Does Live 8 Support Sysex ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Re: Does Live 8 Support Sysex ???

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Sysex was never meant for sending fader data so Roland were idiots for doing it that way. I used to program my own environment objects in Logic... don't really miss it.
I have an ESQ-1 and and SQ-80 (really old hybrid analogue/digital synths) they can use modwheel, aftertouch and 1 freely assignable conroller as modulation sources. Also I have a small modular and a Doepfer CV to gate, I can assign controllers to VCs for modulating stuff. If you want to record know movements just record it to hard disk as audio while you tweak...

stiefelmusik

Post by stiefelmusik » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:29 pm

True, it was a poor design decision by Roland to use sysex for the faders on devices like the PG-300. And there are, as you pointed out, numerous workarounds for using older gear with Live without the need for sysex. One of the synths I use most often for my recordings, namely a Roland Jupiter-4, doesn't even have MIDI, let alone sysex, and you won't hear me complain !!

But I still fail to understand why the designers at Ableton have chosen not to implement sysex support in a piece of software designed to produce music on a computer. I'm still bummed about it, and I will continue to request this feature.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:33 pm

I wonder if max4Live will be able to pass sysex. from what I understand max4Live lives inside Live, if data were to come into a midi track that has a max4Live object in it, will it see sysex? surely we can use virtual midi ports to get around Live but that's not a complete solution.

I imagine sysex support would require an expansion of the data types in Live, might be a bit of a code rip up that's not quite worth the return on investment.

it is lame it doesn't handle it. personally it's never been an issue but my uses are pretty straightforward.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:37 pm

Well, I guess if you do MIDI you should do it properly and not cripple the specs. I had a EMU Morpheus and would automate some stuff using sysex (I think)
Sold it don't miss it yeah I guess...it would be nice to have it, but it would take resources from going forward and (being selfish here) I don't really need it.
Guess it sucks if you do need it, I wonder what Soulwax do.

honeydont

Post by honeydont » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:11 am

Always running Bome's on the background... Native SysEx would be great.

steffensen

Post by steffensen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 am

When not beeing able to use NRPN thru Live, thats "almost" a showstopper for me and everyone else controlling our precious hw synths this way.

For me, im controlling my Mopho from BCR, with NRPN messages, but having them go thru Live, causes the messages to not work at all. Im kinda forced to only use midiCC instead, which dont work that great (for this task that is).

Richard Ellis

Post by Richard Ellis » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:39 am

Oh come on?

No Sys Ex?

I just came across this now when I dug out my old Supernova II, got a whole multi jamming, then realise dI couldn't save the patches.

Wackness!

Sort it out Abes
Richard

Macbook Core 2 Duo 2Ghz
2Gb RAM
OSX 10.6.2
Ableton Live Suite 8
Reason 4
Logic 9

Genelec 8020s
Technics 1210's
Ecler Nuo 4
NI A8DJ
VCI-100

steffensen

Post by steffensen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:50 am

Yea, it spretty odd. Wonder why really?
Ive solved this by routing my NRPN stuff outside of Live for the time beeing. Looking forward on a future fix of this, if possible however. :)

Grandmasterbird

Post by Grandmasterbird » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:47 am

+ 1 for sysex.

Granted, most people use soft synths and do everything inside their computers but there are still people who use Live with external hardware synths and have a need to store patches via sysex etc etc.

For Ableton to ignore this fact is an error in my opinion.....

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Max for Live probably will.
I was just thinking that now Live will become the grand central hub between MFL and the outside world it just should handle sysex..
so many people will want to control hardware with custom made MFL patches..
I mean Live was crippled but you will cripple MFL as well.. hope this will get sorted..

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:31 pm

Poster wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Max for Live probably will.
I was just thinking that now Live will become the grand central hub between MFL and the outside world it just should handle sysex..
so many people will want to control hardware with custom made MFL patches..
I mean Live was crippled but you will cripple MFL as well.. hope this will get sorted..
I didn't set these limits. May I refer you to a dozen rants about Program Changes? ;)

It should indeed just handle Sysex. And half of Live does, which makes the issue even more silly.
Even Ableton needs sysex to make their hardware talk.

m127

Post by m127 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 pm

I will just add my vote and say that SysEx support is so much needed in Live for it to compete more efficiently in this vast market.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:44 pm

The sound of Ableton! "one more time....one more time da di da da!" :evil:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:46 pm

+1, this really needs added

Tyko

Post by Tyko » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:58 pm

+1