Automap 4 with Novation Impulse and Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dversetto

Automap 4 with Novation Impulse and Ableton Live

Post by dversetto » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm

So far I've tried several times installing AutoMap with the Novation Impulse on two different machines. (the details follow) Both attempts yielded the same results. The setup doesn't seem to link AutoMap to Ableton. (the red LED next to the Live icon in the software never changes to green)

Configuration details:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Computer: HP ProBook 4720s
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Audio Interface: None (asio4all)
Memory: 8GB
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Computer: HP HPE-367c
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Audio Interface: M-Audio Fast-Track Pro - USB
Memory: 8GB

Ableton Live Suite V 8.2.6 w/ MAX 4 Live
NI Komplete 8 Ultimate
NI Maschine 1.7 (not running at time of install) (Maschine controller not connected)
MIDI In/Out as specified in Automap installation instructions

I have tried various different ways of running software setup. (With and without the audio interface plugged in, with and without virus and firewall running, plugging in the keyboard at various stages of the setup) All yield the same result.

I have noticed a few things, so far:

When I open Ableton Live several things are recognized and usable on Impulse.
1) The track gain, mute, and solo controls work with the rotary encoders, faders, and press-buttons.
2) The macro knobs of an in-focus instrument rack in Ableton are automatically mapped to the rotary encoders.
3) The drum pads on the Impulse keyboard trigger certain instrument notes (keyboard) in Ableton.
4) Upon inserting a VST into a track in Ableton, the Impulse LCD display will show the name of the plugin.
5) Various controls of an in-focus VST plugin will respond to certain rotary encoders, faders, and press-buttons.

AutoMap is obviously installing partially. The problem is that the AutoMap interface doesn't see Ableton as being linked to AutoMap. I cannot use any of the mapping functions, etc.

Any thoughts?

Dominick

matthews

Re: Automap 4 with Novation Impulse and Ableton Live

Post by matthews » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:42 pm

What do you mean it doesn't link Ableton and Automap? They're not really 'linkable' by design, automap operates as its own parameter control interface when in use, and when its not in use, ableton defaults to the remote script.

If its like the SLMK2 and Automap v3, then Live should be mapped to the impulse automatically, which it appears to be doing as you have access to the faders, knobs and pads correctly. You then have to switch to automap mode on the device to have additional functionality and be able to map additional specific settings while in that mode only....

dversetto

Post by dversetto » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:11 pm

I can't get into the Automap Mapping Editor. If I open AutoMap and select the editor the window appears with the message: "The Impulse Encoders are in MIDI Mode... No Software connected! Please run Software Setup..."

On the Software Setup tab, The LED next to the Live Icon is always Red. I've run Software Setup many, many times. This LED never turns Green. That's what leads me to believe that AutoMap isn't installing completely.

Dominick

dversetto

Post by dversetto » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:58 am

I just installed the Automap 4-4.1b9 beta. So far that seems to fix the problems.

Dominick

garrypm88

Post by garrypm88 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi I have the same problem, I have updated to automap 4.19b but my DAW (ableton) will still not work with automap. My plugins however, work perfectly with automap. Could somebody tell me what settings to use under prefrences in live? or do I need to set something on the actual impulse controller? Any help would be great.

Kind regards,

Garry

_pascal.lje_

Post by _pascal.lje_ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi,
Check that midi channel 1 is selected in automap preferences > software setup > advanced
I had a similar problem and solved it with that.

garrypm88

Post by garrypm88 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi,

Cheers for the input, I just tried that but I've had no luck. Here is my settings as they are at the moment http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/garrypm88/

Kind regards,

Garry

_pascal.lje_

Post by _pascal.lje_ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:18 pm

I don't know for sure how to configure live with your controller. However here is my setting (novation nocturn keyboard + automap 4.19B, live 8.2.6, macos x lion) : Image

garrypm88

Post by garrypm88 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi,

Thanks again for your response, but sadly it's still not working :(

Kind regards,

GArry

djkristoff

Post by djkristoff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem and have tried loads of different methods but no joy.

I have just this minute got off the phone to Novation Tech support who were very helpful.

The guy i spoke to said that in the new version of AutoMap 4.2 they have done away with the GUI editor and instead implimented using abletons "Config" button on 3rd party plugin's. Then as you clock on the parameters you want to map to your controller they will assign to the encoders from top left to bottom right. I tried this last night and this is the case.

I asked about the message of "No software connected" and it seems this is the case. They guy has the same message when i was speaking to him.

Also the Green light icon was not showing on his set up.

The outcome was he would look in to the "No software connected" message and the green light thing.

It does seem weird that the editor GUI is no longer avaliable but he mentioned something about it being the new version of Live.

If anyone has Logic and Automap 4.2, can you try to see if you get any of the same problems? Im wondering if you used Logic you could get the GUI editor up etc.

Hope this helps

Chris

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi, I have the exactly same problem like the thread opener with my new Impulse 61 (system: Win 7 home premium, Live 8.2.6, Automap 4.0). I also noticed that the different acceleration settings for the encoders don`t change anything which is pretty annoying since it takes 4 full turns on the encoders to go from min. to max. if you turn them slowly.

In addition to that my focusrite saffire 6 usb interface as well as my internal soundchip weren`t recognized by my system anymore after installing Automap (wtf???). i managed to get the internal chip working after fiddling around in the windows device manager. The saffire was recognized again as soon as i swapped the usb ports on my computer. the usb port the saffire ran through is not broken anyway. I checked it by plugging in an external HD and it worked with no hassle it only does not recognize the audio interface since Automap was installed.

I e-mailed the german customer service of novation, as soon as I get a reply I`ll be posting it here. Hope that they can fix this since the Impulse will be an awesome device if it works properly...

P.S.: This wasn`t my first install of Automap. I upgraded from version 3. somewhat to 4.0 before I ran a nocturn keyboard. Maybe I`ll try plugging this in as well tomorrow to see if it works properly with AM 4.0

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:18 am

What I forgot yesterday: After the first Install of Automap 4 the Impulse keyboard showed up as a control surface in the midi preferences, but not as a possible in- or output. I then uninstalled Automap but left the Impulse plugged in and reopened Live, et voi la: Impulse showed up as control surface, and in and out. I set it up as described in the manual and reinstalled Automap and it started to work to that degree the TO describes in his initial post.

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:19 pm

I returned the impulse today after connecting my old nocturn 25 to my system again -it works with automap 4 but i liked the previous version better. maybe it takes a little getting used to (novation reccomends not to downgrade to a previous version once you installed am4 :roll: and after my experiences i certainly will take this advice serious :x ).

the guy at the shop (who was said to be a very experienced automap user) tried to set up the impulse in live on an i-mac. since i assumed the whole problem to be a driver related issue i was pretty much surprised that the guy couldnt get it to work on a mac either. he tried to set it up in cubase 6 and it worked perfectly... so it seems to be a specific live-automap related problem.

i baught an apc 40 instead and ordered an m-audio keystation 61 as big keyboard. setting up the apc took about 10 seconds and it works perfect. the only annoying thing was that the included usb cable is a joke. its way too short to connect the apc with a desktop standing underneath your desk :wink:

djkristoff

Post by djkristoff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 pm

I returned mine today as well. And like you, I had a tech from Novation have issue with Automap 4 and Mac with Live so for me that just proves it not ready for the market.

I was not that impressed with the encoders or faders in the end either, they felt very very cheap.

My search continues for a midi controller

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:12 pm

djkristoff wrote:so for me that just proves it not ready for the market.
yes, sad but true. should have baught the apc40 with a simple keyboard right away. this would have saved my nerves quite a bit 8)