spotify... yeah itunes can rip now.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

spotify... yeah itunes can rip now.

Post by nathannn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:39 am

i just discovered spotify. i seriously lol'd when i seen it. ALL THE MUSIC IS FREE and its legal. first they sue us for downloading then they make us pay an unreasonable amount of money for music and then finally they give up and let us have it for free.
i really dont know much about this but really, the cd is dead now and so is buying music just like i knew it would be.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Re: spotify... yeah itunes can rip now.

Post by nathannn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:48 am

just discovered spotify ads.. nevermind about music being free.
also discovered the horrible bit rate of spotify.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:07 am

we have spotify now a couple of years already in spain. I guess every bar or store in the city has a license (for playing music without ad-breaks). A lot of people also pay for the ad-free option at home. It's great especially on parties or such when anyone can select any kind of favorite music and it's just there and can get played.
there are some gaps in the catalogue, but still for me it feels like having a warehouse full of records on the computer.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Spotify users enjoyed more than 1m plays of Lady Gaga's song Poker Face – which earned Her Gaganess the sum of $167.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/ap ... ey-spotify

And I read some less-than-super-mega-hit-star singer earned 0.02 DKK (0.0034 USD!) from every play count, resulting in what amounts to like $40 a month.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:36 am

it's not leagal in my country yet, but it's nothing to be happy about, my last record sales statement had a woping 1,5 $ worth of spotify click, seriusously, what was alowing me and a lot of people to go down to the studio and make concentrate on doing some music is gone, i can't see anything to be happy about it.

p.s. i was in a home party few weeks ago, and they where streeming hit songs with commercial break out of spotify, and no one care! so lame

Participants

Post by Participants » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:44 am

You do realize that that your music doesn't actually have to be on Spotify, right? I don't understand what you're complaining about truthfully; it's hardly mandatory for any artist to be on there.

Spotify is outstanding, and I, like a whole lot of other people, get exposed to a lot of music I wouldn't have otherwise had it not existed. Artists should be happy about this.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:44 am

... Check out Grooveshark! 8)
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 pm

nathannn wrote:i just discovered spotify. i seriously lol'd when i seen it. ALL THE MUSIC IS FREE and its legal. first they sue us for downloading then they make us pay an unreasonable amount of money for music and then finally they give up and let us have it for free.
i really dont know much about this but really, the cd is dead now and so is buying music just like i knew it would be.

...and you are a Nerd! 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:19 pm

we have spotify for a few years and it,s great for the users but lately some labels are leaving spotify because they make no money.

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 pm

i like when these spotify threads pop up, just so i can post this:
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2 ... rn-online/
Participants wrote:...it's hardly mandatory for any artist to be on there.
Spotify is outstanding, and I, like a whole lot of other people, get exposed to a lot of music I wouldn't have otherwise had it not existed. Artists should be happy about this.
A. any artist who has a contract with a label who in turn has a contract with a digital distro hardly has a choice. it took six months for the label i co-own to remove our music from spotify, and we had to remove everything.

B. re: "exposure". exposure is not proper compensation. the problem with spotify is that the money is being made, it's just going in everyone else's pocket except the artists creating the content.

also, re: grooveshark. they are currently being sued for non-payment of royalties so i don't know if they're the best alternative.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... k-20120106
i'm no fan of major labels and their penchant for lawsuits, but they claim that NO royalty payments have been made. zero.

posssu

Post by posssu » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:09 pm

nathannn wrote:just discovered spotify ads.. nevermind about music being free.
also discovered the horrible bit rate of spotify.
It's about 9 euros / month for the Premium-subscription without any ads and with much better bitrate.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:44 pm

I use Pandora (no explanation needed on that one) and Slacker which I think might be like Spotify, you can listen to any song/artist/album on demand. There are some holes in the catalog but most music is there. I pay $10 a month for commercial free, better streaming quality, and the ability to download some music to their proprietary software/app for offline listening.

Even with those options I still buy a ton of music and a lot of it is because of those sites after listening to something. I couldn’t tell you the last time I pirated music. Mostly I just use those sites when I’m in the mood to be possibly introduced to something new to me (Pandora) or I don’t have an artist’s entire catalog or it’s an artist I’m only rarely in the mood for. Billy Joel is doing just fine without my coinage.

It should also be mentioned that the internet has greatly impacted the radio industry and even though a ton of new genres are constantly coming out the radio industry has been consistently changing their station format to a tiny select few. Here’s it’s all either Pop, Classic (Rock, Pop, R&B), or Ranchero. Last year they even changed one of the longest running and successful Commercial/Smooth Jazz stations to Classic Whatever. It’s a sad state of affairs for people who want to listen to and discover a variety of music old school style on the radio.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:18 pm

scientist wrote:i like when these spotify threads pop up, just so i can post this:

the problem with spotify is that the money is being made, it's just going in everyone else's pocket except the artists creating the content.
Amen.