Poll: Who is sticking around and who is moving on?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oddstep

Re: Poll: Who is sticking around and who is moving on?

Post by oddstep » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:28 pm

I made the same decision. I started writing a long format reply and then realised that it didn't really matter what I thought or what he thought.... saying more than "you are wrong" would have been a waste of my time. 3 dot writes in stanzas and its better than what I would have said.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:31 am

djadonis206 wrote:We can run some multi variate regression analysis on who is more or less likely to 'move on' from Live

Y being the dependent variable. The dummy variable L represents whether you own Live or not. M represents the number of months you have owned Live. T represents the number of tracks you have produced with Live. B represents a dummy variable as to whether you have a beard or not. E represents the error term. Basically, if you own Live and have a beard, the more tracks you've produced and years you've owned Live increases the probability that you will not 'move on' from Live. However, as you produce more tracks you may run into limitation which encourage you to seek out other DAWs.

So our regression equation would start off looking something like this.

Y = (L(x) B(x) (-M(x) - T(x))) + e

My regression equation could be a little off and we're assuming this is a linear equation. If I was to go into it, I don't think this would be a linear equation because the longer you've owned Live the less likely you're going to 'move on'. However, as you grow older and wiser with Live you're probably more likely to try other programs and there is some probability you'll find something interesting and try that for a while.

There are probably a whole host of other factors we should control for but this is a start.

BTW - I don't trust people with beards, they have something to hide

This would be an interesting analysis actually. I wish I paid attention in my econometrics course. Curious
so, did you just try to mathematically prove that no female uses live?
if so, you kinda suck at both math and the internet.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 am

candy warlos wrote:I'll keep using Live as long as there's nothing really better and easier to use out there.
But I won't buy any other Ableton product ever, unless upgrade to Live 9 is $1,99 or something…(Basically, I already paid upgrades from 5 to 7 to 8 just for minor improvements and gadgets that weren't really worth the money…)
pretty sure you're lying. i mean, who doesn't want to pay 100+ bucks for features that will be withdrawn?
it's like christmas.

friend_kami

Re: Poll: Who has moved on?

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 am

Tone Deft wrote:
friend_kami wrote:i love to tinker with my computers
well there's your problem. Image I don't know you personally but some of the people I've known to claim to 'have IT as a hobby' are the biggest idgits when it comes to using them. (I know you're not an idgit.) I get my geek on at work and never want to tinker with a computer when I get home. I hit the spacebar, computer wakes up, I hit Live in the task bar (already running) hit play on the APC and pick up where I left off. on a PC with Live 8. (haters gonna hate!)

I've had my Dell desktop for a few years, the only problem I've had was the !@#$%ing McAfee virus software blue screening my box. switch to Avast, problem fixed.

YMMV
well. good for you then.
i tinker with computer. i don't have IT as a hobby. i have computers as a hobby. i've had a computer almost my entire sentient life and ive been doing electronic music for the past 15 years. i know my computer and trust me: the problems i have with live is not because i tinker with my computer, it's because live is shit.

or let me rephrase that for you: live is great unless you work with more than 60 tracks and some video sources.
when you do live lags up, crashes, hangs, pauses mid-action, crashes some more and is generally just a big pain in the ass to work with.

nothing to do with my computer because my computer is perfectly fine and me, all my other software and all the benchmarks and tests i've done tends to agree with that sentiment.
it's live. it's not made for working with big projects. take a look around these forums and you'll see.

Mixikyr

Post by Mixikyr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:05 am

Deleted post.
Last edited by Mixikyr on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Mixikyr wrote:+1

I do wish there are other alternatives to live performance that are as powerful as Ableton, but there is none. So I will be here, always.

Bitwig is coming...

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:19 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Facial hair on men is fucking disgusting.

:x
But facial hair on women is very sexy!

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm

If BitWig is cheap, I may check it out over upgrading my copy of Live 7, but it probably won't be, so I'll stick around til at least Live 9 to see what's coming up. I know for a fact that I am not even REMOTELY using Live to its full potential, so there's way more for me to unlock.

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:39 pm

I think this question really depends on Live 9 and I think we all know this. The idea of moving to another DAW is not an option because Live does special things that I've gotten used to, I've invested heavily in the whole idea of Ableton Live and have done for many years... this is why this whole Live 9 situation is so frustrating, I'm basically locked into a DAW that doesn't perform as well as I'd like it to, but I don't have another option YET. If Bitwig does what Live does and more, then it makes sense to consider it, because even though the product doesn't actually exist yet, it does seem like the first viable alternative to Ableton... so yeah, if Ableton doesn't catch up big time, then I'm going to assume Bitwig will move faster with their development and it'll be a transition to Bitwig over a few years as Ableton slowly sinks....

It's very sad that in all this time, the money spent and all the fine tuning I've done to many machines, I still have never felt comfortable doing any actual Live work with Ableton LIVE, I've had epic Ableton meltdowns on stage, and it's a terrible feeling, and that spoils the whole concept for me.... there are so many stand out features that would greatly improve my workflow in Live, but I really want to see a completely new Ableton core, crash proof as possible, makes the most of my computer power (Ableton is a dog compared to every other major DAW), stupid stuff like the lack of 64 bit support at this stage... would love improvements to the audio engine, they don't have to defend anything about summing or anything like that.... the deafening silence from Ableton has absolutely caused a crisis of confidence between the company and it's users, I'm not going to forget that...

The way I see it though, honestly, Ableton 9 doesn't have to do anything too radical to get up to speed, it's just annoying that they haven't done it yet and I've become so used to 2 steps forward, 1 step back with every update, even every beta seems to introduce some new problem and it's just over the top now... this is a big deal too, because how we can have confidence in Live 9 when they can't even fix Live 8 after all this time... on the other hand, it's been a long time, there has to be some major development going on, if Live 9 doesn't represent a major improvement in that time then I've got to say Ableton looks pretty doomed. I'm hopeful though.... I actually don't want to jump to Bitwig, I want Live 9 to be announced immediately and it to be the product it always should've been. To me ableton is a beautiful design and well thought out features, but with an absolutely outdated/bloated core.... I'm more concerned about this rewrite than new features.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:53 pm

I remember someone, a while back, theorized that the odd-numbered releases tend to focus on cleaning up the feature set and stabilizing things, whereas the even-numbered releases focus on new features (sometimes to the detriment of the whole product).

It should be interesting to see what Live 9 does. I have a lot invested in Live right now, so the idea of moving platforms is not at ALL appealing to me.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:02 pm

Punky921 wrote:I have a lot invested in Live right now, so the idea of moving platforms is not at ALL appealing to me.
That's how avid gets ya for life!

I do agree that with time and other controllers (the bridge) makes it very hard to get away from Live.

That being said I'm not going to stick around if there is a better alternative. Until we see what bitwig and NI have in store for the future, i'll be sticking with live
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 pm

I will be trying bitwig and using Live, and a few years into that who knows.

I dont really take sides, or feel victimized by software companies.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:45 pm

or feel victimized by software companies.
makes me wonder how long it will be until someone sues a company for the stress of having to learn a new/different program...like if a new powerpoint version had a radical facelift or something.
ImageImage

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:59 pm

shadx312 wrote:
or feel victimized by software companies.
makes me wonder how long it will be until someone sues a company for the stress of having to learn a new/different program...like if a new powerpoint version had a radical facelift or something.
funny, I didn't think of that. I'm sure many uh forum members have contemplated it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:55 am

JuanSOLO wrote:I will be trying bitwig and using Live, and a few years into that who knows.

I dont really take sides, or feel victimized by software companies.
I agree, there are however companies that are just easier to support, the smaller ones tend to have a better public relations approach.
I would take sides with U-He, Ohm Force, Ableton, and Camel Audio over Apple, NI, Waves, or Digidesign. Though I can't say that I only use the former. Bitwig probably fall into the former, at least that's how they're marketing themselves.