Ableton + ?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
noland

Re: Ableton + ?!

Post by noland » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:24 am

Yes this is definitely possible.

But as the APC is rather expensive, wait till you buy it. A MPD32 with user script is a really powerful ableton controller. Give it a try and after a while you will see what device you need in addition to the MPD: motorized faders, expensive knobs, cheap knobs, no knobs at all, master controller with keys, master controller without keys, tablet control and these are just examples...
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

condra

Post by condra » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Launchpad plus LPD8

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:33 pm

MPD pads are crap in sensitivity when compared to others like Maschine, padkontrol, Triggerfinger...etc.

I would take a serious look at Maschine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WcbjOm1uhY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RC0lkJsto&t=01m58s

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:57 pm

kanuck wrote:I've seen artists such as Baths and Nosaj Thing perform and their sets have always been much more exciting than any apc40 jam I've seen.
I've seen both of them on multiple occasions, and you're right, they're both awesome.

Get ready to do a lot of custom mapping to use an MPD32 in a way that even sort of approximates how they use theirs.

Will (Baths) describes in minor detail his MPD32 setup in this video (note that he's making very little use of the velocity sensitivity of the pads in this example).

I happen to be casually acquainted with Jason (Nosaj)—by which I mean we have some mutual friends, and if we were to run into each other today there'd maybe be a 49% chance that he'd remember my face and a 15% chance he'd remember my name. One of those friends once described to me the details of his MPD mapping. Suffice to say, it's complicated, and even he needed help setting it up.

strode420

Post by strode420 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:06 pm

I would highly recommend the padKontrol. Pads are pretty sweet. If you have a Mac you can use farmpad which lets you script the controller however you want without much hassle.
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:25 pm

MPD32 is a killer with custom midi mapping.
I'll never resale mine even if I got apc40 and LP, that's just not the same thing.

You can really tweak the mpd32 from inside the configurations.
Not always as easy when midi map with apc40 and LP, erasing default use an even conflicting LP vs APC when you plug both.

sinik

Post by sinik » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:58 pm

i see there are a lot of options to hook up.

i think im going to have a mpd, seems too be the best for what i want.
but, are the pads really that bad?? if you get one of those from mpcstuff.com are they like the same as those on the mpc or is there still a huge difference?

thanks

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:02 pm

The pads aren't really the problem (although the MPD32 pads are thinner than the pads on some MPCs, and way thinner than the fat pads MPCstuff sells), it's pad sensitivity.

The underside of the pad doesn't make great contact with the sensor beneath, which has more to do with the construction of the device in general than anything to do with the thickness of the pads themselves. Thus the various solutions like pad corks, electrical tape, or stuff like this.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 am

Yeah, Akai MPC/MPD pads have a design flaw where there is a gap between the pads and the sensors which causes double/missed triggering. And even after doing a pad fix, the sensitivity comes nowhere close to what you get with the likes of Maschine and padkontrol. It's really night and day difference. Akai pads are only good for percussive triggering. Anything more expressive like triggering samples with long sustain in succession is going to cause sounds getting accidentally cut off with MPC/MPD pads.

DPMachine

Post by DPMachine » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:23 am

No doubt Maschine pads are better (I've never used padkontrol), but the MPD pads are pretty damn good after the upgrade. Sometimes they're TOO sensitive, so I end up turning down the threshold/sensitivity setting. The only gripe I have is that the corners don't register consistently. I probably won't buy another Akai product, especially having seen what they call the new generation of MPCs... but my MPD 32 has been great, and it's definitely better than "not that bad."

I am very very fond of Maschine, and I've been thinking of getting one, but it also costs twice as much as MPD 32 -- for good reason, but I'm just sayin.

cram2012

Post by cram2012 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:22 pm

The MPD 32 is a great product, but like others have mentioned you have upgrade pads or modify them with tape. I was so ticked off upon realizing this and returned mine. I have used MPCs in the past and the pads are flawless. I was really disappointed when discovering the design flaw.

The trigger finger is the best value in my opinion but limited knobs and no faders.
APC is solid but no drumming functionality as previous posts have mentioned.

If you get the MPD 32 invest in the pad upgrade, tape works, but I would imagine their effect degrades over time.

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:00 am

The trigger finger is the best value in my opinion but limited knobs and no faders.
...why is everybody saying that?

the trigger finger has 8 Knobs and 4 Faders

AND

the pads have very precise aftertouch!
(needs some programming to make best use of it though)

IMHO the best ergonomics you have, when you use it upside down, with the knobs on the bottom

On the down side: the drivers are somewhat shaky, may crash (not only) Live every once in a while

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 am

grunzlaut wrote:do not buy a mpd 18 or a mpk keyboard if you want drumpads. the pads on these controllers are total crap. i guess the mpd 32 should be way better.
pfff, i got an mpk49 and once you upgrade your pads they are seriously good, really responsive at that.
did you even try one, or are you just going by popular internet comments of the month?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:21 am

cram2012 wrote:The MPD 32 is a great product, but like others have mentioned you have upgrade pads or modify them with tape. I was so ticked off upon realizing this and returned mine. I have used MPCs in the past and the pads are flawless. I was really disappointed when discovering the design flaw.

APC is solid but no drumming functionality as previous posts have mentioned.

If you get the MPD 32 invest in the pad upgrade, tape works, but I would imagine their effect degrades over time.
you do realise that all you need to do is unscrew it, take off the cover and either puts some tape or some prebought rubber pads (got mne for 5 bucks off ebay) and screw it back on, right?

it takes literally 2 minutes.

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:38 pm

friend_kami wrote:
grunzlaut wrote: did you even try one?
yes, and they almost didn`t work at all. sure, there are some possibilities to fix that issue. but when i baught the mpk 25 i was practically a total noob and wanted to start making music and not disassemble my new purchases to void the warranty, so i returned it and got a nocturn, which is pretty crappy, too.

coming from a guitar playing background i really think its a shame of what poor built quality many midi controllers are. these things are meant to be music instruments and not plastic toys.

saying this I`m pretty happy with the apc 40 i got two weeks ago.