synthesize a kickdrum with operator

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
olivr

synthesize a kickdrum with operator

Post by olivr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:21 pm

hey there!! im just interested in sound designing, and i dont wanna use samples. but when i try to synthesize a kick drum with operator i have two serious problem. 1. the annoying click @ the impact.. 2. the kick's body is not enough "strong", punchy..
i don't think the problem with the pitching..
thanks in advance:
olivr

mahkitah

Re: synthesize a kickdrum with operator

Post by mahkitah » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 pm

The envelopes in operator are not quick enough to synthesize powerfull kickdrums.
You'll need dedicated drumsynths for that. (my favourites are Waldorf Attack and ISM BazzISM2)
You can also make a kick more powerfull with a good compressor, but don't expect wonders from that. "you can't polish a turd"

you can get rid of the click at the start by raising the attack time a little.

But most important: if you're serious about programming your own kicks, get a good drumsynth.

olivr

Post by olivr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 pm

thank u so much for your reply!! i will try it today!! but there are no way to do this in operator..?

mahkitah

Post by mahkitah » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 am

I found this tutorial vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkz9rZyQ ... re=related

from the sound on a youtube video you can't judge if he really gets 'kick to the chest' drums, but he seems to get decent results.
It's in Spanish, but all the important info is shown on screen in English.

Also try googling 'infected kickdrum tutorial'. This is a way of making a kick in a wave editor.
The ISM BazzISM plugin is based on this method.

i9

Post by i9 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

I came across this tutorial for creating a kick using Operator. I tried it out and liked the results, although I think it may work better as an underlying layer of a kick to add more "oomph" . So maybe using a sample or instrument to synthesize another kick sound to go on top would help give the kick more character.

http://abletonlivetutorials.com/index.p ... h&Itemid=3

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Very important tip for drums on Operator:

For each available envelope (oscs, filter, pitch, lfo) is a loop function for those envelopes. But in the drops down is also one shot. That makes it so the duration of a key press is ignored. It always repeats the appropriate duration regardless of note length. This is very very helpful, otherwise you would be wrestling with Sustain and Release crap.

If operator doesn't seem "quick" enough there is a speed knob...

Many bass drums are layers of a bottom, mid, and a tap or click or whatever. You can use that concept on Operator quite easily. The pitch mod is almost always a necessity. once you have one shot mode, find the frequency you want and bounce some sines at that freq. you can also use other shapes.

A fun trick I do sometimes is use white noise and a band pass filter. If you push the res high, and tweak the Envelope to sweep fast, you get a zap. Faster and you get a click. If your cutoff frequency is at a desirable bass tone, you have a nice boomy kick.

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:30 am

And don't forget you can record yourself whacking anything to get a beater sound you like.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 am

yur2die4 wrote:Very important tip for drums on Operator:

For each available envelope (oscs, filter, pitch, lfo) is a loop function for those envelopes. But in the drops down is also one shot. That makes it so the duration of a key press is ignored. It always repeats the appropriate duration regardless of note length. This is very very helpful, otherwise you would be wrestling with Sustain and Release crap.

Many bass drums are layers of a bottom, mid, and a tap or click or whatever. You can use that concept on Operator quite easily. The pitch mod is almost always a necessity. once you have one shot mode, find the frequency you want and bounce some sines at that freq. you can also use other shapes.

A fun trick I do sometimes is use white noise and a band pass filter. If you push the res high, and tweak the Envelope to sweep fast, you get a zap. Faster and you get a click. If your cutoff frequency is at a desirable bass tone, you have a nice boomy kick.
Great tips there, thanks! :)

olivr

Post by olivr » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:27 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Very important tip for drums on Operator:

thank u so much!!! but wheres the speed knob @ the operator?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Bottom right section. 'Time'