The Brains behind NI starts his own company!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: The Brains behind NI starts his own company!

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:58 pm

...and hows about that office space? 8O Fucking fantastic. That floor looks like poured epoxy. wtf? lol

:x

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Upon investigating NI's site it looks like Stephan Schmitt is out of there, wording has changed on the info stuff about the CEOs etc.
Stephan hasn't left NI. He just stepped down from the management to focus on development which is great news for Reaktor. He's been doing stuff outside NI for years: http://bigbrainaudio.com/about/people/stephan-schmitt/
Machinesworking wrote:Seriously this is the guy behind Reaktor, Pro 53, FM8, Kontakt, and very probably Guitar Rig, Massive, and Maschine.
Maschine is the brainchild of James Walker Hall, a long time Reaktor developer who was also behind Kore.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Where do you have your info that he hasn't left? I haven't seen any official word either way from either NI or Schmitt himself. Internet rumours don't count, lol.

I find it impossible to believe that the other stakeholders of NI would let Schmitt develop what will clearly be competing product. :?

big brain is a far cry from actually starting what for all intents and purposes is a rival to NI. 8O

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 am

I think I read the same on the NI forums that he only stepped down from management and that he's still developing Reaktor.

Either way, what a huge legacy that have all come out of Native Instruments:
Ableton > Bitwig
Long time Reaktor developers also went on to form companies like Celemony and Sugar Bytes
and now Nonlinear Labs, whatever that's supposed to be about.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:59 am

humnumb wrote:I think I read the same on the NI forums that he only stepped down from management and that he's still developing Reaktor.
That was months ago, now he's heading a separate company that also works in the audio field. What more proof do you need that he's gone?
NI are not going to release a public statement about this considering Schmitt was the founding member, and the other heads popped up later.
You can however notice that on the NI site all references to Schmitt stepping down and continuing in development have gone from their "about" page.
Either way, what a huge legacy that have all come out of Native Instruments:
Ableton > Bitwig
Long time Reaktor developers also went on to form companies like Celemony and Sugar Bytes
and now Nonlinear Labs, whatever that's supposed to be about.
We'll see, but they just started so the wait will be a long time I would guess? It's been over two years since Bitwig was formed and the beta hasn't officially started yet. Agreed about the legacy! and again, it's all because of Schmitt and Reaktor/Generator!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:06 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Where do you have your info that he hasn't left? I haven't seen any official word either way from either NI or Schmitt himself. Internet rumours don't count, lol.

I find it impossible to believe that the other stakeholders of NI would let Schmitt develop what will clearly be competing product. :?

big brain is a far cry from actually starting what for all intents and purposes is a rival to NI. 8O

Well Bitwig started a rival to Live, Logic's original developers used to work at Cubase, and Ableton developers used to work at NI. So far no brutal lawsuits. There was a lot of tension between Emagic and Stienberg, but that's not that abnormal.

I have no doubt that Schmitt being an ex-ceo and main guy behind NI was fully capable of keeping his software code technologies for the most part under his own copyright and not the companies. Even if he had to write from scratch it would mean he could correct mistakes he made the first time.

Also again, seriously, what more proof do you guys need than him starting up an audio company that is not NI that he's left NI???

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:18 am

All the music software development companies in Germany use the same employment application. It's 3 pages with only text on the first page that says "Kraftwerk. Discuss."

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:30 am

:lol:
ImageImage

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:34 am

Stand By For Action !
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 pm

If they just opened the office last week, it's gonna be a while before they have anything in the market

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:26 pm

The idea of him leaving NI entirely is pure conjecture; so the burden of proof is on those saying he's left, not those saying he hasn't. I mean, that Skanner granular synth was just released a month or two ago by NI, and it has his name all over it -- he designed it.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:54 pm

What's funny is the butthurt Kore users in NI forums were so hopeful that he was going to make an alternative to Kore and emailed him about it and he responded immediately, dashing their unfulfilled dreams:

"Nice to hear that you like Kore so much, since I put a lot of time and effort into this product. And it is sad to know that people like you are so disappointed about the discontinuation.

Nonlinear Labs will focus on specialized instruments, effects and controllers. Therefore a product like Kore will not be on the roadmap."

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm

delicioso wrote:What's funny is the butthurt Kore users in NI forums were so hopeful that he was going to make an alternative to Kore and emailed him about it and he responded immediately, dashing their unfulfilled dreams:
You seem like a really nice person, not at all like the the typical internet troll. Oh wait? :P

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Machinesworking wrote:NI have IMO been bogged down with greedy irresponsible management practices for years now.
The original ideas and actual software is brilliant, but it's rarely more than solid beta in stability and it takes months for simple things to iron out.
Machinesworking wrote:I fucking hope to god he makes plug ins! and anally rapes NI's profit margin by being the real deal. I seriously am happy as a pig in shit about this!
You seem like a really nice person, not at all like the typical butthurt Kore owner who troll the internet with anti-NI vitriol. Oh wait? :P

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:44 pm

humnumb wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
delicioso wrote:What's funny is the butthurt Kore users in NI forums were so hopeful that he was going to make an alternative to Kore and emailed him about it and he responded immediately, dashing their unfulfilled dreams:
You seem like a really nice person, not at all like the the typical internet troll. Oh wait? :P
You seem like a really nice person, not at all like the typical butthurt Kore owner who troll the internet with anti-NI vitriol. Oh wait? :P
Personally I'm happy that the guy who seems like he has integrity is going out on his own. Why that is a reason to get into trolling "Kore users"? well I'm not sure why people like to piss on other people on the internet? must be something wrong in their personal life.