how to make a dry/wet with return tracks?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
LaotzeSunHammer

how to make a dry/wet with return tracks?

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:20 am

I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to mute the dry signal when I send from an audio track to a return track.

In the return track, I've got my effects in one chain of a rack with the dry/wet set to 100% wet. In the rack I also have a 2nd chain with a Utility object, and both Phz-L and Phz-R are selected. To my logic, this should mute the incoming dry signal when I turn the Send knob on the audio track all the way up. This is not what happens, though. I can still hear the audio track at full volume and my effects are simply added on.

How do I configure this so that the audio track's signal is lowered as the return track is turned up? Any tips are greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Jay

eddiex

Re: how to make a dry/wet with return tracks?

Post by eddiex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:35 am

jay..all you have to do is: on the master track where it says "sends" you should have "pre" switch for every return you have....switch all of those (or the ones you want to be 100% wet) switch them all to "post".....you should now be able to turn your actual track all the way down and have a 100% wet signal on the return.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

LaotzeSunHammer

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:50 am

That didn't work :(

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:42 am

that should work....maybe just try putting the effects on a return track without the rack or the utility? then do what i posted....that should give you the option to turn your track down and only hear the return.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:43 am

Are trying to make the return 100% wet to add onto the feeding tracks, or are you trying to "divert" audio from dry tracks to the wet returns? If it's the latter, there are easier methods. Traditionally, returns are used to add a wet effect to the unaffected signal, not replace it altogether. To replace a track "in the mix" with an affected version, I use an audio track receiving input from the track in question. Then it's just fader automation to cut between the two. It can also be done using A/B and crossfading.

LaotzeSunHammer

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:49 pm

You are right! That's exactly what I'm trying to do, to 'divert' the audio from the dry to the wet track. The additional audio track with the effects is definitely the solution I was looking for. Thanks.

LaotzeSunHammer

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:59 pm

But then I guess the problem with this solution is that you can't create feedback the way you can with return tracks...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:43 pm

If you want feedback, create a return track that sends its audio to the fx track. Then from the fx channel, raise that particular send knob.

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:07 pm

And make it pre fader, so or you can use a return as you're doing, just make it pre-fader, ditch the phased reversed bits, and automate the source track's fader.
Last edited by Samaritan Sound on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaotzeSunHammer

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:09 pm

thank you guys, this is super helpful.