The Apple Television

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: The Apple Television

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:59 pm

beats me wrote:So the WSJ is reporting that Apple executives have been in meetings with media executives about Apple TV over the past couple weeks and it sounds like the media executives went to Apple with “So what’s your plans?”, not Apple going to them with their plans.

Given that I don’t see Apple releasing a full TV any time in 2012. :x

Believe NOTHING.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:43 am

Now the rumors are the Apple TV will initially only be available in 32" and 37" sizes. I don't know what demographic that is aimed at other than fanboys because I don't know anybody that's going to closet their 50"+ TV to replace it with something in the 30's.

And as far as Siri integration I read speculation that it will run on your idevice which makes a lot more sense than yelling at your TV from across the room. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 pm

beats me wrote:Now the rumors are the Apple TV will initially only be available in 32" and 37" sizes. I don't know what demographic that is aimed at other than fanboys because I don't know anybody that's going to closet their 50"+ TV to replace it with something in the 30's.

And as far as Siri integration I read speculation that it will run on your idevice which makes a lot more sense than yelling at your TV from across the room. :x

meh. That report comes from Digitimes - who've been so fantastically WRONG on many of their Apple predictions.

First off 32" to 37" are way too close for Apple to even bother. Makes no sense and is totally retarded. I'd guess more like 32, 44, 55.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:07 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:That report comes from Digitimes - who've been so fantastically WRONG on many of their Apple predictions.
And re-reported by a dozen other Apple blogs. There should be a heavy price to pay for recirculating utter bullshit. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:32 pm

It's awesome, though, how the WORLD is clamouring for news of the Apple television.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:57 pm

But I don’t like the part of the rumors that Apple is looking to kill off the external Apple TV box. I think that would be stupid. That would be like Apple saying “buy a Mac Pro or fuck off.” :x

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 am

To know apples future in the tv biz you just need to look at their past.
how did they really revolutionize computers. they copied a design for a mouse and a gui that was made by some one else and made it slightly better, and then added more (midi/audio)
with the ipod again copied what was already there and added more (copied any mp3 player made before the ipod/copied napster) added more through more storage and legal songs to be downloaded.
with the iphone copied what was already there (cell phone with ability to use internet/play music/ and video/ copied the pda and added multi touch)
so here is what they will do with the tv
ipad copied the i phone and made it big.
copy current tvs that include apps, they will add more apps, they also will have their own service like netflix and they will cram in better search and category engines. it wont be revolutionary but people will end up believing apple invented the smart tv.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:42 am

nathannn wrote: it wont be revolutionary but people will end up believing apple invented the smart tv.
Just to be clear here, Apple actually brought the mouse and windowing environment to production, they copied a prototype based on some theories a few engineers had before Xerox, and Xerox for some reason benched the project, but showed it off.

With the iPhone there wasn't a multi touch phone, that's not copying IMO.

Same with iTunes, you can hate it but Apple got big record companies to allow downloads for a 1$, that's a lot different than loading any mp3 you want on to a player.

Not saying these are shockingly innovative, but it sure wasn't the same as adding another generic device in a well populated field of truly innovative products. Apple get it right because they add user experience whereas most add a "feature". There is a difference. I have to say that I get the sentiment though, I like 'our' Apple fan boys, but most are annoying. :x

AFA Apple TV.
If they add Apple TV next year and drop the Mac Pro line, then I'm pretty certain that I'll be backing away slowly, and over time replacing mac only apps with Windoz compatible software. There's a line in the sand that once crossed you can't crawl back from. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Machinesworking wrote: If they add Apple TV next year and drop the Mac Pro line, then I'm pretty certain that I'll be backing away slowly, and over time replacing mac only apps with Windoz compatible software. There's a line in the sand that once crossed you can't crawl back from. :x

As is reported there’s more tech in our smart phones than it took to put a man on the moon. There’s plenty of people doing high quality audio and video work on MBPs. Apple is all about ease of use for consumers but it’s also a prestige brand and Apple knows it. They aren’t going to abandon their high end cliental and leave them with no Apple options. I think thunderbolt is going to play a big part as soon as more manufacturers jump on board. Apple is always adding new tech before the market has options to utilize it.

In a way ignorant comparison it kind of reminds me of when my coworker got his girlfriend a Mac Mini and she was pissed off because she thought something so small couldn’t possibly handle her facebook and photo storage needs. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:05 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:meh. That report comes from Digitimes - who've been so fantastically WRONG on many of their Apple predictions.
Now the shitwits at Digitimes are claiming the iPad 3 will be released in January. :x

Someday Apple will have another new piece of mind blowing tech that next gen idevices will be rolled out as unceremoniously as Macs are now. 8O

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Everytime I read something that starts out: An unverified report out of the Far East... I know to keep moving along.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:19 pm

So the latest rumor is the Apple TV is going to have pay per show and pay per channel packages. This should be more cost effective than current cable pricing if it's going to work but if the concept really takes off and competitors offer similar I see 2 things happening. Cable companies lowering their rates and if they also provide your internet connection they’ll shoot that price through the roof. :x

But just like the music industry with iTunes it sounds like the networks are just circling around the idea and not trusting it or knowing what to make of it. But unlike the music industry the writing isn’t on the wall yet for TV networks. There’s no threat of assimilate or die. There’s still an overwhelming amount of older people who like things the way they are. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 am

New reports are saying a 55" or larger is on deck. lol. Of COURSE it is. :roll:

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:35 am

LoopStationZebra wrote: With XBMC, can you actually point it to an external hard drive plugged into your Mac?

Did mine months ago and it's been a breeze, no hassles...want to look at updating xbmc soon though if there are new goodies to be had in there. And yes, the lack of avi etc etc support in the basic ATV is...hopeless

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:44 am

Not naming this thread iTV = phail.