Layering an Operator from a specific Drum Rack track?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
jsumners

Layering an Operator from a specific Drum Rack track?

Post by jsumners » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:25 am

Page 185 of the manual talks about layering MIDI tracks to augment an already playing track. I would like to use this sort of setup to augment the kicks from a Drum Rack kit. I am able to get input on my monitoring track if I select the master Post FX output on the Drum Rack, but not if I select the Post FX for the kick drum. Is this possible? Have I found a bug?

I have setup an example project that shows what I want to do. In this project, "Operator A" is monitoring the master Post FX output of the "Drum Kit" track and "Operator B" is monitor the Post FX for the kick. Thus, Operator A is firing on every note specified in the Drum Kit clip and Operator B isn't firing at all.

Muzik 4 Machines

Re: Layering an Operator from a specific Drum Rack track?

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 am

why not duplicate the midi track and remove all but the kick on the operator track?

or place the operator in a drum rack to limit received notes to the kick notes

jsumners

Re: Layering an Operator from a specific Drum Rack track?

Post by jsumners » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:34 am

In regard to your first suggestion, the idea is that I wouldn't have to double the work for every clip I create on the Drum Rack track. Clips 1, 2, 3, etc. on the Drum Rack track could all have different kick patterns and the Operator track would follow along no matter which clip is playing.

I will investigate your second suggestion as a viable alternative to what I want to do. But I would still like to know if my current method should be working.