Akai MPD-32 remote script (with red box)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Seppe

Re: Akai MPD-32 remote script (with red box)

Post by Seppe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:01 pm

I have updated the script in order to make it work with Live 8.2.2, it was only a minor tweak.
Just download it, reinstall it and let me know if you have any problems.

matthewmcvickar

Post by matthewmcvickar » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:17 am

Seppe wrote:I have updated the script in order to make it work with Live 8.2.2, it was only a minor tweak.
Just download it, reinstall it and let me know if you have any problems.
Works great; thank you.

jakesd

Post by jakesd » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 am

Sepp, first of all, excellent work this is an awesome script!

i was wondering if it would be possible to simplify the script so that the faders aren't assigned to anything, thus leaving it up to the user to decide how to map them according to their Live set. To elaborate a bit more; i'd like to be able to set it so that when using control bank A, i can assign F1-f8 to a parameter like track volume or pan for tracks 1-8 within Live's midi mapping instead of using the pre-scripted control over sends A and B.

The red box functionality with the pads and the S keys is excellent, i think that is the most important feature of this script. What would you suggest to preform this sort of modification?

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:16 pm

jakesd wrote:Sepp, first of all, excellent work this is an awesome script!

i was wondering if it would be possible to simplify the script so that the faders aren't assigned to anything, thus leaving it up to the user to decide how to map them according to their Live set. To elaborate a bit more; i'd like to be able to set it so that when using control bank A, i can assign F1-f8 to a parameter like track volume or pan for tracks 1-8 within Live's midi mapping instead of using the pre-scripted control over sends A and B.

The red box functionality with the pads and the S keys is excellent, i think that is the most important feature of this script. What would you suggest to preform this sort of modification?
I'm in the middle of moving to a new house, so I cannot test this, but I think you can just override the mappings of the scripts with regular midi mappings. Just try it and let me know if it works. You could also delete the mappings of the faders in the script itself, but I don't see the point of this if you can override the mapping.

pdpl

Post by pdpl » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:01 am

Thanks so much for all this work, Seppe!

I'm running this remote script for my first time in 8.2.5. I've found (as you've noted in the thread) that midi mapping overrides the script -- at least until the live set is saved and reopened. No problem.

The issue that I'm running into is when I create a new audio, midi, or return track or when I attempt to drop in an effect. This also appears to shut down the script. Any ideas for working around this (apart from the aforementioned "save and reopen" method)?

thanks again, and all the best!

Weaverbeats

Post by Weaverbeats » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 am

yes thank you :P for all the work put into this.

I got it set up and started using it, then i realized one key feature its missing.
It needs stop clip buttons for the columns underneath the red box.
Please incorporate this sir, you will have my deepest grattitudes ;#

In the meantime im gonna look at the code and try to figure it out myself, lol this probably wont go well.

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:42 am

Weaverbeats wrote:yes thank you :P for all the work put into this.

I got it set up and started using it, then i realized one key feature its missing.
It needs stop clip buttons for the columns underneath the red box.
Please incorporate this sir, you will have my deepest grattitudes ;#

In the meantime im gonna look at the code and try to figure it out myself, lol this probably wont go well.
It's certainly possible to implement this, but of course, the number of available buttons on your MPD is limited...

Weaverbeats

Post by Weaverbeats » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:42 am

I had a couple of ideas, you could make it the shift s keys or
you could make the bottom row pads the stop clips.

jpodtbc

Post by jpodtbc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:41 am

hi seppe.

i've spent lots of time working with what you've done here, modifying for my own purposes. however i'm running into strange issues where the remote script randomly "disconnects" from live. what i mean is, it simply stops responding. re-initializing the script by choosing it from the remote scripts menu fixes this...temporarily until the next disconnect.

in trying to debug, the only thing i'm seeing in the Log.txt file is loads of errors for every button press. the script will work correctly in ableton, however it throws 4 of these for every button press:

6731784 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

6731784 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts/_Framework/ControlSurface.py", line 460, in receive_midi

6731785 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts/_Framework/ControlSurface.py", line 469, in handle_sysex

6731785 ms. RemoteScriptError: AssertionError
6731785 ms. RemoteScriptError:
6731785 ms. RemoteScriptError:

with no documentation on what is in ControlSurface.py i have not been able to find any helpful information explaining why this is happening but i'm thinking that it might be the cause of my problems. does your script give you the same errors in the ableton log file?

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:42 pm

The script should not give any error messages in the log file. What version of Live are you running? Maybe the remote script machinery changed in a newer version (I'm a bit behind on updating). I will check the script with the newest version when I find the time (not so easy these days...).

Thanks for letting me know,

Seppe

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:58 pm

I finally got the time to update Live and test the script(s), but I haven't been able to reproduce your problem. Anyone else who has this?

As you hinted, supporting these scripts is difficult because there is no documentation. Ableton should take a position on this matter...

MrBen

Post by MrBen » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the script! However (sorry), is there a way to use this in conjunction with Instant Mappings?
I use an MPD24, and on Bank B I use these pads to switch between effects i.e. give them "focus". Since all
my effects are in Effects Racks, when I switch to them the 8 knobs are automatically mapped to my MPD knobs.
However when using the "Red Box" script this has stopped working sadly.

Thanks again.

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:50 pm

MrBen wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the script! However (sorry), is there a way to use this in conjunction with Instant Mappings?
I use an MPD24, and on Bank B I use these pads to switch between effects i.e. give them "focus". Since all
my effects are in Effects Racks, when I switch to them the 8 knobs are automatically mapped to my MPD knobs.

Thanks again.
If I remember well, the Instant Mappings are just scripts like the Red Box one. So you could either try to add the code of the instant mapping script to the red box script (although that won't be as easy as it sounds) or you could try activating both scripts (although I don't know if Live allows that, you should check).

Seppe

MrBen

Post by MrBen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 am

Seppe wrote:
MrBen wrote:Hi,

Thanks again.
If I remember well, the Instant Mappings are just scripts like the Red Box one. So you could either try to add the code of the instant mapping script to the red box script (although that won't be as easy as it sounds) or you could try activating both scripts (although I don't know if Live allows that, you should check).

Seppe
Sorted! As you rightly say you can select both scripts in Ableton Preferences and "point them" towards your controller. I now had the Red Box working along with all of the Instant Mappings for my MPD24.

Thanks again!! :D

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:14 pm

MrBen wrote:
Sorted!
Great!