Monitors = The most important part of your studio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrvinyl

Monitors = The most important part of your studio?

Post by mrvinyl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Monitors:

Are the following monitors (Mackie/Adam's/Genelec) going to have an affect on the type of room I have? It's a bit of a mindfield and living in Devon I can't go out and have a good listen to all 3 monitors, chat to a monitor expert and compare with some reference material. (In fact is there anywhere that you can go and do that now even in London?) Devon is slightly behind when it comes to high street monitor/speaker retail

I need the monitors before I can buy the stands.

My plans are to buy some fairly decent monitors with a budget of around £800-£1000. I've been looking at Mackie, Genelec & Adam's but I'm getting a lot of recommendations like 'go for these' 'these are ace' 'I recommend these because of the low end' 'mackie are horrid' 'get k-roks they are better for the money' etc

I actually really liked the sound of the mackie's as they have them sat on a Neve where I work in Plymouth and I have to admit they sound lovely ..... but I am constantly told by friends and colleagues to stay away, which confuses me. (even Paul White endorses the mackies on their website, anyone out here got them and can feedback on this post?)

I would be happy to save more money (£1360) for the genelec 8250A which are stated they are more suitable for small spaces..... if it meant that much difference to my output!

I'm producing mainly electronic music with the odd vocal project so most is mixed in the box and the Low frequencies especially sub are really important for me.

Any ideas or pointers on my action plan for this would be great.
House Music Made In England...
Twitter
Facebook

Sage

Re: Monitors = The most important part of your studio?

Post by Sage » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:18 pm

There's always Bristol if you venture outside of Devon (Which is just behind generally :P).

Digital Village have a small shop there and there's what used to be Sound Control (I think it's called Reverb now?).

mrvinyl

Post by mrvinyl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm pretty sure DV247 Bristol don't have the monitors I want to try available in store!
Twitter
Facebook

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:51 pm

mrvinyl wrote:I'm pretty sure DV247 Bristol don't have the monitors I want to try available in store!
No harm in giving them a call.

mrvinyl

Post by mrvinyl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I Did
Twitter
Facebook

wrongun

Post by wrongun » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Yeah they can bring them into the shop from the warehouse (dv). Just let them know what you want to try out and give them time to get them in. I did this with some keyboards there. However they couldnt get all the keyboards in I wanted to try. I cant see a problem with them getting the monitors you mention there.

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:34 pm

If it's of an use, I have a set of Genelec 8030A's and I find them great - they have the same clarity at both low and high volumes which I think is important. I have mates in smaller studio's that have 8020A's and they sound almost exactly the same as mine. I like the fact that even though they are different sized speakers, they essentially have the same sound - just designed for a smaller space. Another mate has a set of KRK's (Rokit 6's I think) and he really likes them - I don't think they are quite as flat as Genelec's, but they do sound really good. I have never personally heard Adam's or Mackie's used in a studio, so commenting on them would be pointless!

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 am

I love my Genies, the response is not coloured, the soundstage and definition are fab.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:34 am

Another plug for focal, the CMS- 65's are half the price of Genelecs and personally I liked the sound better.