Hardware Mixers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sebastian

Hardware Mixers

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:42 am

Do any of youuse real mixers and whihc ones work well with Live's mixer when assigning the real knobs in MIDI or KEY mode or isthis not possible with a real mixer?

Or why bother gettinga real one if Liveshas one?

dunno

thanks
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

Mididreamer

Post by Mididreamer » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:50 am

Hi Sebastian,

Back from my vaction from South of France. Just testing Live 5, Beta 5 with FW-1884 Macke Control emulation (01X will do too :)) . And yes it behaves just like a mixer 8) . But if you have time on your hands e.g. UC- 33 you can assign the knobs and sliders any way you want with midi. I use X-Session for VST plug ins besides the FW-1884.

Regards
Live Sonar Cubase Project 5v2 Record/Reason FL Zero SL Oxygen8V2 NT1-A Rode Sennheiser HD590 FW-1884 System Q9550 8 GB 1066 Windows 7
Musictitbits http://www.mididreamer.com/documents/discography.html

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:50 am

i have a 32 chanel 8 bus mixer but i'm trying to abandon it (unplugged now)

you need it to monitor external efffects or to input what ever external sound source and have (guitar bass 909 303 whatever) with the out of your sound card going into the mixer and your synths + what ever efects all going into the mixer...then your signals will be in time and you can record out the mixer eveythings gravey.

if you loop hardware effects out your sound card and back in there is a delay due to ad-da converson so it only works with lower latency settings
same with plugging in any signal

and you computer will handle more automation of the mixer with higher hardware bufer setteing witch inturn puduce larger lag in the loop

catch 22 i'm trying to get around i really want to abandon the hardware mixer as I can control all of these elements with midi cntroler
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:00 am

well now im more confused im not sure itmixer is good or bad
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:23 am

yea i would like to know too cuz ive seen the DJM-1000 and its looks awesome

http://essencedumix.pioneer.fr/newsite/ ... M-1000.jpg

i just dont know if its a good idea to use it with live or is just good for vinyl and cds.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:09 am

Depends on soundcard, hardware and preferred way of working. Just gone mixerless here and so far it's suiting me very well. I don't use too much outboard in real time and the routing possibilities and functions in the RME Fireface mixer software plus the low latency makes life pretty easy. The Mackie 16ch I was using had turned out to be mostly acting as a HUGE volume knob for my monitors, and will now be replaced by this. If there was high-spec, 8 or 10ch mixer with a real bus with inserts about the size of the little Mackie 12 ch I'd be all over it. The Mackie Onyx 1220 on the other hand sounds great but it's just too big for a compact desktop rig, all that extra sace to fit the souncard I guess, which is a shame.
Anyways, apols for the semi-hijack

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:17 am

how do you set up your EQ effects in Live? one EQ3 in every track? EQ4s? wahat do you put in the master channel?

Pilgrim

Hardware Mixer?

Post by Pilgrim » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:02 pm

muthafunka wrote:Depends on soundcard, hardware and preferred way of working. Just gone mixerless here and so far it's suiting me very well. I don't use too much outboard in real time and the routing possibilities and functions in the RME Fireface mixer software plus the low latency makes life pretty easy. The Mackie 16ch I was using had turned out to be mostly acting as a HUGE volume knob for my monitors, and will now be replaced by this. If there was high-spec, 8 or 10ch mixer with a real bus with inserts about the size of the little Mackie 12 ch I'd be all over it. The Mackie Onyx 1220 on the other hand sounds great but it's just too big for a compact desktop rig, all that extra sace to fit the souncard I guess, which is a shame.
Anyways, apols for the semi-hijack
Not even a “semi-hijack” IMHO, MF. . .
Your opening statement sez it all, “Depends on soundcard, hardware and preferred way of working.”
The rest. . . I know what you’re saying, especially about the RME TotalMix. I have RME MultiFace with TotalMix and really love the routing/mixing with HUGE quality specs and great overhead and completely silent, even changing routing is silent.
Just wish the RME automation were more MIDI only and not HUI (which I do not have.)

I have your “dream” desktop mixer here, but a bit older and out of print. I use a Roland VM3100PRO 20 channel digital mixer. Nice small footprint.
It has R-BUS (Roland/M-Audio) for 8 tracks to ADAT (external Roland DIFAT needed). I think M-Audio still makes a PCI R-Bus card though.
But. . .. great COSM effects (8 mono) and easy/outrageous routing (8 Bus).
Converters are not the best (24/44.1 only) but my MultiFace (Your FireFace) are the absolute best for the money!!
I have two of these mixers/ADAT converters.
Sebastian has Aardvark (as good but out of print (?)) but has similar mixer as RME in its hardware. Automation I don’t know about.

The best mixing setup for me is the “one that I know how to use (and own <grin> )” first and then the effects come next.
Easing the load on CPU in computer is important and. . . and lots of DAW mixers are noisy and CPU draining.
I need another monitor screen on computer for the TotalMix, but. . .oh well. . .

I use effects wherever they are and easy to “knob”. Quality not biggest issue yet.
Keeping it all digital up to the monitor outs is really important,though (and to record track).
Check out the Roland “Studio-Pak” (recent has upgrade from VM3100PRO), may still be available somewhere. It’s a little bigger but has more features and is priced well.
(edit) I must add that I have absolutely no latency even with some of my wild routings.
Pilgrim

treysmith

Post by treysmith » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:17 pm

1884 here to

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:51 pm

Quite a few people I know use the Allen & Heath analog mixers, you need lots of I/) tho'
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's