Changing drum loops...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DickRoberts

Changing drum loops...?

Post by DickRoberts » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:04 am

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to Live. I've started learning the ropes of the program and producing some practice tracks so I can get the hang of things; but I have a question. This might sound stupid, but when I have a drum loop recorded, and I wanna change the pattern and record a different loop on the same track, how do I do it exactly?

This also goes for like a track with let's say a synth. If I have a chord progression layed down, and I want to change it up and record a new one on the same track how do I do it?

Thanks for the help!

xenomachino1

Re: Changing drum loops...?

Post by xenomachino1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:12 am

first click anywhere in the midi editor (where the notes are). Then type (control + a) to select all notes. Then hit "Delete". This is on a Mac, PC i'm not too sure about but it should be similar.

DickRoberts

Post by DickRoberts » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:45 am

Thanks for the reply xeno, but I'm not trying to delete the drum or instrument loop I already have recorded. When I'm at the part of the song where I want to change the drums or notes up a bit, I'm wondering how I can change them on the same track? Or would I just add a new track and do it like that? Sorry if I'm not being clear. And I'm on a mac btw.

tech44

Post by tech44 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:34 am

DickRoberts wrote:Hey guys, I'm pretty new to Live. I've started learning the ropes of the program and producing some practice tracks so I can get the hang of things; but I have a question. This might sound stupid, but when I have a drum loop recorded, and I wanna change the pattern and record a different loop on the same track, how do I do it exactly?

This also goes for like a track with let's say a synth. If I have a chord progression layed down, and I want to change it up and record a new one on the same track how do I do it?

Thanks for the help!
Are you talking about audio loops? Are you just wanting to rearrange the loops? Look up tutorial videos for "slice to midi" and see if that's what you need.
-----
Audiobombs.com: Free ableton racks, soundsets, touchosc templates and more.

Vios

Post by Vios » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:13 am

Are you in arrangement or session view? In session view you just double click on a blank spot to create a new clip. In arrangement view you select the area you'd like to insert a new clip and press Ctrl+Shift+M, or right click and select 'Insert MIDI clip'.

If you have an audio drum loop (ie not MIDI), there's no easy way to change the pattern. You'll have to splice and dice parts of the audio in arrangement view.

Hope this offers some help. Google 'ableton session view' and 'ableton arrangement view' if you don't know what I'm talking about

ark

Post by ark » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:33 am

Vios wrote:If you have an audio drum loop (ie not MIDI), there's no easy way to change the pattern. You'll have to splice and dice parts of the audio in arrangement view.
Slice To Drum Rack.