Studio One is leaving Ableton in the dust.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
gorillaknuckles

Re: Studio One is leaving Ableton in the dust.

Post by gorillaknuckles » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Good lord.

REAPER will now (by default on 32-bit versions) warn when memory use is too high, allowing you to correct the problem before things go wrong.

For me, the fact that Ableton hasn't even bothered to offer something like that is just plain barking mad.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 pm

gorillaknuckles wrote:Never tried Reaper... Im curious -- how is it in terms of ease of use / workflow? Easy like Ableton easy?
No & No. Reaper is unlike Live, its more a classic type of DAW. More like Logic/Cubase etc., very versatile and you need time to learn it, same like any other thing. But its worth to buy when you need a good brother for Live.

peace
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 pm

I was looking at some Presonus videos last night as I didn't really look much into their stuff except about knowing a few of their flagship products and between Studio One and QMix they gotta be kicking ass.

When I first heard about Studio One before it came out I dismissed it thinking it would be nothing more than a little beginner DAW they would distribute with their products. WRONG.

Even though Reaper is a lot less I'd pay more to not have to do a bunch of fiddling before having to get shit done, though I applaud Reaper.
ImageImage

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:31 pm

i was in reaper for 6 months or so before finding Live...for a while i still brought my stuff in there after rendering out of Live for the onceover and conversion to mp3, had it set as my default editor, now i use audition bc i really like the noise reduction abilities and some other stuff

i dont miss it at all, but everones needs are different..no session view...no grooves...no beatmatching...clip automation...midi control, fuggeddaboudit...the list goes on and on...far from intuitive getting all your vsts and shit lined up, maybe they have improved these things, im talking 2 years ago...

so, maybe a viable companion to live, but far far (distant, like light years) from a worthy replacement...

posssu

Post by posssu » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36 pm

wehkah wrote:Before anyone try Studio One, Reaper seems the better choice. Melodyne is integrated when you had buy a license, Melodyne needs a I-Lok.

I cannot compare Live & Studio One. Bitwig is more similar but we all have to wait what it brings. Maybe a lot of bugs at first & really good improvements on features.

my point of view.

peace&sun
T
Melodyne doesn't require iLok, you can use it with Challenge&Response as well.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:43 pm

posssu wrote:
wehkah wrote:Before anyone try Studio One, Reaper seems the better choice. Melodyne is integrated when you had buy a license, Melodyne needs a I-Lok.

I cannot compare Live & Studio One. Bitwig is more similar but we all have to wait what it brings. Maybe a lot of bugs at first & really good improvements on features.

my point of view.

peace&sun
T
Melodyne doesn't require iLok, you can use it with Challenge&Response as well.
Yeah, thx. I've overlooked the OR :)

THX a lot

bonzai

Post by bonzai » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Hmm... I hadn't even heard about Studio One until I read the sensational title of this thread. On first glance I would say Studio One is in direct competition with Logic and less with Ableton.

Ableton is geared towards a slightly different market than Studio One and Logic Pro.

Max for Live is one major feature that helps differentiate Live from these other DAWs.
Beyond that, I used to use Logic Pro for almost everything, but switched to Ableton because it was more minimal, in design, features, and content. When I say minimal, I mean its also more "modular" or whatever. You can take all your little devices and make a truly grand device, etc. Ableton basically created a new type of DAW... combining the features of many different types of audio environments.

Even the clip view is hugely useful for people. I don't even use it actually, only for sketching basic ideas. I use the arrange/sequencer view 95% of the time and I'm hugely happy with clip automation etc.

If you're looking for the next "flashy DAW" "Logic-clone" then yea Studio One would be pretty appealing. But if you want a powerful DAW thats also minimalistic in design, perfect for live sessions, and you've basically got third party AU/VSTs that you've mastered, then I cant really think of a more fun sequencer to use besides Ableton.

I guess Renoise, the tracker, is on Live's level of "fun", and might make for an interesting comparison given their differences, but again, Live is in its own class here.

I think even if they left Live exactly as it was and never provided another update, it still wouldnt be "left in the dust".

Part of the issue with this industry is that people want "something more" and the developers have to put a bunch of "flashy things" into their software... I can understand small feature requests, but the desire for "more stuff" or whatever just puzzles me.

Anyway thats my two Cents. Not sure what that is in Euros but Im sure its not much. :D

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:36 pm

The Melodyne integration is based on a new plugin host standard, developed by Presonus. Maybe all other DAWs will feature this in future.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?L=2&id=ara

cheers
T

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:23 am

I just downloaded the Studio One Demo and in my first seconds of use one really great feature hit me: you can actually RECONNECT your MIDI-devices!
You don't have to close the entire DAW, you just click one single button!
I often forget to turn on my devices before loading huge projects; waiting just to close the DAW is a great pita.
Control link is a stunning feature too. Very easy and quick to handle.

Ableton, however, still is my number one DAW, despite of it's lack of some more important features (64bit! multimonitor support! a search function which doesn't make me cry!...)
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

Tweekhead

Post by Tweekhead » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:07 am

This post is comical, as Pro Tools blows the poo poo out of Studio One for your basic "band" tracking and editing, and also, Ableton is a completely different performance based tool. Hey! Let's do a live set with Studio One! sure you could with mute buttons.........I once saw it done with a mixer an a blackfaced ADAT........ Also the whole part about singing into your phone as a convenience. Sure, I do it all the time with multiple apps. Ever heard of Curtis? How about the basic poo poo memo record app? Works fantastic!. Realize of course it's all 16 bit 44.1. If you want lo fi buy a reel to reel. If you want to have a fun time with an exciting, "sky is the limit" Reaktor/Ableton/Max4Live. There is no comparison.

doom_Oo7

Post by doom_Oo7 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 pm

"sky is the limit"
'I'd rather say 3,2 gb is the limit...
I have a song with my band, now when I open the live set I can't even get a VST window to show up, it just crash and tells me that it's out of memory... It's only 36 track and 10 track are only MIDI ones which goes to one or two VSTi's...

The only thing I think Live has superior than StudioOne (except from session mode but I don't use it) is the instrument racks like audio effect rack... It's so fun to stack many effects and have many chains all melted like I want... Does any other DAW has this? BTW, what has pro tools more than S1 for "band tracking"?

I mean, if the tracking is well done I generally don't feel the need to edit audio for years...
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

Tweekhead

Post by Tweekhead » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Hello!

To me it's all about what you started out on. Cubase, Emagic "Logic Audio", Pro Tools, Motu, etc..., so for me I started on Pro Tools, and it's the closest to a straightforward DAW that works, and works well. If you stuck John Lennon in a room with an SM57, and an old Tascam Portastudio cassette 4 track he would write something that would be mind blowing, and stand the test of time.

As far as a 3 gig limit, I've never encountered this issue. What CPU do you have? I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz, with 8 gigs of ram. Zero problems with large songs.

I have several friends who own commercial recording studios, and all of them use Pro Tools for a reason. The editing is the incredible. Stability is great too, "but you may need to tweek the settings", and If you don't care to edit for hours, make the artist do the take till it's right!

Ableton is great for experimentation. If your not using the session view I would highly recommend trying it out a bit. I also use Reaktor and Max4 Live, but I guess different strokes for different folks.

Atardecer

Post by Atardecer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 am

I do find it interesting that people are talking up Bitwig so much on the basis of one features page and no beta release. Keep in mind that Bitwig have responded that they don't have the resources to answer peoples enquiries about their software even now. From what I hear there's but a few people working on it. Tech Support is going to be next to non-existent. Something to consider. I doubnt Ableton are worried about them but they should be worried about keeping up with the times and keeping customers happy. Live has now joined that dinosaur Pro Tools as being one of the few major DAWS without 64bit support.

Studio One is great - the only thing stopping me from using it is quicktime support for the 64bit version. unless they've sorted that out?

Jim

Capitan Mission
Location: a llitle Brazilian beach, Buenos Aires or Patagonia Argentina

Post by Capitan Mission » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:41 am

Go and buy a legal copy of what you want.
One DAW cannot be to everybody, Ableton (or apple or native) cant listen to everybody. Is impossible to have the 100% of the user base happy.
I dont want a bloated software, I like Live for what it is. Also, people who complain a lot doesn't spend a lot of time making music, and I bet that a lot of them dont have a legal copy of Live (or any other).
Long live to Live!
Live! exploring sound space, taking inspiration from everithing. folk abstract pop classical

Atardecer

Post by Atardecer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 am

Capitan Mission wrote: Also, people who complain a lot doesn't spend a lot of time making music, and I bet that a lot of them dont have a legal copy of Live (or any other).
Where's the facepalm emoticon? I need it. All I've got is this :roll: