A new house even you can afford

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

A new house even you can afford

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:27 am

I was on a site last week that lets you enter your annual income and then tells you the size home loan you qualify for, how much your down payment should be, and what your monthly payment would be. I know I'm in no position to buy a house but I was curious. The amount I qualify for would get me 2/3 of a shithole in an extreme bad part of town with a down payment that is obscene and my monthly mortgage would be $500 more than I'm pay now in rent.

I told my mom how preposterous it was and then days later she sends me this.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

At first I was :x

And then I was 8O

They're actually kind of cool, efficient and far cheaper then a normal house, or for those with the financial means and the property could make a decent little music shed.

gjm

Re: A new house even you can afford

Post by gjm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 am

Before I finally closed my boat building business down, I was approached by a company http://www.cabinstogo.co.nz/ to design and build a panel system they could use to rapidly construct their cabins. The panels were 4ft by 8ft that were insulated and had a finished interior and exterior surface, except for paint. They had a simple connecting system and were made entirely from materials from the local lumber yard. They were also made several at a time with minimum labour. I made just under 200 of these panels, enough for about 20 cabins.

These types of portable cabins with wheels on are on the rise here. Trends for future living strategies are suggesting that in areas where the traditional family home that does not have enough land to subdivide, can have these types of dwellings trucked or dropped in. There are already trends where adult kids who simply cannot afford mortgages are moving back home to the back yard. Councils are fighting with bylaws but will have to rethink and have some concessions at some point.

There are tonnes of very convenient technologies now available for power, water and waste that make small footprint living very comfortable. The main problem though comes with finding a like minded partner, if that is important.

The panel system I developed was eventually canned, but not for reasons that it did not work. I still own the design and technology. One day if I have an opportunity I would like to revisit this. I think it could be a growth market, matched with the right emphasis.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 am

http://tinytexashouses.com/

I'm really interested in owning one, or a container home someday.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 pm

beats me wrote:I was on a site last week that lets you enter your annual income and then tells you the size home loan you qualify for, how much your down payment should be, and what your monthly payment would be. I know I'm in no position to buy a house but I was curious. The amount I qualify for would get me 2/3 of a shithole in an extreme bad part of town with a down payment that is obscene and my monthly mortgage would be $500 more than I'm pay now in rent.

And then I was 8O

They're actually kind of cool, efficient and far cheaper then a normal house, or for those with the financial means and the property could make a decent little music shed.

Such a great concept and website. Love those. I may plop a few somewhere on my 10,000 acre estate - maybe behind my 30,000sqft mansion.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:52 pm

The secret to owning large amounts of land and being able to afford the upkeep is to allow bee keepers to place their bees on it. (Lowers your taxes to like nothing)

...at least in the states.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:09 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:I was on a site last week that lets you enter your annual income and then tells you the size home loan you qualify for, how much your down payment should be, and what your monthly payment would be. I know I'm in no position to buy a house but I was curious. The amount I qualify for would get me 2/3 of a shithole in an extreme bad part of town with a down payment that is obscene and my monthly mortgage would be $500 more than I'm pay now in rent.

And then I was 8O

Such a great concept and website. Love those. I may plop a few somewhere on my 10,000 acre estate - maybe behind my 30,000sqft mansion.

Is this some sort of tax trick? :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:18 pm

One of my favorite avoiding life activities is watching the show American Pickers, the show where 2 dudes drive around the states and do pop ins at backwoods hoarders to rifle through their generations old crap heap to buy hidden gems to resell for a premium. What I noticed about the people they are pillaging from is what they lack in style, education, hygiene, and teeth they make up for in acreage and a small towns worth of buildings that will probably all collapse by Thursday.

If I had just 1 acre I’d plop several of these buildings down. 1 to live in, 1 for music, and 1 for my own lonely mini bar/club. Maybe add another building every 5 years or so. The problem is where I live, where my job is, is stupid expensive even for just land because asshole developers will buy a 1/8th acre single family home, demolish the house, and wedge 6 mini condos on to the same plot of land. :x

But this might not be a bad time to start looking for property in the local bumfucks and start constructing my village. :P

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:45 pm

large amounts of land
God I love Texas.

Unsound Designer

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 pm

stringtapper wrote:
large amounts of land
God Loves Texas.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:21 pm

I can dig the playhouse thing but that guy's kind of a freak, ain't he?

What about Pepper?

That NYT article from the about me page is pathetic; is it even legit?

Nothin wrong with a village of deviants if it's all consentual, I guess.
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
large amounts of land
God Loves Texas.

That's what I meant. :oops:

Unsound Designer

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:27 am

You could get 250 acres for 50k... Raw land in BFE, mind you. Just where I'd want it.
http://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?c ... C=%2c56999

But I don't have any where near that amount of funds available...

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:57 am

HOLY SHIT WE HAVE TO GO IN ON THAT
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:52 pm

shuutobi wrote:You could get 250 acres for 50k... Raw land in BFE, mind you. Just where I'd want it.
http://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?c ... C=%2c56999

But I don't have any where near that amount of funds available...

50k was the recommended down payment on a loan that would get me 2/3rds of a shithole locally.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 pm

What happened to Scu?
ImageImage