Making a clip with pick-up notes.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
spiderdan

Making a clip with pick-up notes.

Post by spiderdan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi. I'm coming from Logic to Live 8. A lot of the loops I make often come in before the one. Is there a straightforward way to make clips that, say, start and end on the four? This is killing me. I've only come across some complicated work arounds.

Also is there an easy way to make clips for "session" in the "arrangement view" ?

Thank you!

- D
iMac OSX 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Apogee Ensemble

patrickbyrd

Re: Making a clip with pick-up notes.

Post by patrickbyrd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:30 am

This has also stumped me. Would love to hear a simple solution, bump for interest!

twustyles

Post by twustyles » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 am

+1

HorusProject

Post by HorusProject » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:34 am

the only way I can think of is say you want a 4 bar loop but the is one beat before the loop that is different

create a clip that is 5 beats long.

use loop braces to loop the last 4beats (eg postition 1.2 - 2.2) beats in the clip

make sure the starting point of the clip is at 1.1

if u use this in session view the clip launch quantisation must be adjusted (in this example it should be set to 1/4 in order to get that leading note in at the end of the bar otherwise the timing of the clip will be off.)

hope this helps
Kaon Flux

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 am

Alternatively, you can also make it a 2 bar loop, use an envelope to mute the stuff before the pickup notes, and launch it a bar early.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:29 am

^^ Like the two posts above.

You can move the clip play head arround in the loop, and you can even put it before the audio or midi signal starts. Just make shure to set clip quantize corectly.

kenw

Post by kenw » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi ...

I've just encountered this problem myself !!

I think the solutions offered above will fix the problem for playback/performance and I take it that the pre-roll in arrangement view is just a count-in ?

The trouble is that it would be really useful if I could record session view audio clips that have a pickup - e.g. if it occurs at the start f the song - easiest way would be to set the clip start and loop starts to different points - loops start to 1.1.1 and the clip start to -1.3.1 - for a one beat pick up - I notice that I can do this for a midi clip because you can create an empty midi clip and then change the start/end/loop parameters before you record - can't see any way of doing it for audio clips !! I think it would be useful to be able to do this