Recording Automation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
justchris86

Recording Automation

Post by justchris86 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:39 pm

This may be a newbie question or something that has been covered in previous threads. if so I apologize in advance.

I was wondering if there is away to record the automation in clip view? I have found out how to record the automation I do (IE Filter envelope amount) once everything is laid out in arrangement view no problem. But is there away to have that automation in the individual clips? Does that make sense?

Thanks guys!
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

kanuck

Re: Recording Automation

Post by kanuck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 pm

nope, it's not possible. A lot of people are angry at this fact i personally don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. I'm sure direct session view automation would be convenient.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 pm

kanuck wrote: don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. .
because maybe you work in arrange, but for automaters working in session the copy paste thing is totally insane in daily basis loose
of time. It takes 10x more time and is totally anti natural music process, that's why there are about 53442235 newbies with 10 posts that find that stangeexactly like me or other 5 or more years ago found that s____p design choice 'strange'. the logic would be to sketch,tweak'n rec in session, then all can be bounced to arrange, moded, and why not back in session.. but no.
but hell yeah i do feel they will sort it atlast magically ouut on build 9, and that day will be a national day in every countries.

go head and try to rec 10 tracks, with 50 clips of 10 automations and try to copy that back to session.
tell me if it's not that a trouble, im not rude but i can't let you say that ..

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 pm

kanuck wrote:nope, it's not possible. A lot of people are angry at this fact i personally don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. I'm sure direct session view automation would be convenient.
I may have opened a can of worms. OOOPS

it's not that difficult. Infact I find it cleaner that way.
Thanks!
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:58 am

justchris86 wrote:
kanuck wrote:nope, it's not possible. A lot of people are angry at this fact i personally don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. I'm sure direct session view automation would be convenient.
I may have opened a can of worms. OOOPS

it's not that difficult. Infact I find it cleaner that way.
Thanks!
haha don't worry about it there are threads that go on to at least 10 pages with users arguing about this topic. I guess for my workflow it's not that limiting. But everyone uses Live differently.

jasper

Post by jasper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:09 am

Go ahead and try copying those automated clips into the Session view and then tell me if you still see no problem:

The automation does not copy does not work AT ALL from the Clips.
Want to record Automation? you're stuck in Arrangement view.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:11 am

jasper wrote:
Go ahead and try copying those automated clips into the Session view and then tell me if you still see no problem:

The automation does not copy does not work AT ALL from the Clips.
Want to record Automation? you're stuck in Arrangement view.

You're definitely right in correcting the guy, but I think it's worth noting that there are some workarounds in Session view. MIDI CC's can be recorded as clip automation, so in the case of many VST's you can assign a certain control to the modwheel (within the VST, that is), then record the modwheel modulation in the clip. I do that all the time for quick+easy automation of a single parameter I badly needed automated in a clip. Obviously not an overall solution, but worth knowing it's there as an option.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

As mholloway said you can record clip automation from third-party plugins which have their own midi map function, because Live records Control Changes.
If you have M4L, I've just finished a device that let you do the same thing with any plugins, Live's one included.
Details and download HERE

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:42 pm

This is one of the things that drives me crazy about Live, and I would really like to see, soon.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 pm

agreed. if it's not implemented in Live 9 I am gonna have foul thoughts about the Abes.

It's one feature request that would upgrade workflow and performance in MAJOR ways. But until then, I will definitely be giving Valiumdupeuple's device a go.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Bitwig listens. Just saying. :P

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 pm

yeah, and they did the right thing that deserve so much respect from me, at last they will free us of that ,;b:n issue.

Jimbabwae

Post by Jimbabwae » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:33 am

Need max4live for this new divice but it works a treat:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=1036

Made by Crampe.. So many thanks to him!

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Hey people !
Due to a little error, the 4th knob on the ClipAutomation device didn't control the parameter it was attached to.
If you didn't solve the problem by yourself, I've update the device.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Hey!
I've post a new version of my ClipAutomation. It's the same one but with the addition of a encoders LED feedback function. (Mac only)

Download and details HERE