The Brains behind NI starts his own company!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
humnumb

Re: The Brains behind NI starts his own company!

Post by humnumb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Why that is a reason to get into trolling "Kore users"? well I'm not sure why people like to piss on other people on the internet?
Perhaps because people like you who are bitter about Kore being discontinued keep pissing on NI by trolling all over the internet?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:23 pm

humnumb wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Why that is a reason to get into trolling "Kore users"? well I'm not sure why people like to piss on other people on the internet?
Perhaps because people like you who are bitter about Kore being discontinued keep pissing on NI by trolling all over the internet?
Right, because a company is always more important that people. Kore users were handed a shitty ticket, that's not what this thread is about, but you and others are making it into that, congratulations.

Let's refresh shall we? This thread was started because the single person with creative vision who helped start NI has started his own company doing what looks like similar work to NI. Even if you love NI that has to be interesting to you, if it's not what are you doing in this thread? Ad homonym attacks on individual end users do not equal a conversation to me. :|

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Right, because a company is always more important that people. Kore users were handed a shitty ticket
No. But to me, a company like NI that continues to innovate and make some of the best tools available is always more important than a handful of bitter people that are trolling the internet to hate on them just because a product they happen to own was discontinued, acting like you have a right to lifetime updates. And all that for a product that still works as it did when you bought it. NI even went out of their way to update Kore to 64bit even after they discontinued it for crissakes. It just gets tiresome when you and others keep littering the interweb by beating this dead horse.
Machinesworking wrote:This thread was started because the single person with creative vision who helped start NI has started his own company doing what looks like similar work to NI.
Take a long hard look at the way you started this thread and how defensive you're being when people call you out on it.
Machinesworking wrote:NI have IMO been bogged down with greedy irresponsible management practices for years now.
The original ideas and actual software is brilliant, but it's rarely more than solid beta in stability and it takes months for simple things to iron out.
Machinesworking wrote:I fucking hope to god he makes plug ins! and anally rapes NI's profit margin by being the real deal. I seriously am happy as a pig in shit about this!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Glad you like NI. I do not like their business practices. I do not feel like rehashing that with you again, for the millionth time, in this thread.

Now what do you think of one of the main developers starting his own company?

Pretty interesting stuff I say!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:24 am

Bizarre that you can't find shit in terms of an interview or something. Would love to know his thoughts on the current state of NI, why he's doing this, what's keeping him from simply staying at NI? Does he really hate DJs? That kind of thing.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:42 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Bizarre that you can't find shit in terms of an interview or something. Would love to know his thoughts on the current state of NI, why he's doing this, what's keeping him from simply staying at NI? Does he really hate DJs? That kind of thing.

:x
The difference between a developer and a rock star is deep. He might have left because he wanted to try something new, it might have been because he sees the value in supporting all the software he makes without abandoning it etc. It could be that him and the CEO at NI just got on each others nerves in a personal way and it's been 15 years or so right? ... thing is none of those reasons are the type of things that developers will publicly address, because it's not worth it, it's airing dirty laundry in public.

Musicians and rock stars on the other hand will form allegiances and get into pissing matches about details like that. (lol see above!) Hell? it actually can be good for your career to be seen as opinionated and hyper critical. I can name only about two developers out of dozens that post online who flatly criticize other companies etc. It's just not seen as kosher when you're selling a product to dog the competition.

The DJ thing is in relation to an opening party I though? So only a tiny jab, not an attack. :)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:18 am

But it's the tiny jabs that we like to imagine are full blown attacks! :P :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:35 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:But it's the tiny jabs that we like to imagine are full blown attacks! :P :x
:lol:

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Very cool, my favorite insight into what he's up to.
My core interest lies more with creating musical instruments for live musicians rather than studio production gear. I’ve always been drawn to the real-time world, where performance is more important than production. That goes all the way from sound generation – real-time synthesis rather than pre-recorded samples – to actually making music with high-quality keyboards and controllers rather than with sequencing software.
There're your DJ jab LSZ! :lol:
So reading between the lines a bit he doesn't have any major issues with NI, but he would like to concentrate on musicians rather than DJ's and that's his reason for wanting to focus on what probably won't be a big money venture into electronic musical instruments. Though I have no doubt he'll do something interesting.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 pm

The most relevant parts from the interview:
I am still involved in specific projects with Native Instruments and will continue to do so. The relationship between Nonlinear Labs and Native Instruments is based on friendship and cooperation. There will be no competition between the companies. After all, that would be absurd – I am still a shareholder at NI!
I haven’t been directly involved with Reaktor development for nearly two years now at NI. Obviously, I use it all the time and have created a number of Reaktor instruments, like Reaktor Prism, Spark, and most recently Skanner. It is a fundamental part of my ongoing development of new instruments. And the actual core development of Reaktor has been doing fine without me!

You have to realize that Reaktor remains a very central part of NI. First of all, it is the prototyping tool for new instruments and effects at NI. This goes way back to origins of Pro–52, the B4, FM7, and continues through Guitar Rig, Massive, and many of the Maschine and Traktor effects as well. Right now, there are several product ideas that are being prototyped in Reaktor. And that will also be the case in the future.

In addition, Reaktor Player has become an important platform for bringing new instruments out on the market, like the very popular Razor, or the Time Exile instruments like the Mouth and the Finger. And there is a lot more in the pipeline!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:20 am

^ Yeah my favorite part of that is how B4 was prototyped in Reaktor, yet they won't release the Reaktor Ensemble version to people who own B4 because it's so much more profitable to sell them Kontakt banks in an upgrade path. :wink:

So as I thought, it's mostly about the direction that NI are going in, not anything personal. Looks like some of us who like hardcore controllers might want to open a savings account. The indication is not towards your cheap $1-300 device. LSZ, Stringtapper, I'm thinking of you two for sure. 8)

BLTNUSR

Post by BLTNUSR » Thu May 10, 2012 11:32 am

The history of Stephan Schmitt and NI, is one of monumental failure.
In his tenure as "CEO", Reaktor was abandoned for about 5 years, and many popular software products were ditched, until investors got a real CEO, who turned out to be worse than Mr. Schmitt!
He started his new company because his role at NI is minimal and his boring "modal synth" ensembles failed to interest customers.

The real geniuses behind Reaktor were Vadim Zavalishin and brilliant programmer Lazyfish, who created the best and most interesting ensembles for Reaktor.
Stephan Schmitt is no Steve Jobs, that's for sure.

NI are relegated now to selling booooring sampled packages like "Alicia Keys" piano, Abbey Road Drums and regurgitating whatever is left of their software synths over and over again for each new "Komplete" edition (a desperate money grab to keep their bloated company running), while the real innovation happens at companies like Ableton.

And let's not even bring up the Kore fiasco, who assured hundreds if not thousands of NI customers won't ever spend a dime on NI's products ever again.

Not sure why would anyone in their right mind should spend a lot of money in *any* of NI's products, knowing full well that such product could be completely ditched by the sideway tomorrow, like Kore, Pro-53, B4, etc, to make room for NI's greatest new "creation"
Rihanna's Piano anyone?, LOL

In the meantime, companies like Ableton, who were created AFTER NI, are eating their lunch, and creating innovative products for musicians and DJ's around the world!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm

BLTNUSR wrote: Stephan Schmitt is no Steve Jobs, that's for sure.

Yes, but then again who is? :x

Awesome first post, BTW. :x

Are you using any other screen names? :x

BLTNUSR

Post by BLTNUSR » Thu May 10, 2012 1:25 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
BLTNUSR wrote: Stephan Schmitt is no Steve Jobs, that's for sure.
Yes, but then again who is? :x
Robert Henke is a brilliant guy.. he created Ableton long after Cakewalk, Cubase and Logic were established products, and yet he managed to kick butt and to revolutionize the market, against all odds..

if you don't agree with this, then you shouldn't be here.. head over to the NI fan boy forum

also if you don't like my opinions, and have no arguments (which you obviously don't, because everything i said is obviously true) nobody is forcing you to reply.. just move on..

Good to know who the NI fan boys are.. do you work for them?
Last edited by BLTNUSR on Thu May 10, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.