finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Bitwig Studio... think they considered the name Bitwig Live?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:15 pm

did you request the button nathann

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:16 pm

i did :(
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:19 pm

funny.

I work as an animator in a studio and we are always asking the tech guys to make us an animate this button.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Congrats to the 'wiggers on their highly interesting new baby.
Very familiar looking!

I only hope that Abletons lawyer and Katy Perry's producer approves of it, then I will be able to buy it. Because it has lots of things I want in there. Good work guys. Can't wait to see it in action

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 pm

i.m sure the bitwigs are reading this forum (which shure give them extra motivation;)

Put in a (reasons)Redrum!

daviec75

Post by daviec75 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:32 pm

As much as this does indeed look very exciting (a browser with meta data would make my life a LOT easier), have to say I'm a wee bit saddened by the reaction on here. So many people seem to be sounding the death knell for Live - the software has played a massive role in the music and careers of so many of us. Isn't there a touch more loyalty among this community for Live? Would people genuinely celebrate if Bitwig put Ableton out of business (which isn't as far fetched as it might seem)?

Let's not forget that Ableton re-wrote the book on DAW workflow. From what we can see of Bitwig it doesn't exactly scream innovation, which makes me wonder how about the creativity of the people behind it. In fact it's similarity (not just session view but device chains scrolling along the foot of the screen, which is key aspect of the Live interface) just goes to show how much Live has gotten right. Maybe when we get to use and hear Bigwig we'll realise there are other aspects of Live that we've started to take for granted.

Progress is progress and competition is of course better for everyone. But maybe we should be careful what we wish for.

Anyway, I have a feeling we'll be seeing Live 9 next week and I for one hope it takes Ableton back into pole positon. I think they've earned it.

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 pm

although it covers my no.1 feature request ever (multiple audio parts inside one clip) it still leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth..

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:41 pm

daviec75 wrote:have to say I'm a wee bit saddened by the reaction on here.
if you can find a more dramatical forum I'd hate to see it.

OMFGTHENEWBOXFORLIVEISANAWFULCOLORHOWCOULDTHEYDOTHATTHISPRODUCTSUCKSIHATEITANDITSOUNDSLIKESHITYOUSUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:43 pm

it amazes me that people believe in such extreams. Nobody is going out of business over it.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 pm

daviec75 wrote:As much as this does indeed look very exciting (a browser with meta data would make my life a LOT easier), have to say I'm a wee bit saddened by the reaction on here. So many people seem to be sounding the death knell for Live - the software has played a massive role in the music and careers of so many of us. Isn't there a touch more loyalty among this community for Live? Would people genuinely celebrate if Bitwig put Ableton out of business (which isn't as far fetched as it might seem)?

Let's not forget that Ableton re-wrote the book on DAW workflow. From what we can see of Bitwig it doesn't exactly scream innovation, which makes me wonder how about the creativity of the people behind it. In fact it's similarity (not just session view but device chains scrolling along the foot of the screen, which is key aspect of the Live interface) just goes to show how much Live has gotten right. Maybe when we get to use and hear Bigwig we'll realise there are other aspects of Live that we've started to take for granted.

Progress is progress and competition is of course better for everyone. But maybe we should be careful what we wish for.

Anyway, I have a feeling we'll be seeing Live 9 next week and I for one hope it takes Ableton back into pole positon. I think they've earned it.
I don't see why every single live user should not be happy. Even if you never intend on trying BW, it is good to have competition to make ableton bring out the best they've got. This is good for all of us including the companies because it will push them both to innovate and make better products for us to perform with.

As I've commented before I can't WAIT to see what ableton has in response to this because it's going to be EPIC. I don't want ableton to fail I want them to do things we could never think of!

Win-win as far as I can tell
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 pm

daviec75 wrote:As much as this does indeed look very exciting (a browser with meta data would make my life a LOT easier), have to say I'm a wee bit saddened by the reaction on here. So many people seem to be sounding the death knell for Live - the software has played a massive role in the music and careers of so many of us. Isn't there a touch more loyalty among this community for Live? Would people genuinely celebrate if Bitwig put Ableton out of business (which isn't as far fetched as it might seem)?

I love Live. I also love entrepreneurship. I feel no loyalty for firms just as they exhibit no loyalty towards me. I suppose in a way I have loyalty for products, so long as they continue to meet my needs.

I see three distinct possibilities.
  1. Bitwig sucks, no meaningful impact on Live or Live users. Short term net benefit: neutral. Long term net benefit: potentially negative, if Ableton takes the failure of its most notable competitor to date as an opportunity to rest on their laurels.
  2. Bitwig is good, draws some users away from Live, and lights a fire under Ableton's ass to improve. Both products are better as a result. Customers have more choice, market pressures facilitate product growth while driving prices down. Short term net benefit: positive for Bitwig users. Long term net benefit: positive for everyone.
  3. Bitwig is so fucking awesome that it puts Live out of business (I don't foresee this as even semi-plausible, but fuck it). Short term net benefit: Positive. If it's that much better than Live, we're lucky it's being brought into existence. Long term net benefit: Neutral—right now there's one product like Live on the market: Live. In this scenario there will remain one product like live on the market: Bitwig.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Ah thanks; you said it better than how I would have.

It is kind of a whiplash though. I don't think anyone expected it to be a flat-out Live red-headed step-child, and this is a first for real competition with the paradigm so you can't avoid the polarization.
What I find riveting is how this affects Ableton and Live, like, did they have any clue what it would be like, or did they see it for the first time like we did? If they're close to releasing 9 before knowing about this, will it be even more anti-climactic? The expectations are higher now and Ableton could have started feeling peaceful with how things are going until the new hunk on the block may be a threat. This is some mini-series shit goin on. The fact that veterans are involved just adds to the drama. Pirates of Silicon Valley DAW style.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 pm

the reason people are slightly excited is because of all the things we have been requesting to be in live for years are finally going to be available. every one wanted ableton to put these features into live but they never did it and its not like they where going to release the code so outside programmers could do it. we have been pretty much stuck for years doing pain in the ass work around's to get simple functions. most of the time after working around lives inability to do something i give up. when you are inspired the last thing you want is the program say "oops you cant do that" "oh you thought you could do that also...nope, try something else" and then you discover the ableton forum.
all this said though i think live 9 will probably have all of this plus more. its just nice to know that if ableton does not release live 9 in the near future we have another option.
and the whole "they are copying live" well no art is really original. you should be allowed to build on other peoples work if its going to benefit people. you should also give the originator massive credit though.

lol at originator ... what a dumb made up word.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:56 pm

William wrote:Wow this is just Live with the features everyone's been asking for lol
...but with a heck of a lot of features from Live are missing here, let's be honest ;)

Live 8 is a mature product, with plenty of third party support and a huge international user base ranging from bedroom musos to international superstars....

Bitwig does look like an upstart challenger that has a few nice tricks, but a huge amount of ground to catch up, and not a lot here that's really so innovative....
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud