your connections to life and producing are very inspiring and so true. Peace and Love

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 am

OK I am trying to implement this method because frankly its FUCKING AWESOME!! One question. .asd files. IS there a way to not have to look at these god forsaken things?

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:07 am

Theo Void wrote:OK I am trying to implement this method because frankly its FUCKING AWESOME!! One question. .asd files. IS there a way to not have to look at these god forsaken things?
Nevermind. I totally missed the point about the .als files as clip packs and was confused about how it ties into the .asd files but the .asd files don't even matter in this method. Correct? Thats f'n great!!! I'm all over this!

Good look Ill

beattorrent

Post by beattorrent » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19 am

im currently creating this clip packs method (thanks to this method) but on a windows platform, i just want to ask if im going to have a problem when i transfer all these files (clip packs + music files) on a mac computer because ill be using a mac soon enough and i dont want to locate the file one by one, so should i continue creating clip packs here on windows or just wait for my mac so i wont have the trouble locating each clip pack one by one?

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 pm

This is an amazing idea but after creating about 100 clip packs and using the tracks at a live gig I have since switched to Traktor for "DJ" type performances. Its a great idea and all but going thru hundreds of tracks and making these is a HUGE pain in the ass and then theres the fact that you still have to drag them in and out of your set while playing live. IDK, when I played it out live it sucked!!!! It was NOT fun at all. MAybe if I could map some how map the browser and be able to load tracks into the set via MIDI it would be more fun.
I still produce and do just about EVERYTHING in Live but when I get booked to DJ I use Traktor and my APC40 now. SO MUCH more FUN!!!

Drumattic

Post by Drumattic » Sat May 11, 2013 8:44 am

Just got to this post and watched your vid, thanks Il, wondering if there is a way to add to the clip packs with out it creating and new pack, I, might have missed what you already posted, thanks
Bobby
music is the universal language of the world!
www.drumattic.net