Mastering Tools... Whats your favorites?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Mint Invader

Mastering Tools... Whats your favorites?

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:37 pm

What plug ins do the forum use?

Ive been getting into the FABfilter eq's and looking into GLU. What you guys into?
Because Whatever.

Komodovaran

Re: Mastering Tools... Whats your favorites?

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Compressor or Limiter. Or both. :x

I have no idea how to make music, so why are you asking me? :x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Tarekith.

:P
Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 pm

:lol:

Haven't played around with mastering anything for awhile but since I bought that whole Nomad Bundle a few months ago I might try a couple small combos. Otherwise EQ8 and Limiter for pre-masters(?):p
ImageImage

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:20 pm

audio fx rack/mastering/ analog warmth or width and slap

limiter

ears

breaks

ears

repeat ^^

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:21 pm

My favourite mastering tool is a pair of ears that are not my own. I use a guy called Al in north Wales, he's great!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:37 pm

ollyb303 wrote:My favourite mastering tool is a pair of ears that are not my own. I use a guy called Al in north Wales, he's great!
I have to agree, after spending countless hours composing and producing a track, I don't have the objectivity any more. I am to emotionally invested in the track.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Im kinda suprised. I would have thought more people would be mastering their own tracks these days. hrm.
Because Whatever.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I A/B test the track against Slayer’s Reign in Blood and if it has more frequency range than that I consider it good to go. :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Mint Invader wrote:Im kinda suprised. I would have thought more people would be mastering their own tracks these days. hrm.
I've been surprised (happily) at how many people are going to an ME for the first time lately. I think they get curious because they hear so much about it these days, and then like what they hear when they get their track back. And let's be honest, there's a lot more people mastering these days at price ranges all over the board. It's not the domain of only those with record deals anymore.

My own choice for favorite tool these days is Fabfilter Pro-L. I love having 4 different algorithms to choose from, because they all sound different and have really increased my ability to pick the right limiting sound for the song. I don't even look at the name, I just quickly flip through them listening to hear which one sounds the best for that song. Very happy they gave you the option of turning off that annoying (pointless) scroll graph too.

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 pm

beats me wrote:I A/B test the track against Slayer’s Reign in Blood and if it has more frequency range than that I consider it good to go. :x
23 years ago one of my bands covered jesus saves, I was the vocalist for that track...I still remember the lyrics in my sleep, even having not actively listened to slayer in 20 years... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mint Invader wrote:Im kinda suprised. I would have thought more people would be mastering their own tracks these days. hrm.
I've been surprised (happily) at how many people are going to an ME for the first time lately. I think they get curious because they hear so much about it these days, and then like what they hear when they get their track back. And let's be honest, there's a lot more people mastering these days at price ranges all over the board. It's not the domain of only those with record deals anymore.

My own choice for favorite tool these days is Fabfilter Pro-L. I love having 4 different algorithms to choose from, because they all sound different and have really increased my ability to pick the right limiting sound for the song. I don't even look at the name, I just quickly flip through them listening to hear which one sounds the best for that song. Very happy they gave you the option of turning off that annoying (pointless) scroll graph too.

Is it a common problem that when people send you tracks the signal is already way too hot? I would think that would be a common problem.

Glad to hear your endorsement of the Pro-L. I bought it like a year ago and have yet to use it for anything productive. :x But your endorsement will inspire me to revisit it. :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Not really, I have pretty detailed instructions on my site for how to prep the files people are sending me, and most people seem to follow those just fine.

Occasionally I'll get a track that's obviously been already self mastered and just turned down 6dB, but pretty rare these days.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 pm

mine was leedsquietman. :cry:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 pm

PSP Neon (linear phase EQ), Nomad Pulse tech EQ's and Voxenego Elephant.
I'm cheap, Elephant is the one mastering compressor for under $200 that's applauded by mastering engineers.
Just got Neon for a great price. Honestly the main use of it is getting rid of the 40hz and lower range in a mix.
Plus adding a little high end etc. Pulse Tech is like a pre amp for EQ, very destructive but in a musical way.

I have no go to mastering compressor, mostly Nomad stuff, my mixes are dense to begin with so most of the time it's just barely used if at all.