convert .aif to .wav

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

convert .aif to .wav

Post by icedsushi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:29 pm

What's the easiest way to do this without any degradation or having to resample & trim the files?

Without getting special software to do this simple task, I'm thinking I can just load them into iTunes, right click & "create WAV version". Is this the best way to do it?

icedsushi

Re: convert .aif to .wav

Post by icedsushi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:49 pm

iTunes didn't work for my application because they're 24 bit files & it converts them to 16 bit.

pharos

Post by pharos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:32 pm

I use Foobar2000 for converting .aif to wav, but I'm not sure about 24 to 16 bit. Someone else will have to chime in.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 pm

OK, I'm on a mac and Foobar2000 is for windows.

I tried this application but it significantly reduced the size of the files, even when I selected the same format as the output format:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

Which leads me to believe it reduced them to 16 bit as well...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Use Max from Sbooth.org.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm

There's a handy application for Mac called xACT that can convert all kinds of audio files. It's free.

Last edited by Komodovaran on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 pm

icedsushi wrote:iTunes didn't work for my application because they're 24 bit files & it converts them to 16 bit.
some flavors of aif are 16 bit only, Apple has changed the standard over the years (they invented it.)

both aif and wav are lossless PCM codecs (audio data straight off the A/D converter.) transcoding from one to the other should also be a no-brainer lossless operation.

I've been using CDEX for years.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

pharos

Post by pharos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:14 pm

icedsushi wrote:OK, I'm on a mac and Foobar2000 is for windows.
Whoops, my bad. I automatically said Foobar since I just did this the other day myself. Hope you get it sorted out.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:09 am

Tarekith wrote:Use Max from Sbooth.org.
yep, what he said.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:57 am

Lemon-squeezy! XLD, tis free, super-flexible and you save all your conversion setups as profiles.

Btw, can you not do it in Live??

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 am

fishmonkey wrote:
yep, what he said.
I use this too but if you really wanted no extra software you could just bring the .aif into Live, turn off warping, then export it to .wav
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:20 am

tempus3r wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
yep, what he said.
I use this too but if you really wanted no extra software you could just bring the .aif into Live, turn off warping, then export it to .wav
pffft, with Live's audio quality?? you serious?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:58 am

Tone Deft wrote:
tempus3r wrote:
pffft, with Live's audio quality?? you serious?
rofl.

Good point. The lack of 128bit analog summing bus. What was I thinking. It doesn't even have "pro" in the name. I'm so stupid.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:15 am

Or just download Audacity (:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:00 am

If anyone is interested I stumbled upon how to do this easily with an app I already had :oops: :) . Izotope RX, just open the .aif file, then save as, select .wav. So easy! No resampling, bit reduction, signal loss or editing out silence after recording required and the sample comes out an exact copy, just in the other format.

Of the suggestions above, Audacity, SBooth or xACT probably would have worked fine but I never needed to try them after I realized something I already had would do it.
tempus3r wrote:if you really wanted no extra software you could just bring the .aif into Live, turn off warping, then export it to .wav
At first I was thinking I'd need to meticulously trim the silence out of the files after resampling them in Live locked to the grid.

But yeah as you say, you can just drag the 24 bit .aif clip onto the arrange page, turn warping off, select the clip & hit export, select 24 bit .wav. And it will only render what is selected. I would think that should turn out exactly the same, but I saw some comments on here that using the track resample is more accurate than the export? Maybe that was just hearsay or incorrect. Theoretically/ideally you should be able to export, load the new file, export that, repeat 9 times the tenth sample should be the same as the first I would like to believe.