finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
headquest

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by headquest » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:50 pm

ze2be wrote: The mixer with sends, the matrix, most of the plugs (see the compresor!), the drum rack, the device view, the transport, the overall layout.. It looks exactly like Live!
But then there is more selection tools, like a knife and a rubber, and lots of other nice improvements.. To me it looks more like Live 10 then Live 9..
...until you take a moment to spot all the stuff it clearly DOESN'T have ;)

The fact it has so many similarities merely suggests that either bitwig can't think of their own better way of doing it, or they are deliberately trying to goad their ex-employers for whatever reason. Either way, not something I feel too excited about just yet...
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:52 pm

moonpie wrote:Are people seriously considering Ableton is secretly releasing Live 9 as... well not Live 9?? Bitwig must be both laughing and crying with their effort so. It would be ludicrous to change the brand and lose part of the user base. Its impossible - I mean really - ok it might be "possible" on an internet forum but how often is that grounded in actual reality?! Ok, its fun to read and theorize - but seriously guys - no-one reasonable could actually think this. Bitwig obviously "share" some of its aesthetic with Ableton (the current ableton anyways - we dont know what Live 9 will hold) but theyre a competing brand pure and simple.
its quite obvious that both Live and Bitwig are produced from the secret world government, it's all lies to trick the sheeple!!! Ableton have a crashed UFO and this whole bitwig thing is just a front for alien technology to control our minds.

It's either that or 3 guys left ableton to start a company in the same hip part of Berlin at the nearby businesspark, and built their new product based on what they knew was wanted from their previous company.

nah, can't be that.
I bet the BitWig is really Gerhard in disguise!! Yeah!!

(actually no)

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:55 pm

ze2be wrote:
moonpie wrote:Are people seriously considering Ableton is secretly releasing Live 9 as... well not Live 9?? Bitwig must be both laughing and crying with their effort so. It would be ludicrous to change the brand and lose part of the user base. Its impossible - I mean really - ok it might be "possible" on an internet forum but how often is that grounded in actual reality?! Ok, its fun to read and theorize - but seriously guys - no-one reasonable could actually think this. Bitwig obviously "share" some of its aesthetic with Ableton (the current ableton anyways - we dont know what Live 9 will hold) but theyre a competing brand pure and simple.
The mixer with sends, the matrix, most of the plugs (see the compresor!), the drum rack, the device view, the transport, the overall layout.. It looks exactly like Live!
But then there is more selection tools, like a knife and a rubber, and lots of other nice improvements.. To me it looks more like Live 10 then Live 9..
Yeah - its eerily similar it must be said. For that type of design - these guys are either very brave or were intrinsic to the development of Live. And yeah, its pretty great looking. But I guess - my point would be - imagine how these forums would jump with actual release info of live 9 - you cant pay for that type of publicity and exposure and all round beta-testing. The website would be down for a couple of hours!

Also - Ableton as a live performance platform is ALWAYS going to have its share of bugs with such a large (and vocal! :)) user base. Software development is constant, updates for vsts/controllers/operating systems are always ongoing. To keep up with that - to provide absolutely rock solid stable Live performance - is, I imagine, extremely difficult. Bitwig will be no different - and Ableton have been developing software (as in 8.2.8) to address this issue and have the experience of dealing with it. Id say Bitwig will be the exact same - and theyll be starting from a much earlier position with regards to stability..
Last edited by moonpie on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Angstrom wrote:
its quite obvious that both Live and Bitwig are produced from the secret world government, it's all lies to trick the sheeple!!! Ableton have a crashed UFO and this whole bitwig thing is just a front for alien technology to control our minds.

It's either that or 3 guys left ableton to start a company in the same hip part of Berlin at the nearby businesspark, and built their new product based on what they knew was wanted from their previous company.

nah, can't be that.
I bet the BitWig is really Gerhard in disguise!! Yeah!!

(actually no)

Haha! Sheeple! That actually made me geekily snort with laughter.

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Jeroen wrote:Placidus Schelbert
CEO/Geschäftsführer, sales, marketing, finance

geschaftsfurher ....?

common guys .... this is a hoax. this site will disappear in days and turn into live9. my bet
Dude You don't have a clue, I wish people would actually read about the Issues before commenting....

THIS IS NOT A HOAX... AND IT IS NOT LIVE 9!!!! Please people do some research before saying such stupid things.
Out of my own curiosity I have been following there progress for quite some time (I think close to 2 years now) as many user's have and personally I would have liked to see a product with a lot less controversy on the release but it is what it is.

Certain parts of the ableton UI and in my opinion some of the Native Instruments UI's to a certain extent are very similar, but how much is actually protected under copyright laws. I hardly think that they had not sort legal advise before doing so.. (If not this would be a big mistake) but it's not the first time that this kind of thing has happened in the music hardware software industry, look at every drum machine, synthesizer and effect unit let alone the software.. all the ideas have been copied over and over..
even take the Korg Nano Pad and Akai LPD/ LPK, they are to similar not to copied from one another to a certain extent.. and that is just one example.

To the people saying they stole abletons code.. GET A GRIP, this would definitely result in a major lawsuit and I'm sure that the Bitwig's are not that stupid for legal aspect of it and it has been long known that abletons code is a monster to control.

Were all just gonna have to wait to see what happens in the coming weeks, I'm nearly certain we will not hear an official response from Ableton regarding BitWig Studio as this would be just adding fuel to fire of the debate and in my opinion an immature action from them.
I feel that regardless of what the opinion is here on the forum good or bad, this is a good thing because ableton will have to step up there game and push more stability updates future price drops.

I love ableton I have used it for many years now and I dont intend to stop but in the intrest of competition may the best product win the battle.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

Magik_10

Post by Magik_10 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:02 pm

All this talk about ex-developers jumping ship and building a new but smaller vessel that looks very much like the original minus the taking on water.

The question is!? who is at the controls of the Ableton ship...

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 pm

headquest wrote:The fact it has so many similarities merely suggests that either bitwig can't think of their own better way of doing it, or they are deliberately trying to goad their ex-employers for whatever reason.

YEP. Seems to me there would have been plenty of opportunity to not just add features that Live hasn't 'yet', but to rethink workflow and how people interface with the program. There are plenty of ideas on how things could be different, not just adding automation and moving a few minor things around.

The more I think about it, the less I am interested in bitwig, and more excited to see what Live 9 is offering.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:08 pm

yep, I decided that the people who thought that Bitwig was a cover for Live 9 simply had a dry sense of humour. The alternative interpretation of their comments just reflects really badly on humanity.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:10 pm

I am also just speculating. I am not convinced I am right.

I cannot imagine 6 people that are ambitious and apparently capable are so stupid to make something that is so much a of copy cat of ableton, unless it is some form of cooperation

even if they can get away with it legally, I am surprised someone picks such a lousy business strategy.
Life is made of stories not atoms

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:15 pm

I dont know. Maybe they are as helplessly addicted to Live just like any others. Seems that way, difficult to "let go"

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Maybe so but as i said before.. It is what it is..
I'm not for or against it but I am very interested to see what happens next..
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:24 pm

I think that in general competition is a good thing for us customers. Hopefully we can all benefit by having some damn software options, as long as this whole thing doesn't descend into a swamp of legal issues and somehow

I know my high postcount marks me out (to idiots) as an Ableton fanboy, but in reality I'll leap ship to any software that does what I want it to do. As great as Studio One is, it still doesn't function as I'd like and nobody else has really embraced the non-linear idea of music. So having competition, even if its underlying basis is questionable, should give us consumers a better outcome all round.

Ableton have been the only runner in this race for far too long!

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:29 pm

All the troubels with live8 and the 9 delay began when ableton were/are focussing on M4L.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Talking of which, time for that gnawing feeling of the ground shifting underneath you, the dawning realisation that there's soon going to be a completely new FORUM with post counts starting at zero.

The horror.

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Angstrom wrote:I think that in general competition is a good thing for us customers. Hopefully we can all benefit by having some damn software options, as long as this whole thing doesn't descend into a swamp of legal issues and somehow

I know my high postcount marks me out (to idiots) as an Ableton fanboy, but in reality I'll leap ship to any software that does what I want it to do. As great as Studio One is, it still doesn't function as I'd like and nobody else has really embraced the non-linear idea of music. So having competition, even if its underlying basis is questionable, should give us consumers a better outcome all round.

Ableton have been the only runner in this race for far too long!

Agreed.

I'd say this is the year of the software battles..
the constant drawn out three way between Logic, Protools and cubase.
Ableton v.s. bitwig
and last but not least Maschine V.s. MPC studio

i also predict some severer price drops to fuel competition in the softsynth market.