Conflict with APC 40 + S4 Midi using Ableton AND Traktor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
audiosophy

Conflict with APC 40 + S4 Midi using Ableton AND Traktor

Post by audiosophy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 pm

I've got a problem with my setup. I've been using ableton and apc-40 for my live set for a couple of years now - recording everything on the fly. I have just been using the APC-40 in its default setting and that all works a charm. I have now bought an S4 and traktor for DJing to tunes, a little bit of scratching but I want to keep the apc40 and ableton for recording live bits over the top. But I have a problem as I would like the APC40 only to control ableton and the S4 only to control traktor - they are linked through traktor sending a midi clock to ableton.

At the moment, when I move the device control encoders on the apc-40 - it causes havoc in traktor - e.g. encoder 1 changes the gain on deck a!

How can I route it so that the APC40 only controls ableton and the S4 only controls traktor?

Thanks!

myxomat0515

Re: Conflict with APC 40 + S4 Midi using Ableton AND Traktor

Post by myxomat0515 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Check your midi controller settings in traktor and disable the app maybe... Been using 2 launchpads and a uc33 with live and an s4 for traktor with no problems.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:24 pm

If manually assigning knobs/sliders with the APC40 it will switch to utilizing MIDI Channels 1-9 for those particular encoders. Until then it will function in the background (I think using its own handshake) and will likely not conflict with anything.

I've only used the S4 a handful of times, but I would wager that this is what is causing the conflict. If you can move you S4 controller to MIDI channel 10 or above this will likely sort out your issue.

Here is a diagram of how things get assigned on the APC40 when you manually assign something:

http://www.live-laptops.com/Blog/softwa ... for-apc40/

audiosophy

Post by audiosophy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for your help guys. Actually I've managed to sort it - I hadn't realised that I had midi mapping for an iphone app I was using to control traktor still in the controller list. This is what was interpreting the APC40 messages. Great!