Is the Lemur iOS app useless with Live without Max4Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moreofmorris

Is the Lemur iOS app useless with Live without Max4Live?

Post by moreofmorris » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello.

I'm getting quite interested in the Lemur iOS app and want to use it with Ableton Live. It's a lot of money to shell out, so was curious to know how useful it is if I don't have Max4Live? I looked through the Lemur iOS User Library and it seems a lot of the stuff requires you to have Max4Live.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks, James

S4racen

Re: Is the Lemur iOS app useless with Live without Max4Live?

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Mu uses Max4Live and is a fully integrated control over Live, however you can use Lemur to send Midi so you dont absolutely need it, it's just worth it for nextlevelness...

Cheers
D

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. So you would recommend the software? Do you use it a lot or is just a bit of a fad in the studio?

Sorry for all the questions, like I say, it's quite expensive so want to make the right choice.

You say Lemur can send MIDI out. So apart from my iPad, my Macbook Pro with Live and the Lemur iOS software on the iPad, I don't need anything else to control faders/pots/sends? Is there any of that other software that needs to sit between Lemur and Live for them to talk to each other?

Was also curious if Lemur worked in something like the HUI mode or similar, so it can be a proper control surface in Live with minimum fuss?

Sorry for all the questions! Maybe this forum isn't the best to ask these questions?!

Thanks, James

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:13 pm

There's a Lemur server app that opens to do the communication if i remember that installs a number of midi ports...

I use mine with the bridge as i go between using vinyl in serato with an APC40 and where space is tight replacing this with the Ipad, i especially like it for the names on the clips element which means i dont have to have the serato screen showing the Ableton view...

I've got Touchable as well but i'm not a producer so i've found it's simply better for my needs... that said i am using the Max4Live Mu device so can't comment on what it'd be like with just MIDI, i imagine you'd lose the clip names etc..

Cheers
D

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:13 pm

I can sort of comment. But I'm not a live performer. I produce tracks. Good ole mouse clicking works for me. I use MU and TouchAble for the initial sketch of my arrangement. It's a lot of fun to jam out the arrangement from session view. It's spontaneous and kind of musical. Once that's done, I find myself reaching for the mouse and key commands. Mu and TouchAble take a backseat at that point. I spend more time editing with the mouse than sketching with the ios app.

It is a whole heck of a lot of fun though
Ableton | Elektron

Music

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks for replying.

So maybe TouchAble is a better option for me? Saves me investing in Max4Live and Lemur?

Firstly, I'm after a decent mixing interface. I want to mix my levels, my pans, my sends without using a mouse (just never feels right to me). I'd like some grid control too to start a track off, like you said.

...would TouchAble be better for that?

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 pm

littlejim84 wrote:
...would TouchAble be better for that?
I don't know about better, but TouchAble would surpass those needs.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

bishbo2000

Post by bishbo2000 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:46 am

I have recently bought the Lemur app for my iPad. i must say that i find myself spending a hellova lot of time scratching my head trying to figure how to program the thing. Dont expect plug and play.

Unless you can get your head around writing script then go for the more plug and play packages out there, maybe Griid or Touchable.

It can do amazing things and at the end of it I will have a custom controller that does (i hope) exactly what i want it to, but at the moment i am rather pissed with it.

oh and no you don't need M4L for it.....but it would save you having to program the thing yourself if you could run Mu.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 pm

i recently got lemur for my shitty cheapass iphone and the difference between lemur and touchable is immense, the scripting alone is lemur is so worth it.

fyi: you don't need max for live to use lemur, but you do need it if you are to use Mu.
check out the lemur forums and the liine forums (and library) for tutorials, templates and whatnots to get you started. the scripting is not that hard either. :)

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:35 pm

I had touchable and ummmmed and arrred about paying for lemur. I don't have max for live either (although I am trying out the trial at the mo) but for me I wanted lemur for the physics and for making generative midi stuff. So far its amazing. Well worth the money in my opinion limited though it may be.

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies dudes. Definitely tempted now!