Day jobs...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ze2be

Re: Day jobs...

Post by ze2be » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 am

8O wrote:Senior Mine Shaft Engineer. Just finished this 2 year Berlin project connecting Schönhauser Allee to Schwedterstrasse.
Wow, thats different! Are you working on tunnels?

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:14 am

I'm a computer graphics programmer for feature film effects. I used to be an "artist" (I don't consider it artistic to pump out stuff at a clients request; rather, it's an artisanal skill), switched to programming, and now mainly write plugins called "shaders".

I've been playing bass for 25 years. Music is a release, keeps me happy - though I have to admit I have guilty pangs about it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:42 am

Current occupation is in my signature, before that I was a bio-tech engineer/researcher for 10 years.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:24 am

just became a registered nurse....doing vaccinations at state prisons
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:30 am

Mint Invader wrote:Right on, in the same boat being a CS student... granted its just VB in community college. But gotta start somewhere before I play with python.
http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=36

i find this guy teaches really well.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:38 am

evaodland wrote:Oracle DBA

(I hate technology....I am trapped...seduced by money and the desire for stupid electronic things that go bloop and bleep....music is a hobby...I cant quit doing....)

You CS kids....quit now...before it is too late...just because it is interesting and you are good at it is not a reason to make a career of dealing with the crap I had to deal with....the sheer terror of hardware failures, idiotic users and crazed "I can do anything I want programmers" managed by displaced, mentally deficient managers.

Quit now....go to the beach, sell t-shirts, sling cocktails...you will be immeasurably happier.
thanks for the heads up. I'm on the fence between that and medicine. I'm planning to do a few internships before graduating to make sure I really want to do this.

To all the other CS students I'd highly recommend doing at least 1 internship before graduating.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 am

Union Painter for years, now self employed. It pays for shit, but I deal with one customer at a time, for a couple weeks mostly if that, then it's on to the next.
So low income, but low stress, a customer can only drive me nuts for a week or so, and honestly the bad ones are much rarer when you decide who a customer is and how your interrelation with them will go. Mental health > money. I have no idea how people put up with office jobs or cashiering in retail?

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 am

Machinesworking wrote:Union Painter for years, now self employed. It pays for shit, but I deal with one customer at a time, for a couple weeks mostly if that, then it's on to the next.
So low income, but low stress, a customer can only drive me nuts for a week or so, and honestly the bad ones are much rarer when you decide who a customer is and how your interrelation with them will go. Mental health > money. I have no idea how people put up with office jobs or cashiering in retail?
I hear you, I painted for 15 years for that reason. I was silly, I painted everything from houses to cats, I even painted my toe nails a few times. Dunn Edward's, Pratt and Lambert, Benjamin Moore FTW
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:48 am

By day: Sysadmin for a large retailer
By night: Studying part time for a degree in IT management*
By late night/weekend: I do 'tech' for a startup

It's worth noting that I checked in to A&E last week with chest/arm pains, brought on by stress/anxiety. Don't overload yourselves, people. Turns out I'm medically fine but have a tendency towards anxiety. Also it's taken this to make me realise I don't want to do a degree (at least not this degree, at this time).

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Manwhore.
No...I am 3phase!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:53 pm

I've found the best way to be happy in a career is to ignore meeting requests, ignore crazy client requests, do what is actually correct regardless of what was asked for. Oddly this strategy has not adversely affected my income. I recommend it.

career advisors like to draw a venn diagram of 3 areas, aptitude, money, desire like this

That venn triangle is inaccurate, it's actually a pyramid and the all-important invisible sphere which rests on top is titled "asshats".
All the aptitude, money and desire in the world can be crushed by a giant asshattery weighing down on you.

What seems like an excellent job can be turned to raw pain by timid and unimaginative management, or wrong-headed clients. Both groups ignore advice and set you working on your worst nightmare, and then use the blame-thrower when it fails.

do not care too much, otherwise the asshats will get you.

jstilger

Post by jstilger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:12 pm

I am a geologist for an environmental consulting company. We search for contamination on mostly commercial and industrial site and then remediation of the soil and groundwater.
Last edited by jstilger on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton Live 8 Suite boxed | APC 40 | Logic Studio 8 | MBP 2.16ghz | iPad | Launchpad | NI Audio Kontrol 1 | Axiom 25 | KRK Rockit 5's

garyd7

Post by garyd7 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:11 pm

Hotel receptionist and full time electronic & electrical enginerring student.

No bad.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 pm

I teach school leavers sound engineering and production and, most of the time, I love. Sure as hell beats the shift work at the pharmaceutical factory that I did for years.

The most fun I ever had working was as kitchen staff and waiting at a pizza restaurant for 1.65 an hour in 1993.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm a blood spatter analyst for Miami PD by day…
Unsound Designer