Mixmag - Greatest dance act of all time

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
amigo

Mixmag - Greatest dance act of all time

Post by amigo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 pm

http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/mixmag ... t-revealed

1. The Prodigy
2. Daft Punk
3. The Chemical Brothers
4. Faithless
5. Deadmau5
6. Plastikman
7. Underworld
8. Fatboy Slim
9. Orbital
10. Moby
11. Leftfield
12. Kraftwerk
13. Pendulum
14. Depeche Mode
15. Justice
16. Basement Jaxx
17. Groove Armada
18. The Shamen
19. Above & Beyond
20. The KLF

I am not surprised but it sickens me to see deadmouse placed above all of the others.

Piplodocus

Re: Mixmag - Greatest dance act of all time

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Depeche mode are a bit of a funny one as they're not entirely electronic. I think of them more as a band with synths in.

Also I don't rate Daft Punk/Justice that highly really at all. I'd put Leftfield well ahead of them. Leftism is one of the greatest electronic albums of all time. Also Kraftwerk are great from an originality point of view too.

So it depends entirely how you rate them; all their albums collectively, on their best work, how good they are live, etc, etc. From a live perspective then Prodigy, faithless and Moby are well up there. For dancing to a record in a club with eyes like saucers then Ebeneezer Goode by the Shamen is pretty unbeatable, or the KLF.

dokx

Post by dokx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Well the fanboys have spoken (Deadmau5?)

Like those Star Wars movies pushed in the IMDB-Top20 by all them nerds. ;)

amigo

Post by amigo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:44 pm

I would have Leftfield and Kraftwerk positioned higher on the list and remove deadmouse, Justice and Depeche Mode.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:43 pm

No DeeLite? :P
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Piplodocus wrote:Depeche mode are a bit of a funny one as they're not entirely electronic. I think of them more as a band with synths in.

Also I don't rate Daft Punk/Justice that highly really at all. I'd put Leftfield well ahead of them. Leftism is one of the greatest electronic albums of all time. Also Kraftwerk are great from an originality point of view too.
Depeche Mode is almost entirely electronic in the studio. I'd say calling them dance is pushing it.

Also the list is "Dance", not "General Electronica" so Daft Punk and Justice do fit on the list nicely.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 pm

I don't think Little Dragon would be a stretch on that list compared to others...
ImageImage

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:07 pm

dokx wrote:Well the fanboys have spoken (Deadmau5?)

Say what you like about him, he puts on a good show! The visuals are amazing and lets face it, house music will always get people dancing.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 pm

maybe things have changed but when I saw Basement Jaxx (~2000, DC) they could not even mix their own records together w/out trainwrecking.

...on the other hand, saw Plastikman @ Love Parade years back, in some late-night venue and a crowd of <100. Cozy & stellar!
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:54 pm

docprosper wrote:maybe things have changed but when I saw Basement Jaxx (~2000, DC) they could not even mix their own records together w/out trainwrecking.

So it was just a DJ set? I absolutely loath when producers use their production name just to DJ and get bodies in the door.

Haven’t seen them live, but I’ve heard they put on a great live show when they actually PERFORM their songs in band format….the way it should be.

And yeah, what you saw was 12 years ago. I would hope things improved.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Too bad the music hasn't:/ 3rd album it started morphing into the "cool younger sister" market imo, with some exceptions. First 2, classic and not getting enough love in this era.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 pm

shadx312 wrote:Too bad the music hasn't:/ 3rd album it started morphing into the "cool younger sister" market imo, with some exceptions. First 2, classic and not getting enough love in this era.

You talking about Basement Jaxx? I kind of put them in the same league as Prince. Completely unique and only really comparable to themselves. I know every album will have a couple songs that I love, some that are eh, and some that I can’t stand. But even with the songs I can’t stand they’re a really well produced effort of whatever it is they are experimenting with.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Yeah... I was more like, pretty much every song on the first couple albums rocked (sans interludes) then by the third it was like maybe half, then the 4th it was like, "ok this is getting into high-school dance team territory if they had good taste", though Scars is pretty tight. Did they have one after that?

But yes they always pimpin' on the layering.
ImageImage

k-toh

Post by k-toh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm a fan of the Mau5, but as with everything there's chaff with the wheat. For me though, lists like this always have a flaw in them that more recent/current stuff gets rated more highly simply because it's on the mind. Pretty much any list you want to put together of greatest this or best ever that, there'll always be a higher percentage of current protagonists in the list than true greats. Take Formula 1 racing drivers, or footballers - current drivers/players would probably make up a good 20-25% of the list.

Anyway, why isn't MC Hammer on this list? :lol:

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:48 pm

What about Fred and Ginger?