Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hmj

Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by hmj » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Interesting to read a PROFESSIONAL completely bash Abletons sound quality. Mind you, this is not another guy on the forum, this is not a Ableton developer talking, this is a guy who actually makes hit records that millions of people consume...

"Everyone says that all DAWs sound the same, but that’s simply not true. I’ve done tests comparing the sound of the same session in different DAWs, and Ableton sounded terrible, Logic and Pro Tools were OK, and Nuendo sounded incredible. Editing in Nuendo is also really fast. Pro Tools is just a standard, it was the first to come onto the market and everybody uses it now, almost out of habit. People in the US don’t know about Nuendo, but I’m sure that if they did, many would switch.”

I could care less about Nuendo but I just wonder how much the all DAW's sound the same campaign is just companies trying to make up for their shortcomings. Marketing can be a very misleading art form, I hope Ableton partaking in it's ugly side.

Full article here - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/a ... t-0411.htm

d-track

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by d-track » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 pm

:oops:

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Here we.go again...LOL...

noland

Post by noland » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:31 pm

yup, and all the OTHER PROFESSIONAL ableton users are just getting paid for working with ableton.
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:48 pm

I died a little inside, reading that.

Did he really use 200 tracks on a song that undeniably sounds like 3 tracks? And 3 bad ones, that is.

:x

And putting 57195179 effects everything? Not sure if trolling, or just forgetting to use the dry/wet knob :x

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Ahem..
In our interview, Sandy Vee is very enthusiastic about Nuendo, and also appears to use plug-ins made by Waves and Universal Audio almost exclusively. While his enthusiasm comes across as very genuine, he’s happy to divulge that he’s endorsed by the likes of Steinberg, Waves, Universal Audio, Softube, FabFilter, Arturia, GForce and Rob Papen. In return, Vee is a beta-tester for many of these companies, and he’s even joined the board of Universal Audio. Apparently all this dates back to Vee developing a professional relationship with Steinberg France many years ago, and things developed from there. Given how busy Vee now is, creating hit songs, one wonders how he manages to still find the time for all these side-activities. This never becomes clear, but he does lift the lid on some of what occupies him in this arena.
:lol:

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Ableton is like reason, Without knowing what to do to make it sound better it does soound off. The auto wrping is bad, some of the insturments effects really color sound. Hence why so much Live music is easily identifiable when you hear it. BUT with lots of tweaking, third party plugs, you can make it sound great.

I use ableton as a slave to tools and things (to me) sound better without much tweaking. Same with reason. For some reason it sounds better. Even if it is not true and it is all just perception it allow me to enjoy my music better when it feels richer.

Anyone who thinks that this is not a Nuendo ad, your kidding yourself. Nuendo is a great program if you've never used it and I don't know why he says that American's don't know about the program?
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

grooverb

Post by grooverb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:00 pm

whatever

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 pm

What a cock. Katy Perrys music is like having sand rubbed in your japseye. cockwash.

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 pm

that interview reads like a Steinberg advert, of course Nuendo sounds the best, dude probably got paid a bunch to say all that. idiot.
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

hmj

Post by hmj » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Dave Pensado said something that has stuck with me forever - "It's better to sound new than to sound good."

Ableton's got the new sound thing covered!

Whether or not Ableton sounds better or worse is irrelevant really, it's not going to make you a better producer etc. When it comes down to it this guys opinion doesn't matter but SO MANY credible engineers and producers consider Live's sound quality horrible that it just makes you wonder. Whether you like pop music or not, these records DO sound great, their huge, glamorous and very attractive. So while it may or may not be true only a fool would blindly believe something like all DAWS sound the same.

My only curiosity at this point is about the marketing tactics of Ableton, not sure if they're being 100% transparent about what the program is actually doing to our sound.

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:47 pm

explains Steinberg endorsee Vee (see box overleaf).

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:58 pm

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:14 am

It's probably just due to Lives debilitatingly muddy summing bus.

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:51 am

guess why Nuendo is not a favorite? ITS FRIGGIN $1800! i just looked it up and was shocked.
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i