Poll: Who is sticking around and who is moving on?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ollyb303

Re: Poll: Who is sticking around and who is moving on?

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:46 pm

I fucking love Live 8. It's awesome and honestly I can do everything I need to do with it. More features might be nice and change the way I do things a little, but I'm not really that bothered.

I'll just keep making music using the tools I have, which are fine, then when Live 9 comes out, I'll probably upgrade. I'm in no hurry though, I'll take it when it's good and ready.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:50 pm

well said olly

quit bellyaching all you bellyachers, just be thankful you have what you have, and a cushy enough life that you have the time to use it

DRStudio

Post by DRStudio » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Still using Live Suite 8 and loving it. Just got the full version of Kontakt and Cineorch and i'm having a blast. Might get some orchestral libraries later on, but i do have everything i need to make music. Can't blame it on Live for my occasional lack of creativity.

Alfonso Muchacho

Post by Alfonso Muchacho » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:42 pm

I love it, I find no need to "upgrade" or change DAW. I'm happy with Live, very happy. I'd rather this DAW, that works than start experimenting with something else, wasting precious time that I could be using to make music. People get addicted to buying more and more new studio gear, I get that, but I really don't need to change my DAW with the seasons.

slugwared

Post by slugwared » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Alfonso Muchacho wrote:I love it, I find no need to "upgrade" or change DAW. I'm happy with Live, very happy. I'd rather this DAW, that works than start experimenting with something else, wasting precious time that I could be using to make music. People get addicted to buying more and more new studio gear, I get that, but I really don't need to change my DAW with the seasons.
same here! oppose consumerism by doing some music! live already has that great potential of music performance and experimentaion which 20 years ago no one could even dream of! my 20p.

strode420

Post by strode420 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 pm

I've already moved on to rewiring and only using Session view in Live for my drum breaks, with Reaper taking over the tasks of Arrange view and all other non-percussion sounds.

But that doesn't have anything to do with new versions not being released, it's just because i prefer Reaper as a sequencer, but there's some stuff i do in Live that is impossible in any other DAW and there's no way i could give that up.
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

friend_kami

Re: Poll: Who has moved on?

Post by friend_kami » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
gorillaknuckles wrote:I just want something that doesn't get in the way of me being creative.
I feel the same way about an OS. I just want to turn on the computer, click the icon for a program and use it.
i love computers but holyshit man, if they could do what you just described than i'd be in heaven. i love to tinker with my computers but when i make music i just want to turn it on and everything is there instantly and ready to use. surely you could hack your shell (running windows then) into live itself, but you'd still have the hassle of other stuff such as unsupported midi controllers, drivers and shit like that, not to mention retarded out of memory bugs with blank sets (seriously?).

or you could go mac and please the maccrowd, until you realise that that crowd is also split into two camps, those that love it and those that have problems with it and you realise that you should guy a portable recorder, a guitar pedal and re-string your old ibanez.

love computers. love electronic smusic. but fuck man, i hate computers. unstable piece of shits.

also, ontopic: i have to move on because i am now working with scoring and doing lots of sound-design and live is incredibly bad for that, save for live racks. also, everything remotely interesting with live these days is just max for live and i don't have that, nor do i fancy buying it simply because it's too expensive for me to justify paying that much for features that should be in there to begin with and some other extra candy. i like toys, but not when they're 1.4k swedish.

comurit

Post by comurit » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:41 pm

:twisted: -1 for eviL 8

Tone Deft

Re: Poll: Who has moved on?

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 pm

friend_kami wrote:i love to tinker with my computers
well there's your problem. Image I don't know you personally but some of the people I've known to claim to 'have IT as a hobby' are the biggest idgits when it comes to using them. (I know you're not an idgit.) I get my geek on at work and never want to tinker with a computer when I get home. I hit the spacebar, computer wakes up, I hit Live in the task bar (already running) hit play on the APC and pick up where I left off. on a PC with Live 8. (haters gonna hate!)

I've had my Dell desktop for a few years, the only problem I've had was the !@#$%ing McAfee virus software blue screening my box. switch to Avast, problem fixed.

YMMV
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 pm

simmerdown wrote:well said olly

quit bellyaching all you bellyachers, just be thankful you have what you have, and a cushy enough life that you have the time to use it
that's generally a good idea..

but personally ...I didn't have the timeto deal with random crashes..
that time was supposed to be for having fun and being creative..
(this is me being naive...)
and that my friend... is time that can't be measured in $$
(Infinitesimal $$$)
:mrgreen:

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:29 pm

i can count my crashes on one hand...but i purposefully keep things simple, and my lappy has guts

i can understand how lots of crashes would be very annoying, just haven't had that experience, on the contrary, knock knock

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 pm

hehe..nice to hear man!
I'll stop whining for now I guess..

gorillaknuckles

Post by gorillaknuckles » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:23 am

Thats probably a big dividing factor here between the whingers and the shut ups. The crashes that is.

One hand? In my dreams. I can rack up one hand per session, easy. But I don't keep things simple, I like a lot going on.

sundog

Post by sundog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:48 pm

sticking around mostly because times are tight

if I'm gonna go spend $500 on music gear, I'd rather spend it on a MiniBrute, guitar stuff or a new audio interface, etc etc

just being patient for now & learning how to use the current tools I already have to the max

I've already spent enough on Live as a DAW to bother putting out cash for another

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 pm

gorillaknuckles wrote:Thats probably a big dividing factor here between the whingers and the shut ups. The crashes that is.

One hand? In my dreams. I can rack up one hand per session, easy. But I don't keep things simple, I like a lot going on.
so are you saying you get a cpu spike and it crashes