ableton sound engine and new monolake album

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
superistic

Re: ableton sound engine and new monolake album

Post by superistic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 pm

monolake wrote:
cacti wrote:Here's a thought. Perhaps he didn't mix the album, but rather someone else who is more comfortable using pro tools.
eh...? i have no idea how old you are but, i started editing stuff in PT in the early 1990s... ... the reason why i am not using PT when making music is very simple: Live does all i need. If i were to record 30 tracks of background vocals and orchestra i would certainly use a different DAW, but not for 'sound' but for PTs locators, grouping etc... ... and then I would have Live rewired to it and bounce stuff back and force all the time because i actually *like* what i can do with my sounds in Live, things I cannot do in other DAWs.

for me the only reason why someone else should mix my album album is because this person would listen to things with different and fresh ears and not because I am too stupid for it. I studied sound engineering for film for gods sake!!!!!

and, one last thing: if the Icon were used to mix the album, why on earth would it be rolled out of the way on the window and not being located in the correct listening position between the big main monitors? ??? ? ?? ?

the console was rolled out of the way because it would cause reflections of the sound from the monitors and color the sound. this is why for mastering there is only the little table with -most important for the sound quality: the coffee mug ( analogically heated with a discrete coffee maker, not the one that comes with Live ) !

wow those big speakers there look deadly - i dread to think how much they might cost....

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:57 pm

omg salacious

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:59 pm

So what bottle is that?
ImageImage

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 pm

shadx312 wrote:So what bottle is that?
it's not so much what the bottle is, it's the placement of the bottle, the direction the label is facing, what liquid's inside, how much it's filled and whether the cork is in, out or partway inserted.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

esky

Post by esky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:16 pm

wow those big speakers there look deadly - i dread to think how much they might cost....
Here you go...http://proaudiogear.de/product_info.php?products_id=860

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 pm

esky thx for the link m8, just ordered a pair! chump change
Last edited by simmerdown on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:25 pm

it's not so much what the bottle is, it's the placement of the bottle, the direction the label is facing, what liquid's inside, how much it's filled and whether the cork is in, out or partway inserted.
An important thing you forgot is how long it's been sitting there.
ImageImage

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:06 pm

shadx312 wrote:
An important thing you forgot is how long it's been sitting there.
As well as how much it bends spacetime around it, being a massive object. This should be taken into account for every object in the room, through special relativity, and antimatter traps should carefully be placed in corners.

hmj

Post by hmj » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:27 am

Is anyone really surprised?

Name 1 top engineer who uses Ableton for mixing.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:40 am

Name 5 top engineers and their software of choice. What would an engineer do for music made using softsynths and sampled audio that couldn't be done by the composer-producer?

hmj

Post by hmj » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:56 am

oddstep wrote:Name 5 top engineers and their software of choice. What would an engineer do for music made using softsynths and sampled audio that couldn't be done by the composer-producer?
I don't understand the question, are you being sarcastic? Look at what Bruce Swedian did for Michael Jackson, what Serban has done for Top 40 music, what Alan Parsons did for Pink Floyd. Mix engineers are artists in their own right, they can do a lot that a composer-producer can't do.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 am

No it was genuine. Ableton is often used for in the box production of music without external amps, microphones etc. Often by people who are pretty much engineering their own work. I might be wrong but isn't sound design, eqing etc all part of engineering?
So from that perspective - which is an overgeneralisation, I think it would be difficult to think of engineers that used Ableton Live... Because an engineer working with multitracked recordings made by someone else would have a completely different set of needs to the stereotyped Live user I have just described. Live would be the wrong tool. I don't work in a pro studio so this is conjecture. Engineers obviously have made a massive impact on recorded music.