Hot-Swapping Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kanuck

Hot-Swapping Live

Post by kanuck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:04 am

I was wondering how stable it was to hot swap my synth presets live. ableton synths and third party synths.

Thanks.

soundsliketree

Re: Hot-Swapping Live

Post by soundsliketree » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:17 pm

also curious to hear others' experiences. both pure synth and sample-loading presets.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:22 pm

I guess I find this question strange. Have you tried hot-swapping? The only issues I have ever had might be when a company of some VST or AU I am using does an update around the same time Live does. But rarely any issues.

Just try it.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm

I don't do live switching (barely ever). I'd be slightly tempted to put them all in a rack and use the chain selector if you have enough processing power. Then I can select between the right synth patches totally instantly and wouldn't need to find them.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Piplodocus wrote:I don't do live switching (barely ever). I'd be slightly tempted to put them all in a rack and use the chain selector if you have enough processing power. Then I can select between the right synth patches totally instantly and wouldn't need to find them.
I think thats what most people do. My main use for hot-swapping is if I have an some kind of FX rack, and it has midi mapped stuff, and I want to swap it out with something else but keep the mapping.

Sometimes I may go into my Operator folder and swap out one for another.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:26 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I guess I find this question strange. Have you tried hot-swapping? The only issues I have ever had might be when a company of some VST or AU I am using does an update around the same time Live does. But rarely any issues.

Just try it.
I have tried it. It's been working pretty smoothly so far but all my test runs have been pretty minimal. Usually most live crashes/glitches happen when clicking and dragging devices from the browser. I'm not sure how well hot-swapping related to this.
Piplodocus wrote:I don't do live switching (barely ever). I'd be slightly tempted to put them all in a rack and use the chain selector if you have enough processing power. Then I can select between the right synth patches totally instantly and wouldn't need to find them.
I wanted to do this but for some plugins such as guitar rig 5 whenever i change the tempo the tempo change goes to every single instance of guitar rig in the set. this shoots the cpu usage meter past 110% depending on how many instances i'm using. therefore i decided i shouldn't have mroe than 1 instance out at a time.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:29 pm

Hot swapping itself doesn't really have any issues. The main thing to look out for is the tiny pops/stutters in audio that sometimes comes when you load a new device.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:31 pm

is it not possible to activate Guitar rig presets using program change messages from Live's clips?

I always thought it was, but I have never tried it.

I do hot swap drumRacks I have made from time to time, and most of them are filled with 100's and 100's of samples, FX, etc.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:13 am

Komodovaran wrote:Hot swapping itself doesn't really have any issues. The main thing to look out for is the tiny pops/stutters in audio that sometimes comes when you load a new device.
pops/stutters for all the tracks? or just the track that i'm hot swapping in?
JuanSOLO wrote:is it not possible to activate Guitar rig presets using program change messages from Live's clips?

I always thought it was, but I have never tried it.

I do hot swap drumRacks I have made from time to time, and most of them are filled with 100's and 100's of samples, FX, etc.
you can, I'd just like some fx racks with third party effects and ableton effects.