Erosion without source sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shackelton

Erosion without source sound

Post by shackelton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi folks, Im new to Ableton with a simple question. I have an audio track with Erosion (noise) on it that's receiving audio from another audio track. How can I simply get the effected erosion or "noise" without the audio from the source in it as well? Thanks

JuanSOLO

Re: Erosion without source sound

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:24 pm

not sure you can, it's an audio effect thats dependent on audio coming in?

shackelton

Post by shackelton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Ya, not sure I described it very well. I have a track with Erosion (noisey) thats receiving audio from a track thats a looping bird call. The erosion track is creating a cool rhythmic sound almost like drum brush work. I'd love to get the bird call out of it and just isolate the brush work-just the effect without the source sound. Is that possible?

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Sounds like you just want it full wet, with no dry signal.

shackelton

Post by shackelton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Ya, I see what you mean. I needed to move the little ball around to max out the effect. Thanks you guys.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:19 pm

If you have Erosion on a separate Track or a Return Track and feed it the Audio, then create another Audio Track thats JUST receiving erosion, and record it, that would work for various dry/wet amounts. OR as stated above, turn up the dry/wet, or Amount in Erosion.

A cool trick for Erosion is putting 2 side by side. Group them to a Rack. Map Macro 1 to the Amount on both erosions. Map Macro 2, to the frequency of both erosions, but invert the range on one of them. It creates a nice texture that way.

shackelton

Post by shackelton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:42 pm

well, I guess Im not really there yet. When I go full wet you can still hear alittle of the source sound. So then I tried JuanSOLO's idea of adding another audio track that records the Erosion track. Maybe Im doing something wrong but it records it exactly as the erosion track which still has the source sound audible. I want to introduce the source sound later so this is still giving away the secret. Am I doing something wrong?

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Did you already try setting Erosion track's input to Birdcall PostFX, and turning Birdcall track's fader all the way down?

shackelton

Post by shackelton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Yes, Erosion's track is set to birdcalls post FX and the birdcalls faders are all the way down but part of the source is still audible.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:40 pm

I think you want something you cant have in this scenario.

shackelton

Post by shackelton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Maybe so. Thanks for helping though. Appreciate it.

florian_bl

Post by florian_bl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 am

To remove the source sound you can play it again at the same time on a different track. But on this track switch the phase 180 degrees with the utility plug-in. If you can get the volume of the source and the additional track exactly the same (and they are perfectly time aligned) they should cancel each other and disappear, leaving only the erosion fx.

It is like the null test, if maybe you know this. But this time you want to hear something after the phase cancellation happened.

subunit23

Post by subunit23 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:08 pm

i often do that and what florian said works really well. i do it slightly differently though but the principle stays the same.

create a rack with two lines and put erosion on line 1 and just an utility plugin with phase inverted on line 2, so it cancels out the feeding signal from the erosion plugin. so whatever the dry/wet level of the erosion plugin is, you'll get the corresponding erosion component cleant up being output from the rack.

i hope this help

shackelton

Post by shackelton » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Nice, these were great suggestions. I've got the source out at least good enough for my standards. Thanks folks!

florian_bl

Post by florian_bl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Good idea, subunit23. Having it all in one box is the nicer solution. One-stop shop ftw.!